Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Kaitlyn's 2018 ATYI52B Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaitlyn (last edited Sep 30, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 5 comments I wasn't sure I was going to do this challenge, but the more lists I read, the more I wanna give this a shot!

39 / 52

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
5. A book about or inspired by real events
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
7. A gothic novel
8. An "own voices" book
9. A book with a body part in the title
10. An author's debut book
11. A literary fiction
12. A book set in Africa or South America
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
16. A narrative nonfiction
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
18. A book with a location in the title
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
21. A book written in first person perspective
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
23. A medical or legal thriller
24. A book with a map
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
26. A book with a text only cover
27. A book about surviving a hardship
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title
30. A short book
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to [Russia]
32. An alternate history book
33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you ["shojo"]
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call ["part of a series of 5 or more books"]
35. A book featuring a murder
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
38. A science book or a science fiction book
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
44. A ghost story
45. A book that intimidates/scares you
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
50. A book with a warm atmosphere
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
52. A book published in 2018

Read
The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1) by Katharine McGee Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Wild Geese by Martha Ostenso Replica (Replica, #1) by Lauren Oliver Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass An American Slave by Frederick Douglass Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1) by Julie Murphy Everless (Everless, #1) by Sara Holland Paper Towns by John Green Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia The Jewel (The Lone City, #1) by Amy Ewing Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things, #1) by Sona Charaipotra The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Depression & Other Magic Tricks by Sabrina Benaim Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Mead Otherworld (Otherworld, #1) by Jason Segel The Leaf Reader by Emily Arsenault The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3) by Jenny Han The Fault in Our Stars by John Green City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Lasera (The Mer Archives, #1) by Danielle Mathieson Pederson The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Breathe (Breathe, #1) by Sarah Crossan Brick Lane by Monica Ali Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1) by Tracy Banghart

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ | 681 comments Do it! 2018 will be my third time doing the challenge, and I probably won't finish it either (didn't finish last year; won't this year either).

It's fun. But it'll probably make your tbr longer than shorter!

message 3: by Kaitlyn (last edited Dec 25, 2017 11:18PM) (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 5 comments Alright, I have 75% of the list planned out! If anyone can help me out with the other 25%, that would be fantastic <3

- A book originally written in a language other than English
- A book set in Africa or South America
- A narrative nonfiction
- A medical or legal thriller
- A book with a text only cover
- A short book
- An alternate history book
- A book featuring a murder
- A book by an author with the same first and last initials [KL]

There's a few I don't really need help with, I'm sure I'll find something, but I'm still open to suggestions :)

- A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
- A book written in first person perspective
- A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
- A book that intimidates/scares you

*** I'm thinking about a couple Isabel Allende books, one for the Central America category and the other for originally released in a language other than English

This is my main reading list for 2018, so if you happen to see any books on here that fit these categories (that I haven't already used) please let me know, thank you! https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments You have a wrong interpretation for the same initials! You can use Marissa Meyer (MM) or Cassandra Clare (CC) for example :)

I recommend A Man Called Ove (or Beartown which is also popular) for the "not english language" if you haven't read them.

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara2u) | 13 comments The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. This is set in Africa and is a good read.

message 6: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Dec 26, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
You could use one of your Rainbow Rowell books for the author with the same first and last initials prompts. I loved Eleanor & Park

message 7: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 5 comments Zaz, thank you so much, you saved me! :D How did I misinterpret that? lol

Kara, I will check that out, thank you :)

Tracy, thank you for another great suggestion! I have lots of options of the same initials now :)

message 8: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments You're not the only one who misinterpreted. We had the "same initials as you" for Popsugar 2015 and the prompt was perhaps on other challenges, so it can add to the confusion :)

message 9: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 5 comments Almost the end of March, which means we're a quarter of the way done the year ... I guess I'm ahead of schedule then, with 19 / 52 books completed! :D

message 10: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 5 comments Halfway through the year, and more than halfway done this challenge! 33 out of 52, I feel pretty good about that :D