Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Old & New Classic Challenge > Katy's 2018 Old & New

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 22, 2017 10:34AM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9424 comments Mod
I still have a few days to get this one planned. I'm going to try to go with books on our Group Book Shelf, and that I either own or have been on my TBR list for a while.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Still thinking and need to check my physical bookshelves.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

And of course, I am always open to recommendations of your favorite book on our shelves!

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Great list so far and thanks for reminding me that I need to update mine!

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Well, if you're asking for input... Lovecraft is a very polarizing author. If you end up not liking him, a full anthology might be a bit too much. Or are you trying to get all of those orange penguin freebies read?

What about The House of the Spirits or Lolita? Those were both 5 star reads for me.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is another short fun one if you need something to balance out the longer reads

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 22, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: "...What about The House of the Spirits or Lolita? Those were both 5 star reads for me..."

I like those ideas. Thank you. And yes, I do want to read those Orange Penguins, but for Lovecraft I will probably only read the title story unless I just love it.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Sue wrote: "Great list so far and thanks for reminding me that I need to update mine!"

I know, right. 2018 will be here in no time.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

First draft of books for the challenge completed ... now to ponder on this for a few days.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 751 comments You have some heavy duty reads on this list...good for you!

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3791 comments What a great list, Katy. The old ones just feel old, and the new ones feel new (and the wildcard ones wild, for that matter)!

If you're interested and haven't heard of it, there's a group reading a new translation (first by a woman) of the Odyssey starting in March: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/.... I'm looking forward to that one!

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thank you Kathleen (BTW that is my real name --but I've gone by nicknames for many years).

I've joined the group. Looks very interesting.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3791 comments So glad you joined, Katy. And it's a nice name to share! I mostly go by nicknames too, but like to use the full name in some places--like here. Makes me think of my dad, who always called me that. ;)

message 15: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice list, Katy!
I've read Ulysses and The Odyssey. Both are good; Ulysses requires some work (I suggest setting a daily page limit and starting in January). It's worth the effort.

For The Odyssey, check out the different translations on-line. I did comparisons through the "read me" option on Amazon for a few lines to see which translations I seem to enjoy best.

The other books are a nice selection. Atwood, Steinbeck and Jackson are wonderful. I haven't read the other authors but they are mostly on my TBR list as well. Looking forward to your thoughts on all of these books.

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Great list! You have a few on there that I'm planning on reading next year too. I hope you enjoy them, and have fun with your challenge!

message 17: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Petra wrote: "...For The Odyssey, check out the different translations on-line...."

What translation did you end up reading?

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Renee wrote: "Great list! You have a few on there that I'm planning on reading next year too. I hope you enjoy them, and have fun with your challenge!"

Maybe we can read together in 2018 :)

message 19: by Petra (new)

Petra Katy wrote: "Petra wrote: "...For The Odyssey, check out the different translations on-line...."

What translation did you end up reading?"

I chose (and enjoyed) Richard Lattimore's translation: The Odyssey of Homer. I found the rhythm more natural when reading and I liked his wording better when compared to the others.

message 20: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

One read

Wild Cards:
3) The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya

message 21: by April (new)

April Munday | 277 comments I have the Odyssey on my list and I've finished The Catcher in the Rye. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 22: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Thanks April.

I'm hoping to get to The Odyssey next month and hoping to finish up Ulysses this month. Although Ulysses might end up being a year long project.

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra I hadn't heard of The Big Green Tent before. It sounds interesting.

I've read Ulysses 3 times and it still takes me about 5-6 months to read comfortably (pace-wise). It takes time.

I enjoyed The Odyssey. Hope you do, too.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Petra wrote: "Katy wrote: "Petra wrote: "...For The Odyssey, check out the different translations on-line...."

What translation did you end up reading?"

I chose (and enjoyed) Richard Lattimore's translation: [..."

Thank you for the recommendation! :)

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

message 26: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2416 comments Whadja' think? Was it an eye-opener for you, or just what you expected? It's not my personal favorite, but I'm glad I read it :)

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

It wasn't what I expected honestly. It was a very sad novel, and I felt that Holden was very believable as a depressed young man.

message 28: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2416 comments Katy wrote: "It wasn't what I expected honestly. It was a very sad novel, and I felt that Holden was very believable as a depressed young man."

I agree completely.