What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Last Bookaneer
This topic is about The Last Bookaneer
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical fiction, possibly YA. Young man and old man who steal rare books/make counterfeit copies. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (last edited Dec 22, 2017 12:43PM) (new) - added it

Laurel | 3 comments I think the book is from the point of view of the younger guy. In the beginning he owns a small book stall on the street which doesn't make much money. The young guy meets the old man when he buys (or steals?) something from the book stall. Eventually somehow the old man convinces the young guy to join him in making counterfeit books/stealing rare ones. The two men travel to an isolated island by boat to the house of a rich family who has a really rare item that they want to steal. The family's house was commissioned by the very rich father/husband, who is now dead. The mother and children hate the house and miss their other home (in England?). The weather on the island is extremely hot and humid. The two men stay in a really small cabin in the wilderness of that island. The rich family has some of the indigenous people as slaves/servants. There's a daughter that is attracted to the younger guy. The family trusts the two men and thinks they are there for some other purpose but eventually discovers the true reason. I read this book in 2013 or 2014.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33461 comments Mod
A long shot - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón?

Laurel, what's the time period and location (country/region) of the story?

Can you describe some of the rare books and their authors?

message 3: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel | 3 comments Wasn't that one :c The country the two men were from was an English speaking country in Europe, probably England. Time period was before electricity, so around the 1700s maybe?

message 5: by Laurel (new) - added it

Laurel | 3 comments That's it! Thank you so much that was driving me crazy