Horror Aficionados discussion

The House by the Churchyard
This topic is about The House by the Churchyard
Buddy Reads > The House by the Churchyard

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Latasha (latasha513) | 10685 comments Mod
Hello! Kumar and I will be reading this classic beginning on Jan.15th. Anyone can join.

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Awesome.
Please do join us if you are interested.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments I'll join you. Thanks for the invite and group link. 😊

your welcome, the more the merrier :)

message 5: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 79 comments I would like to join in providing my library has this book. So far the search results that come up for M R James are Collected Ghost Stories. Whether or not this story in particular is among the "collected ghost stories" in this book I do not know. Has anybody read Collected Ghost Stories?

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments I have read M.R James. Two of his ghost story books.
He is damn good.
The one we will read isn't in the collection.

The House by the churchyard is by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu

message 7: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 79 comments Oh I didn't even realize who the author was! My mistake.

you should be able to find it free on amazon

Harsh wrote: "I have read M.R James. Two of his ghost story books.
He is damn good.
The one we will read isn't in the collection.

The House by the churchyard is by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu"

yes he is!

have y'all read Joseph Sheridan le Fanu before? I've read Carmilla and liked it. Unlce Silas and did not like it. I feel like I've read Green Tea but I can't remember for sure.

message 12: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments I have read A Stable for Nightmares by Le Fanu. A collection of his short gothic stories. It was good enough and I really liked Carmilla alot.

I have an ebook version of Uncle Silas but I am not sure when I will start with it.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments Everyone still up for this? Have got my copy ready to go for the 15th. 😊

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments Latasha wrote: "have y'all read Joseph Sheridan le Fanu before? I've read Carmilla and liked it. Unlce Silas and did not like it. I feel like I've read Green Tea but I can't remember for sure."

Read Uncle Silas - hated it!
Read Madam Crowl's Ghost - loved every story.
Read Green Tea - excellent.

I'm looking forward to this one though; be nice to get into one of his longer works, rather than short stories.

I’m still up for it. I thought this was one of his longer pieces?

Oh I think I misread that lol.

i'll probably start this tonight.

Mines 450 pages! 😱

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments Don't worry, mine's 496! 😱

I've borrowed a really nice, 1965 hardback version from somebody, and so I can't take it to work or in the bath like I do with my own books.

Will probably only get a few pages read each evening, but hopefully a big chunk next weekend. Will start it tomorrow.

I love reading in the bath too. I can't read at work, people won't leave me all ne!

message 21: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments I will start with it now

message 22: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments I prefer reading in bed much more or while I am smoking a cigarette or two

I usually read in bed too.

message 24: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments The beginning seems slow.

message 25: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Le Fanu's writing without any doubt is literary. I don't want to be the one who comes to conclusions so soon but the characters seem dull.
We all have read books with a hell lot of characters.
But some characters here I think might be or are dull enough for a reader's interest.

Having said that
The book is slowly picking pace now after chapter 1

Thank goodness! I was thinking ohh no, what have I agreed to? 😝

message 27: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments 😆
Well I am very fond of le Fanu's Carmilla and other short stories.
But the novels I guess are not of the highest quality. I am doubtful about reading uncle Silas now.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments It's definitely hard going, at least until you get used to the 18th century Irish dialect - although I'm still trying to figure out what "Aich o' them a wipe iv a poker" means - something along the lines of "Yes, they're made by being cracked with a poker."??!

This is supposed to be a masterpiece though, so I'm sticking with it, although I think it will be a long read...

I think it's going to be a long read as well.

'tid

o' the yard here; there's ould Darby's coffin, at the bottom, down there, sound enough to stand on, as you see, wid a plank; an' he was buried in the year '93. Why, look at the coffin this skull belongs to, 'tid go into powdher between your fingers; 'tis nothin' but tindher.' 'I believe you're right, Mr. Mattocks.' 'Phiat! to be sure. 'Tis longer undher ground by thirty

OMG what?!

It was his custom to care very tenderly for the bones turned up by the sexton, and to wait with an awful solicitude until, after the reading of the funeral service, he saw them gently replaced, as nearly as might be, in their old bed; and discouraging all idle curiosity or levity respecting them, with a solemn rebuke, which all respected. Therefore it was, that so soon as he appeared the skull was, in Hibernian phrase, 'dropt like a hot potato,' and the grave-digger betook himself to his spade so nimbly.

Are they reusing the churchyard or just bad recording keeping? From the sound of that, this kind of thing happens a lot.

message 33: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Latasha wrote: "It was his custom to care very tenderly for the bones turned up by the sexton, and to wait with an awful solicitude until, after the reading of the funeral service, he saw them gently replaced, as ..."

A little bit of both I will say.

message 34: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments I become a slow reader at times.
And this one I guess will take me a month.
Oh my

I don’t know if I can stay with this. It keeps putting me to sleep.

message 36: by Harsh (last edited Jan 20, 2018 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Latasha wrote: "I don’t know if I can stay with this. It keeps putting me to sleep."

😅 You are not helping Latasha
I am trying to stick with it even though the story even after 6 chapters seems boring.

You were right, there are alot of mistakes in the Kindle version. Some of the words are out of this world.

But as I have said it is not only the words.
The characters seem dull and no matter how much I keep reading, it is not able to rouse my interests in any way

Harsh wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I don’t know if I can stay with this. It keeps putting me to sleep."

😅 You are not helping Latasha
I am trying to stick with it even though the story even after 6 chapters seems b..."

sorry!! I kept falling asleep every time I started reading it. I made a rule a few years ago that if I couldn't get into a book, it's ok to quit it. there's a ton on my to read list and I'm not going to spend time finishing a book I don't like. since then I have stuck to it.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments I've not had any time this weekend to read as been super busy and sociable for a change... I'm going to give it another go though; maybe when I'm less tired this time!

message 39: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Same goes with me
I think I might quit as even I have alot on my to read list.

I have been busy of late as well
Job hunting.
I will be done with my college and my Management studies in 4 months and I have started appearing for interviews.
Yet I tried to stick with it.

Good luck!

message 41: by Harsh (new) - rated it 1 star

Harsh Kumar (harshkumar) | 187 comments Thank you Latasha