The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

JANUARY 2018 THEME > January 2018 Theme: NEW YEAR, NEW AUTHOR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zuky (last edited Dec 29, 2017 03:28AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

Can you believe it's 2018 in just 10 days? The madness!

A new month means a new theme here in The BookBum Club, which I've revealed below, but just a quick note to say that anyone who has read a book for December's theme but hasn't listed it in the review thread, please do so now so I can include you in my monthly round-up blog post! Post a link to your review at this link: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

~

Anyway, onto this months theme!

THE THEME FOR JANUARY IS: NEW YEAR, NEW AUTHOR

For this theme, read any book by an author you’ve never read before!

Not such a catchy name this month... but this theme opens up a world of possibilities for you! Remember, you can read as many books as you like for each theme, so if you have loads of new authors on the horizon... read 'em all!

~

I'll be reading:

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

My uncle bought me this one for my birthday last month and I’m really eager to read it! I’ve not branched out to the King offspring stuff yet so I think this is as good a time as any!

~

Let us know what book you'll be choosing to read this month!

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Hi Zuky!

Do I post my December theme review here?

message 3: by Zuky (new)

Holly wrote: "Hi Zuky!

Do I post my December theme review here?"

Hi Holly! no please post it in this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... ! Sorry if I made that confusing! Thanks :-)

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Oh wow this is going to be a hard one for me to choose because I have so many books on my shelves that are by authors I’ve never read before. When I’m able to pick just one I will come back and let y’all know what I plan to read!!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 14 comments Most of the books I'm already planning to read in January are by new-to-me authors! How will I pick just one for this???

M. (Inside My Library Mind) (insidemylibrarymind) | 11 comments oooh this is such a good topic! And a great way to start the year off

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) I tend to read new authors a lot so I’ll definitely have something ready for this :)

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments I seem to have gone mad with Reading Challenges for 2018 (yes, already!) so I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and opt for Olive Kitteridge which is also on my 2018 TBR Pile Challenge list. I've never read any of Elizabeth Strout's books although I've heard good things about them.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Zuky wrote: "Holly wrote: "Hi Zuky!

Do I post my December theme review here?"

Hi Holly! no please post it in this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... ! Sorry if I made..."

Got it! Thank you!

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 13 comments Great topic just have to decide who it will be 😊

message 11: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I'll will be reading They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. I have to have finish by sometime in January for another book club. Plus I have never read anything by him before but I have heard really good things about his books.

message 12: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) I'll read Charles Dicken. Surprise!

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I'll be reading Stephen King. My first!

message 14: by Zuky (new)

Holly wrote: "I'll be reading Stephen King. My first!"

Oo, we're both reading a book from the King line! Enjoy!
What book will you pick up?

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Zuky wrote: "Holly wrote: "I'll be reading Stephen King. My first!"

Oo, we're both reading a book from the King line! Enjoy!
What book will you pick up?"

Hey...I'm reading Under the Dome with instagram group (pturners_bookblog) You should join us!

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate Just picked out and ordered my book for January! I am going to be reading The House on Foster Hill by Jamie Jo Wright. It should be here Sunday, can't wait to get started!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Top of my list for January is the author I feel most guilty about never having read - Octavia E. Butler’s Bloodchild and Other Stories.

message 18: by Tshering Peldon (new)

Tshering Peldon (tpelljam) | 1 comments I will be reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee :) Happy New Year 🎊

message 19: by Nora (new)

Nora  (raccoonstudiez) Oh, that is great! I think I will be reading The Hobbit. I never got around to read something by J.R.R Tolkien so I am really excited for it. I will be reading it in German, simply because I got a copy of it at home.

message 20: by gabi (new)

gabi chanudet Hearts & Other Body Parts by Ira Bloom

I've been in this group for a while but I've never participated but here I am and I'm so happy to finally be interacting with my fellow Bookbums. So for this theme I will be reading a book by Ira Bloom. I'm so excited and I hope everyone has an amazing new year!!!

message 21: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments I wasn't able to finish my book for the December theme but for this one I'm so excited and I've already started the book - Good Me Bad Me: The Sunday Times Bestseller by Ali Land. So far it's very creepy and character driven - both things I love in a book!!

message 22: by Zuky (new)

Hafsa Z.U wrote: "I wasn't able to finish my book for the December theme but for this one I'm so excited and I've already started the book - Good Me Bad Me: The Sunday Times Bestseller by Ali Land. S..."

Enjoy the book! I read that one a while back and really loved it :-)

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I have finally decided on what I’m going to read for January. I’m going to be reading Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. I meant to read this last year but never got around to it.

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Hey guys, I'm reading Daphne Du Maurier's classic - REBECCA! Really looking forward to delving into this one - I hear it's one of the best!

message 25: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Lissa wrote: "Hey guys, I'm reading Daphne Du Maurier's classic - REBECCA! Really looking forward to delving into this one - I hear it's one of the best!"

I hope you enjoy it- My favorite book of all (then you can watch the movie!)

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Holly wrote: "Lissa wrote: "Hey guys, I'm reading Daphne Du Maurier's classic - REBECCA! Really looking forward to delving into this one - I hear it's one of the best!"

I hope you enjoy it- My favorite book of ..."

That is the plan! I recently became a fan of Alfred Hitchcock and this book came HIGHLY recommended to me from a fabulous co-worker as both a book and movie.

message 27: by Ali (new)

Ali (the_sunday_feeling) | 16 comments Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!

message 28: by Ali (new)

Ali (the_sunday_feeling) | 16 comments Hafsa Z.U wrote: "I wasn't able to finish my book for the December theme but for this one I'm so excited and I've already started the book - Good Me Bad Me: The Sunday Times Bestseller by Ali Land. S..."

I read this one a couple of months ago and couldn't put it down. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

message 29: by Zuky (new)

Ali wrote: "Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!"

Agh Ali!!! I hope you LOVE it! Dark Matter was my favourite read of 2016!!

message 30: by Ali (new)

Ali (the_sunday_feeling) | 16 comments Zuky wrote: "Ali wrote: "Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!"

Agh Ali!!! I hope you LOVE it! Dark Matter was my favourite read o..."

Zuky I am already hocked and I have only read chapter 1 in preparation for my FIF this week! It has been on my TBR for sooo long and I really should have got to it before now but hey ho!
Will I be disappointed with everything I read afterwards?!

message 31: by Zuky (new)

Ali wrote: "Zuky wrote: "Ali wrote: "Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!"

Agh Ali!!! I hope you LOVE it! Dark Matter was my fav..."

Yes you will be! Haha :P

message 32: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 22 comments I’m reading, Theodora Goss; The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter :)

Sam (Clues and Reviews) (cluesandreviews) | 3 comments I have so many authors on my TBR list for January that I haven't read before. I am starting with The Night Bird by Brian Freeman. I saw this book around a ton last year and then it was nominated during the Goodreads Choice Awards, I knew I had to read it! His second book is coming out later this month so it is good timing all around!

message 34: by gabi (new)

gabi chanudet I just finished my book for this month last night! It was so amazing!!!! Hearts & Other Body Parts

message 35: by Saloni (new)

Saloni Chudgar | 2 comments I think I'm going to go with The Krishna Key by Ashwin Sanghi .
I've wanted to read this book for so long.

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate A (kate_everywhere) | 7 comments I cant decide between Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks or Yesterday by Felicia Yap, both sound really good, I think it'll be a spur of the moment decision :)

message 37: by Jamie :) (new)

Jamie :) | 2 comments Ooh this is a good theme I think I'll add the book Warcross by Marie Lu since I've never read her before

message 38: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Maher | 10 comments I’m reading The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce :)

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Ali wrote: "Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!"

This was my all time favorite book by Blake Crouch! Such a fast passed crazy ride, AND I've never read anything quite like it!

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Zuky wrote: "Ali wrote: "Hey everyone! I am reading "Dark Matter" by Black Crouch this month. Started it last night and am already obsessed!!"

Agh Ali!!! I hope you LOVE it! Dark Matter was my favourite read o..."

Mine too Ali!

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments Sam (Clues and Reviews) wrote: "I have so many authors on my TBR list for January that I haven't read before. I am starting with The Night Bird by Brian Freeman. I saw this book around a ton last year and then it was nominated du..."

I loved this read, felt it was so original, I can't wait for the release of the Voice Inside!

message 42: by Hafsa | حفصہ (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments Ali wrote: "Hafsa Z.U wrote: "I wasn't able to finish my book for the December theme but for this one I'm so excited and I've already started the book - [book:Good Me Bad Me: The Sunday Times Bestseller|343890..."

Zuky wrote: "Hafsa Z.U wrote: "I wasn't able to finish my book for the December theme but for this one I'm so excited and I've already started the book - [book:Good Me Bad Me: The Sunday Times Bestseller|343890..."

I did end up enjoying this more than I thought and maybe just as much as you guys!

message 43: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer A Drop in the Ocean by Jenni Ogden

M. (Inside My Library Mind) (insidemylibrarymind) | 11 comments This month has been basically a whole month of new authors so far! The book I decided to go for the bookclub was Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia!

message 45: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I am reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - this has been pure escapism and a nice break from the arctic cold and gloomy weather :)

message 46: by Rita (new)

Rita (bookishr) | 5 comments I am so excited for this month's theme! I am reading This Will Be My Undoing by Morgan Jerkins. I have never read anything of hers, so I'm excited to get to know a new writer 😊

(Mellifluous Grant) (raeallic) | 18 comments I've finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, another new to me author, but haven't quite finished with Rebecca....I hit a wall I hope to overcome it and finish this by the end of January.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Zuky (new)

Lissa wrote: "I've finished The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, another new to me author, but haven't quite finished with Rebecca....I hit a wall I hope to overcome it and finish this by the end of January.

https://..."

Hi Lissa, can you please put your review link in this thread >>(https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...)
Just so I can find them all in one place and not miss any when I do my big master post at the end of the month! Thanks! :-)

message 49: by MC (new)

MC Turner Nevermore:Jessica Townsend
Illuminae:Amie Kaufman and Jay kristoff

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments Just finished my first Marie Lu book! (It won't be my last.) I'll put my review of Warcross up in the review thread. :)

« previous 1