Reading 1001 discussion

Past annual reads > Annual 2018 - The Water Margin

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (last edited Dec 29, 2017 01:19PM) (new)

Book Wormy | 1840 comments Mod
Annual 2018 - The Water Margin by Shi Nai'an

There are several translations available for this and each translation has a different number of chapters varying from 70 -120. According to Wikipedia one of the best English translations is Sidney Shapiro's 1980 translation Outlaws of the Marsh which is a 100 chapter translation in 4 volumes. This translation is the one that my library has and it will be the version I will be using for the discussion.

Discussion breakdown as follows:

100 Chapter translation;
Jan- March Chapters 1 - 25
April - June Chapters 26 - 50
July - September Chapters 51 - 75
August - December Chapters 76 - 100

70 Chapter Translations:
Jan - April Chapters 1 - 25
May - August Chapters 26 - 50
Sept - December Chapters 51 - 70

Points breakdown 100 Chapter Version
Chapters 1 - 25 = 5 points
Chapters 26 - 50 = 5 points + 5 bonus points for reading between April - June
Chapters 51- 75 = 5 points + 5 bonus points for reading between July - September
Chapters 76 - 100 = 5 points + 5 bonus points for reading between October - December
5 bonus points for completing the whole book in 2018.
Total 40 points

Points Breakdown 70 Chapter version
Chapters 1 - 25 = 5 points
Chapters 26 - 50 = 5 points + 5 bonus points for reading between May - August
Chapters 51 - 70 = 5 points + 5 bonus points for reading between September and December
5 bonus points for completing the whole book in 2018.
Total 30 points

If anyone is using the 120 chapter version can you let me know and I will add schedule and points.

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Overview from Goodreads:

China's great classic novel Outlaws of the Marsh, written in the fourteenth century, is a fictional account of twelfth-century events during the Song Dynasty. One by one, over a hundred men and women are forced by the harsh feudal officialdom to take to the hills. They band together and defeat every attempt of the government troops to crush them. Within this framework we find intrigue, adventure, murder, warfare, romance ... in a connected series of fascinating individual tales, told in the suspenseful manner of the traditional storyteller.

message 3: by Book (last edited Dec 23, 2017 03:05AM) (new)

About the author / translator from Goodreads:

Author Shi Nai'an (Chinese: 施耐庵; pinyin: Shī Nài'ān, ca. 1296–1372), was a Chinese writer from Suzhou. He was attributed as the first compiler of the Water Margin, one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

Not much biographical information is known about him. Traditionally it was believed that he was a teacher of Luo Guanzhong, who was attributed as a main compiler of Romance of Three Kingdoms, another of the Four Great Classical Novels. Some modern scholars doubt that Shi actually existed, but was merely a pseudonym for Luo himself.

Editor? Luo Ben (c. 1330–1400), better known by his style name Luo Guanzhong (罗贯中) (Mandarin pronunciation: [lwɔ kwantʂʊŋ]), was a Chinese writer who lived during the Yuan Dynasty. He was also known by his pseudonym Huhai Sanren (Chinese: 湖海散人; pinyin: Húhǎi Sǎnrén; literally "Leisure Man of Lakes and Seas"). Luo was attributed with writing Romance of the Three Kingdoms and editing Water Margin, two of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

Translator Sidney Shapiro American author and translator who has been naturalised as a citizen of China.

He is a member of the People's Political Consultative Conference, a governmental assembly of the PRC which ostensibly provides a forum for input from non-Communist political organizations.

For nearly 50 years, he was employed by the state-run Foreign Languages Press (FLP) as a translator of works of Chinese literature. He is most well known for his highly regarded English version of Outlaws of the Marsh, one of the most important classics of Chinese literature. FLP recently reissued Shapiro's translation as part of a bilingual collection called Library of Chinese Classics.

message 4: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments My library has a couple of different versions, but a couple are reference only. Another is 2 volumes, but you have to request it in person because....I don’t know why. I will be sorting this all out in January.

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) | 15 comments I have both Jackson and Shapiro's versions as e-books.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 221 comments I will probably read the Swedish translation by Göran Malmqvist, if i can get hold of my set (it's at my mother's house and she lives quite far away). I think this is a translation of the 70 chapter version.
Den törstige munken och hans dryckesbröder (Berättelser från träskmarkerna, #1) by Shi Nai'an Tigerdödaren Wu Song och hans vapenbröder (Berättelser från träskmarkerna, #2) by Shi Nai'an Den Svarta Virvelvinden och Hans Kumpaner (Berättelser från Träskmarkerna #3) by Shi Nai'an Hältarna på Berget Liang (Berättelser från Träskmarkerna #4) by Shi Nai'an

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I will have the same version that you are using.

message 8: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I have a French edition, two volumes, 71 chapters.

message 9: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (sprainedbrain) | 71 comments This will be my first time doing an annual read. Do we just focus on getting volume 1 done at any time from January-March, or is there a schedule to follow through those months? Just wondering if there will be discussions throughout each month or just at the end of volume 1, so that I don’t fall behind or get too far ahead. 😃

message 10: by Book (new)

There is no set schedule for this yearly read just aim to read volume 1 between Jan - Mar I will add questions as we go along.

message 11: by Amie (last edited Dec 28, 2017 03:07PM) (new)

Amie (amie-b) | 82 comments I just found the Shapiro edition for kindle for $3.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Outlaws-Marsh-...

message 12: by Daisey (new)

Daisey | 228 comments Amie wrote: "I just found the Shapiro edition for kindle for $3.99.

I saw this kindle version, but based on page count I was not sure if it was just volume 1 or the whole thing. Have you checked that it includes all four volumes?

If it is, I'll go ahead and buy it, if not I'm going to start with Jackson's translation available from the library and see how I like the story before considering spending more.

message 13: by Amie (new)

Amie (amie-b) | 82 comments Daisey wrote: "Amie wrote: "I just found the Shapiro edition for kindle for $3.99.

I saw this kindle version, but based on page count I was not sure if it was just volume 1 or the whole thing. Have you checked ..."

I was concerned too. But in comments at the top Book said "According to Wikipedia one of the best English translations is Sidney Shapiro's 1980 translation Outlaws of the Marsh which is a 100 chapter translation in 4 volumes."
I checked my e-book and it has 100 chapters. So I'm thinking it is the right one.

message 14: by Daisey (new)

Daisey | 228 comments Amie wrote: "Daisey wrote: "Amie wrote: "I just found the Shapiro edition for kindle for $3.99.

I saw this kindle version, but based on page count I was not sure if it was just volume 1 or the whole thing. Ha..."

Fantastic! Thanks!

message 15: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (sprainedbrain) | 71 comments Thanks, Book Wormy!

I got the same kindle edition that Amie mentioned, and while it has 100 chapters, I don’t see that it’s broken down into volumes. So, I need to figure out how many chapters are in each volume next.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Amie wrote: "Daisey wrote: "Amie wrote: "I just found the Shapiro edition for kindle for $3.99.

I saw this kindle version, but based on page count I was not sure if it was just volume 1 or the whole thing. Ha..."

THANKS! I just bought it... so I will be participating.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jenni wrote: "Thanks, Book Wormy!

I got the same kindle edition that Amie mentioned, and while it has 100 chapters, I don’t see that it’s broken down into volumes. So, I need to figure out how many chapters are..."

If you do can you please share?

message 18: by Book (new)

With regard to the Shapiro edition as I am getting the books from the library I only know that volume 1 is 25 chapters so I am guessing that logically each volume will be 25 chapters once I get the next volume nearer to March I will confirm.

message 19: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments I have the Shapiro edition, all the volumes are 25 chapters.

message 20: by Book (new)

Chili wrote: "I have the Shapiro edition, all the volumes are 25 chapters."

Thanks for confirming Chili

message 21: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (sprainedbrain) | 71 comments Great! Thank you for that info. 😃

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Thanks!

message 23: by Book (new)

Kjatija6ja33 wrote: "there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve http://www.allislamicquotes.com"

Your comment appears to have nothing to do with this discussion so I have deleted it.

Please ensure all comments added relate to the 1001 books to read list.