Play Book Tag discussion

Armada
This topic is about Armada
Archive: Other Books > Armada by Ernest Cline 3.5 stars (5 stars for Wil Wheaton's audiobook narration)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6930 comments 3.5 stars rounded up

5 stars to Wil Wheaton for another brilliant audiobook performance.

Zack Lightman, video-gaming afficionado is daydreaming in class when he sees what cannot possibly be real--it's a spaceship from an online game. Sure he is losing his grip on reality, he leaves school to find an old notebook from his late father, who he already knows lost his grip on reality. But, of course, this is scifi, and the ship not only is real, but son Zack, who is ranked fifth in the entire world in the game, Armada, is recruited to fight aliens.

This is not Ready Player One, but to be fair, for me it's nearly as good--what made both of these books really work for me was Wil Wheaton's narration. True, I stopped listening to finish this book because I didn't feel like starting something more serious at this time of year, and it wasn't badly written. Fun, young-adult scifi, more fun on audio.

message 2: by Jgrace (last edited Dec 22, 2017 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jgrace | 2762 comments Karin wrote: "3.5 stars rounded up

Zack Lightman, video-gaming afficionado is daydreaming in class when he sees what cannot possibly be real-..."

Even the narration couldn’t save it for me.

Karin | 6930 comments Jgrace wrote: "Karin wrote: "3.5 stars rounded up

Zack Lightman, video-gaming afficionado is daydreaming in class when he sees what cannot pos..."

I'm guessing that you mean couldn't, and I can see that could be the case. It's one of those books I have to be in the right mood for, and my son and I started listening to it together. He's still listening, so I may have to get him the audiobook for Ready Player One as well.

Jgrace | 2762 comments Karin wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "Karin wrote: "3.5 stars rounded up

Zack Lightman, video-gaming afficionado is daydreaming in class when he sees ..."

True. Fixed it. Ready Player One was far better.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I agree with you. I found the story nowhere near as engaging as Ready Player One. what saved the book for me as listening to Wil Wheaton's narration. I am listening to Joe Hill's new book Strange Weather which consists of four novella's, each narrated by a different reader. The first one was Wil Wheaton and he did a great job once again.