2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Andrea's 300 in 2018

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Book Girl (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments I hope to read this many books this year. I read over 300 in 2017. let's do this!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) The Book Girl (Andrea) wrote: "I hope to read this many books this year. I read over 300 in 2017. let's do this!"

OMG!!! You read over 300 books in 1 year??? That is amazing Andrea! I've read 43 books which is more than I have read the previous 6 years combined! And my TBR is growing and growing. How I would love to be able to read as much as you do!
Wishing you the best of luck with your goal and above all I wish you a very happy reading year! May you find a lot of gems along the way!

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz (northhearthub) 300 is amazing! I just hit 202 for this year! You show some serious dedication with numbers that high! :) Good luck in the new year!

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) Hi Andrea. I've just posted my first ever challenge, 150 books, and thought it was quite high! I'd love to know any tips on how to read more books as I'm not sure I'll even manage the 150 to be honest.

message 5: by Kiran (new)

Kiran | 8 comments The Book Girl (Andrea) wrote: "I hope to read this many books this year. I read over 300 in 2017. let's do this!"

That's amazing! Do you have a list of 300 books already?

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean | 33 comments Wow! 300? This is Sparta!

(Someone had to say it...)

cheers

message 7: by The Book Girl (last edited Dec 22, 2017 07:22PM) (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments Sue wrote: "Hi Andrea. I've just posted my first ever challenge, 150 books, and thought it was quite high! I'd love to know any tips on how to read more books as I'm not sure I'll even manage the 150 to be hon..."

***sorry this is long*****

I have some tips but first here is some background info about me: I am a college student that is double majoring, running a business, and married with two dogs.

My tips are as follows:

1. Time management- this is my biggest tip. I have five planners that help me organize my life better. I don't watch TV in the evenings and reading is honestly my only hobby.

2. Schedule time to read as a reward- I read at least 30 mins- 1 hour every evening as a reward for the day at minimum.

3. Bring books with you everywhere- I bring about three books with me anywhere I go. I also have my phone that has books on it as well. All that time is waiting is perfect for reading!

4. Use Audiobooks- I listen to audiobooks more often than music. I listen to Overdrive and Libby, which are free with my library card. I typically listen at 1.4x to 1.6x speed. It helps get through books faster.

5. Use reading challenges/read-a-thons- I love booktubeathon and 24in24. These are times I schedule to be free and read as much as I can. I also try to find reading challenges that get me excited about reading. Right now I am planning on doing a Shakespeare challenge and a Roald Dahl challenge because I love those authors. Being passionate about reading will push you into reading more.

6. Read books you like- I DNF books a lot. I will not read a book that I am not enjoying at that moment. I might come back to it, but generally, that doesn't happen.

7. Read multiple books at a time if you can- I have a mind that enjoys having many things going on at once. I typically read at least 2-10 books at a time, along with 1 or 2 audiobooks. I am a person that writes detailed notes on books, and I have never had any issue mixing up the stories.
- Typically I read from different genres at a time; an example would be right now I am reading:
1. a classic
2. a sci-fi book
3. A nonfiction self-help book
4. a memoir (audio)
5. A middle-grade novel
6. a contemporary
7. a mystery
8. a comedy book
9. a historical fiction.
10. a cookbook (yes I read cookbooks lol)

8. Don't be afraid to take breaks from reading- I read for fun, so it should be fun! If I am not feeling like reading, I don't. The moment reading becomes a chore is the moment you will get into a reading slump.

I am far from an expert, but I feel like these are the tips I actually use. Hope the work for you!

message 8: by The Book Girl (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments Kiran wrote: "The Book Girl (Andrea) wrote: "I hope to read this many books this year. I read over 300 in 2017. let's do this!"

That's amazing! Do you have a list of 300 books already?"

I don't have a list of three hundred. I do have a TBR pile in my bedroom about 20 books on it. These are books I want to read. I also review books so the majority of them will be 2018 releases as they get sent to me. I have about 1000 books at my house, so I am sure I will find something to read!

message 9: by The Book Girl (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments Sean wrote: "Wow! 300? This is Sparta!

(Someone had to say it...)

cheers"

haha not sparta, just a girl with no friends lol.

message 10: by The Book Girl (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments Liz wrote: "300 is amazing! I just hit 202 for this year! You show some serious dedication with numbers that high! :) Good luck in the new year!"

Thanks so much! I love books and reading!

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments Happy reading in the coming year!

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) Hi Andrea and thank you so much for taking the time to write your tips on getting more reading done. Funnily enough, your first point (about planning) is the very reason that I've got active again on GR in the last few weeks. I have books scattered all over the house, plus Kindle ones and audiobooks. I had no idea how many books I really had, so I thought it would be useful to catalogue them all. I was slightly embarrassed to find I own nearly 200 books which I have not read! Hence the large reading goal for next year.

I find, as you do, that I listen more to audiobooks (and podcasts) than music and it's a good way to read a book. However, I sometimes get distracted and have to rewind a bit, do you find that? And yes, I also read more than one book at a time - I often have 6 or 8 on the go at once. That's partly because I have a Kindle book for reading on the move, an audiobook for myself and then often one that I'm listening to with my husband too, plus 'real' books. When you add all that to the fact that I am sometimes in the mood for non-fiction, sometimes something lighter, sometimes an anthology to dip into each morning, I couldn't just read one at a time.

I'm interested to see that you make notes on the books you read. I'd be interested to know how you do that, as I've been thinking recently it might help me get more out of what I'm reading.

You must love reading a lot Andrea, to squeeze it into what sounds like a very busy life. I hope you enjoy working towards your goal in 2018!

message 13: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments Hoping January was a great month for you.

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (last edited Mar 08, 2018 07:59PM) (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments Two months down ten to go I hope things are going well for you!

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments April Showers bring May flowers I hope May brings lots of great reads and sunshine!

message 16: by The Book Girl (new)

The Book Girl (thebookishgirl) | 166 comments Just checking to say I reached my goal of 300 books. I have now read 307!

message 17: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) The Book Girl (Andrea) wrote: "Just checking to say I reached my goal of 300 books. I have now read 307!"

Wow, that is some achievement Andrea! Congratulations!
Which one was your favourite?