Play Book Tag discussion

The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
This topic is about The Fossil Hunter
Archive: Other Books > The Fossil Hunter / Shelley Emling. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8626 comments The Fossil Hunter / Shelley Emling
4 stars

Mary Anning was born in 1799 in Lyme Regis, England. She and her father would walk along the short and hunt for fossils. When she was 12, she discovered an entire dinosaur skeleton, the first one (or one of the first)! They weren’t yet called dinosaurs, but she continued to hunt for fossils throughout her life (to sell them so she could support her mother and brother after her father died). She was mostly not recognized for everything she’d done, as she was a woman. It was a time when evolution was not yet known and with all the new discoveries, it was the start of religion vs. science debate. She became friends with many male scientists – geologist and paleontologists.

I really enjoyed this! I was originally introduced to Mary via Tracy Chevalier’s “Remarkable Creatures”, then decided to find some nonfiction. Much of the book was also history, science, geology, paleontology, religion vs. science, as well as a biography about Mary. All of which I found interesting.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments This sounds right up my alley ... I really liked Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures

LibraryCin | 8626 comments Book Concierge wrote: "This sounds right up my alley ... I really liked Chevalier's Remarkable Creatures"

Yes, I really think you'd like this one, BC!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Loved this book