Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Looking for Historical Fiction about the Russian Revolution

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 33 comments I would like to read historical fiction about the Russian Revolution from it's precedents to around WWII. I am particularly interest in the point of view of aristocrats and those exiled by the proletariat.

Thanks!

message 2: by SissiReads (new)

SissiReads | 11 comments Great question. I would love to know too as I love HF sets in Russia or Soviet Union. It will be a bonus if it has romance in it too! x

message 3: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments You might start with the novels of Robert Alexander. They are highly regarded, although not my personal favorite.

A classic is Doctor Zhivago. The film with Omar Sharif and Julie Christie is also amazing.

Another fun, older exploration is Time After Time by Allen Appel.

Or just go for something like Ten Days that Shook the World. Why worry about fiction when the history is so dramatic?

message 4: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Bauman | 92 comments I don't know if this is the era you're interested in but I started reading Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak and I'm enjoying it. It's a book about Catherine the Great.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1805 comments Doctor Zhivago comes immediately to mind.

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) White Gardenia is not about the Russian Revolution per say but the heroine is from a family of White Russians who fled the Revolution, so it's related in a way.

message 7: by SissiReads (new)

SissiReads | 11 comments Thank you all for your suggestions!

message 8: by C.P. (last edited Jan 26, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments SissiReads wrote: "Great question. I would love to know too as I love HF sets in Russia or Soviet Union. It will be a bonus if it has romance in it too! x"

By the way, my fiction is set in Russia, but long before the revolution. It definitely includes romance, although the books are not only romance. You can click on my name to find out more and see if you are interested.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 04, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

Jennifer | 2958 comments The Lost Crown by Sarah Miller
The Lost Crown
The Kitchen Boy A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander
The Kitchen Boy
The White Russian by Tom Bradby
The White Russian
The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf
The Twelve Chairs

message 11: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments Historical note: Catherine the Great ruled from 1762 to 1796. The Russian Revolution began in 1917, with a precursor in 1905.

So they are not really the same thing, any more than George III and Edward VII, or George Washington and Teddy Roosevelt.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 23 comments Just thought I'd mention that C.W. Gortner has a book about the Romanovs coming out later this year. with Maria Feodorovna as narrator.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1805 comments This is nonfiction: Ten Days That Shook the World by Reed

message 14: by SissiReads (new)

SissiReads | 11 comments Thank you so much all for your recommendations xx

message 15: by Kristi (new)

Kristi DeHaai | 25 comments The Secret Wife

This is about the Romanovs. Highly fictionalized.

message 16: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 63 comments Kate furnivall's jewel of st petersburg covers 1900s to russian revolution and its from a wealthy womans point of view

message 17: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Lewis | 3 comments Depending on your tastes, although not fiction, I can recommend Baltic Episode by Augustus Agar VC. It covers the chaos and international imbroglio after the end of WW1. I have read it as research for a future novel.

message 18: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments I had forgotten this one, because it's quite a while since I read it, but it was well written and looks at something most people don't know about: the effects of the Russian Revolution on Latvia—and the involvement of Latvians in the revolution: Lenin's Harem by William Burton McCormick.

Lest you be misled, the title refers to an elite military regiment, not to Lenin's mistresses, although he had them.

message 19: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc In case you're still looking, have you read A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles? It is about an aristocrat who is sentenced to house arrest in The Metropol Hotel because of a revolutionary poem he wrote.

message 20: by SissiReads (new)

SissiReads | 11 comments Love a Gentleman in Moscow!

message 21: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc Rita wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "In case you're still looking, have you read A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles? It is about an aristocrat who is sentenced to house arrest in The Metropol Hotel because of a rev..."

So true. I don't do a lot of re-reads but I can definitely see myself revisiting this book in the future and expect to find some nuggets I missed the first time around.

message 22: by Christianne (new)

Christianne | 2 comments Sashenka by Simon Montefiore is a really good novel about the Russian revolution and spans across the decades. It follows Sashenka’s journey through life, starting off as naive, teenager on the cusp of the revolution, through her rise into Stalin’s inner circle and the downfall of the iron curtain. You really get caught up in the emotion of the story and there are moments that are written with such detail that you feel like you are right there with her.

message 23: by C.P. (last edited Jan 22, 2018 03:59PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments Another one I loved is Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay. It's post-revolution (and dual-time), but it gives a great sense of the Stalin era.

I also just read Among the Red Stars by Gwen C. Katz and loved it. It's about the Soviet women pilots in WWII.

message 24: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Christianne wrote: "Sashenka by Simon Montefiore is a really good novel about the Russian revolution and spans across the decades. It follows Sashenka’s journey through life, starting off as naive, teenager on the cus..."

Sashenka sounds like an intriguing story. Thanks for the mention, Christianne. I've added it.

message 25: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt For a very different perspective on the Russian Revolution, you might want to try The Russlander by Sandra Birdsell. It tells of the experiences of a Mennonite colony in Ukraine during the revolution. Their treatment is probably representative of that of many ethnic minorities in Russia during the revolution.

message 26: by Louise (new)

Louise Fry (louisefbooks) | 3 comments I read enchantments by Kathryn Harrison it was about the story of rasputins youngest daughter who lived with the romanov’s and saw everything that happened and it was a love story as well at times overall it was brilliant read and should be checked out as well

message 27: by SissiReads (new)

SissiReads | 11 comments These are amazing! Thank you all. Keep all your rec coming as I just love to read all things Russia! xx

message 28: by Rae (new)

Rae (mithergma) | 11 comments You might like... I just finished The Secret Wife. This is a fictionalized account of the Romanov family. Very moving novel.

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tapia (goodreadscomvicki_tapia) | 3 comments "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles begins during the aftermath of the Revolution, but travels back in time pre-Revolution and also moves forward with time. It is one of the most well-written books I've read of late, written from the perspective of an aristocrats view. I think the writing style of Towles stands out as unique and memorable.

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken Czech | 34 comments As C.P. noted earlier, the novels by Robert Alexander are eminently readable, and all take place in the broad parameters of the Russian Revolution, 1905 to the early 1920s. They are "The Kitchen Boy," "Rasputin's Daughter," and "The Romanov Bride" which focuses on Grand Duchess Elisavyeta, the wife of Grand Duke Sergei.

message 31: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walker (jkwalkerauthor) It's kind of tangentially related to the 1905 and 1917 revolutions in Russia, but for a good fun historical thriller with Russian revolutionary spicing, try Ken Follett's The Man From St. Petersburg by Ken Follett The Man from St. Petersburg. Just re-read it last year and it's aged quite well from when I first read it back in the early '80s as a new book.

message 32: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 688 comments And for an unexpected take, you might try The True Memoirs of Little K, which I just finished and loved.

It's a highly fictionalized (the title is a joke—at least, I hope so) account of the life of Mathilde Kschessinska, prima ballerina assoluta and mistress of Nicholas II before his marriage and coronation, as well as assorted grand dukes. It tracks her through the 1905 and 1917 revolutions.