The Fairy Book Club discussion

Archives > Reading Resolutions for the New Year

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 324 comments Mod
Wanted to start a thread to share any reading related resolutions! Do you have one?

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Recine | 21 comments This is a great idea! I was just wondering how to set a reading goal for 2018. I think my goal will be to keep up reading our Book Fairy Book Club reads plus one more per month for the year - I know that 24 books isn't a huge goal, but think I want to keep it reasonable so that if/when I exceed the goal, it'll feel excellent! Maybe I'll throw in one extra and make it 25 just to have a nice round number.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments I'm hoping to continue branching out so that I read more books outside of my comfort zone. Also, because I work in a library, I am an impulse book grabber. LOL! If I see it and want it, I take it home and read it before the books that are already waiting on me there. This year, I'm going to try add books to my "To Read" list here, and then not touch them until they've been there for at least two weeks :) We'll see how long that lasts.

message 4: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 23 comments I want to read La Comédie Humaine, all stories written by Honoré de Balzac depicting the French society during the 19th century. Classics that we all hate to read in school... But now I really want to read it ! It's been a long time since I have this resolution but it's still not fulfilled !! 2018 is the year !! At least I will try^^

message 5: by Haykuhi (new)

Haykuhi (hakuarz) | 15 comments I want to read all of the books in my "Want to read" shelf.
And also I've come across a 2018 reading challenge list which was interesting, I'll try to complete it, too. :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanj13) | 10 comments I always wanted to hit a reading target of a book a week, which I managed this year (woot woot!), so the resolution for 2018 would be to keep that (and maybe improve on it) and read a few more diverse genres maybe. :)

message 7: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments I am going to do my best to read from books that I own. I am going to try to stay out of book stores and away from the library! Wish me luck! I know I will need it!

message 8: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 61 comments Mod
I've been trying to do this for a couple of years now but for 2018, the resolution is to really do it. I want to read a good number (around 30) of my old books, all the ones that have been sitting on my physical shelves for years even before I joined GoodReads, so basically a lot of the books I added in 2013 upon joining GoodReads.

And I want to continue, as I've been doing quite nicely this year, reading all those series I started but never finished.

message 9: by Rowan (new)

Rowan Faraday (rowanfaraday) | 10 comments Like many of you, reading the books on my shelf would be a good start. Sadly, there are more than I can realistically read in a year (no, I don't live in a library, I'm just not that fast). So, I think my goal should be to finish reading all the books I've already started over the past year.

Good luck to us all!

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 43 comments I'm going to continue the goal that I set about the middle of this year which is to read the book club choices for the groups I'm in (there are two groups) plus two other books. One of the groups does a book every two months, so it averages out to three and half books a month for my reading goal.

message 11: by nil (new)

nil (nilnil) This year I have almost reached my goal of 100 books. I started with 52 (one book per week) and I have kept increasing it over time. In retrospect, it might have been more satisfactory to leave it at 52 and see the number that I exceeded on the little goodreads chart, but at the time I thought resetting it would continue to challenge me to read more. Turns out, regardless of my reading goal for this year, it would seem that you actually just couldn't have stopped me from reading. :)

My goal for 2018 is going to be the same as it is every year-- 52 books. I think it is a reasonable goal, and allows me some wiggle room. I hope that I can exceed my own expectations as highly as I did this year, however 1 book a week is still a significant challenge that will fill me with satisfaction if I am able to complete it.

message 12: by Samia (new)

Samia (dilrus) | 5 comments Hello bookworms, this is the first group I’ve joined, and I’m very excited about it!

My reading resolution for the new year is to read at least 25 books, and make a note of how that book changed my pre-formed biases (if any), and what I learned from it. This is going to be tedious and at times cumbersome, but I’m hoping it will help me grow in leaps in bounds.
Much love, from China.

message 13: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 2 comments New Year resolutions?
WOW...so many lol
I hope to knock out my lengthy TBR shelf for starters ;)
And I want to start a literacy for children chapter in my town.
I was so sad when I found out how many children here have trouble reading. Some can't read at all ! I was amazed, I thought schools would pay more attention to their students. :(
Wish me luck!
Not sure how to go about starting one, any help would be appreciated!

message 14: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 2 comments Samia wrote: "Hello bookworms, this is the first group I’ve joined, and I’m very excited about it! "

Welcome to the group Samia!

message 15: by Samia (last edited Dec 25, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

Samia (dilrus) | 5 comments Emelia wrote:
Welcome to the group Samia!"

Thank you Emelia, glad to be here!

message 16: by Samia (new)

Samia (dilrus) | 5 comments Emelia wrote: "New Year resolutions?
WOW...so many lol
I was so sad when I found out how ma..."

That sounds like a wonderful initiative! One thing I found helpful was this: We were divided into groups and each member was asked to describe one character from a book, sort of like a character sketch, how we relate to it etc. I used to enjoy doing those at school. We also ‘wrote’ letters to our favorite author as a fun exercise, describing our favorite parts of the book (even though we couldn’t post them)
You can also give out give out stickers for participation..
Good luck!

message 17: by Rowan (new)

Rowan Faraday (rowanfaraday) | 10 comments Emelia wrote: "And I want to start a literacy for children chapter in my town.
I was so sad when I found out how many children here have trouble reading. Some can't read at all !"

What an excellent resolution.

When I was in elementary school we had the Book It program sponsored by Pizza Hut (it might have been done through the library, I'm not sure). I read the hell out of some books for free pizza (of course back going out to eat was a treat in itself). I just did a search and noticed that the program is still running. I remember it getting a lot of us more excited about reading: http://www.bookitprogram.com.

message 18: by Ninitha (Niko) (new)

Ninitha (Niko) | 40 comments Mod
I have a crazy busy year ahead, so going at the pace I am currently might be difficult. Hence I'm going to go with a book a week target. Gives me plenty time and it's achievable. Also, to read the fairy book club on pick, regardless of whether it is my preferred genre or not.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber I do have a goal in mind for the amount of books I'd like to read this coming year, but that is not my only book related resolution I would also love to be more involved with more book clubs and discuss what I am reading more with people. I tend to hide behind my books and not interact with many people. I feel like joining this group will help me substantially with this resolution!

message 20: by Winnie (new)

Winnie My goal is to read a book a week like I did this year! I actually made a video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQe6g... and it would mean the world to me if you lovely people on Goodreads could watch it! (i'm honestly not trying to spam!)

message 21: by Samia (new)

Samia (dilrus) | 5 comments Amber wrote: "I do have a goal in mind for the amount of books I'd like to read this coming year, but that is not my only book related resolution I would also love to be more involved with more book clubs and di..."

Hear hear! I do the same thing and I want to change this too. What book struck a chord with you that you picked up recently?

message 22: by Annemette (new)

Annemette | 28 comments I have never made a reading goal before, I used to read as much as possible. But for personal reasons, I have been reading a lot less the last years, and only recently started to read more again. I wil try to join in on all the books in the book club, it's a great motivation to read a long, and then maybe one more per month.. and an extra for vacation-time, so 25 is a good number

🌈💜SAVINA🦋✨ - 12 months, 12 non fiction books

- 12 2018 Releases

- Read more stand alones

- Complete some of the series I've started

- Read more books from my shelf

- Buy less physical books, Purchase More E books

- Read bigger books

- Try to clear Goodreads TBR shelf

message 24: by Tanushree (new)

Tanushree Sukumar (svatanushree) | 2 comments Hello guys.I am new to goodreads and a lover of books.So am expecting good time reading with you people.

My book resolutions for the new year is to read books out of my favs. Fantasy is my fav of all,so I'll try new things.30 BOOKS is my goal for the coming year.

message 25: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 3 comments Hello everybody. My book resolutions for the upcoming new year is to read 20 books. Also, I want to keep up with the Fairy Book Club reads.

message 26: by Abid (new)

Abid Uzair Hey guys. I have read very few fiction books, so my goal for 2018 is to read more fiction. I have compiled a list of 24 books that I am gonna read in 2018, Do check it out: https://medium.com/@abiduzair420/read...
Let me know what you feel!

message 27: by Jelena (new)

Jelena (booksmycuppatea) | 6 comments Inspired by Ruskin Bond and The room on the roof I've decided that every month I'll read one book from authors that I have never heard of (or are from unknown culture for me) and one book a month from Croatian authors.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela This year I’m determined not to buy any new books until I’ve read the ones I have at home already. I’ve got about 40 sitting and waiting to be read and hopefully passed on. Plus an Audible and Kindle libraries just waiting for me...

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wilson (readingbucketeer) | 7 comments My reading Goals for 2018 are pretty simple:

1) Read at least 3 books per month. (Goal was 2 per month in 2017)
2) Read at least 1 book from my personal book shelf each month.
3) Read for at least 30 minutes each day. (Doesn't necessarily have to be a book.)
4) Leave an actual review for each book I complete.

Good luck to everyone! Fingers Crossed!!

message 30: by Rowan (new)

Rowan Faraday (rowanfaraday) | 10 comments Savina wrote: "- Buy less physical books, Purchase More E books "

Modern Family GIF: No My God

:p

message 31: by Neetu (new)

Neetu | 1 comments Hi All, just joined this group.
As part of goodreads reading challenge for 2017 i had set goal of 80 and completed it, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.However I am bringing it down to 70 this year coz it is getting really difficult to find the ebook for the ones on my TBR shelf .

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracekadzere) | 11 comments I’m gonna be ambitious and go with 52 books.

message 33: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 1 comments Hello from England fellow book lovers.

This year I actually hope to focus on more quality and less 'filler' books. Although I read a lot last year I don't feel like I focused much on quality and this year I want to change that by challenging myself to read more books that I feel are 'challenging' for whatever reason. Also I want to to write more reviews for the books I do read ensuring I understood and appreciated the stories. :)

message 34: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments I can not set a goal. I'll find books that I have pending and what comes up;)

message 35: by Kayli (new)

Kayli I've got a few book related goals for the upcoming year. I definitely want to spend January finishing books I've already started and then I want to read some of the book sitting on my nightstand.

message 36: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments I feel like a lot of people have the similar goals this year. Less filler books or things that our hearts are not into.

message 37: by Bex (new)

Bex (bexbooksandstuff) | 8 comments My goal is just to read MORE. When i was younger i was a total book worm but since starting teaching and having a baby my bookshelf is gathering dust! My goal is to read when i have spare time rather than watching rubbish on tv or playing on my phone.
I have set myself on the #40bookchallenge on insta and will have a 20 book challenge on goodreads. Will see how i get on!!

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 12 comments Bookin' It Fairy wrote: "I am going to do my best to read from books that I own. I am going to try to stay out of book stores and away from the library! Wish me luck! I know I will need it!"

I think I'll try something similar since I REALLY have too many books to justify buying more! Then I'll have more to gift as a Book Fairy!

message 39: by Yoon (last edited Jan 01, 2018 09:09AM) (new)

Yoon (shadoweater9) | 3 comments Hey y'all, I just joined this book club. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to post!!!

I'm shooting for a minimum of twenty-five books. There's no harm in reading more :D

Hope you guys can all meet, if not exceed, your New Year's resolutions!

message 40: by Jina (last edited Jan 01, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Jina Gibbs | 2 comments Emelia wrote: "New Year resolutions?
WOW...so many lol
I was so sad when I found out how ma..."

Wow! What a wonderful way to better your community and help spread the love for reading. We have a similar literacy problem here in NC and you are so right! It is so sad. There is a group here that followed some children without interfering since the "no child left behind" enactment. They have found that passing children along to the next grade regardless if they learned what they needed to was a horrible mistake. It set the children up to fail and stay behind the kids in their class. If you are seriously considering taking on this huge plan my suggestion would be, talk to elementary schools and your local bookstores. Tell them you want to help children love to read and love books. Maybe offer to volunteer to do a reading hour on a Saturday or come to the school on a classes "free" hour and invite the kids to listen to a story. Ask for their input on what stories or subjects they would want to know more about. You can find several good books always at Goodwill stores, garage sales and maybe the schools or book stores will donate books. I truly love you are doing this. I would love to know how it turns out. I would love to help by sending you money to help pay for the books and supplies you might need for your venture to be successful.
All the best and my admiration,
Jina Gibbs
Ps. The start of teaching the kids to read is to get them interested. The Magical Schoolbus is a great series and also episodes can be watched on tv and youtube. You will over time learn which children are struggling and you can back up a bit with those children and do as they did when I was just starting school. Dick and Jane books really break it down. Once they master "See Spot run!" and other small sentences they can build on their volcabulary from there. :)

message 41: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs | 2 comments Winnie wrote: "My goal is to read a book a week like I did this year! I actually made a video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQe6g... and it would mean the world to me if you lovely people on Go..."

I tried to watch your video but my browser wont support playing your video. I tried on my kindle and Windows 10 desktop. I just thought I'd let you know some people wont be able to view your video. Sorry
Jina

message 42: by Cordelia (new)

Rowan wrote: "Savina wrote: "- Buy less physical books, Purchase More E books "

:p"

:0 :) :)

message 43: by Cordelia (new)

Angela wrote: "This year I’m determined not to buy any new books until I’ve read the ones I have at home already. I’ve got about 40 sitting and waiting to be read and hopefully passed on. Plus an Audible and Kind..."
Hahahahahah good luck with that :)

message 44: by Cordelia (new)

Amber wrote: "I do have a goal in mind for the amount of books I'd like to read this coming year, but that is not my only book related resolution I would also love to be more involved with more book clubs and di..."

Well Amber you are more than welcome to chat with us any time :)

message 45: by Bookatiepillar (new)

Bookatiepillar | 2 comments Hi all, my name is Katie and I just joined Good Reads. I am slow reader so my new year resolution is to read one book (at least) a month. so by December 2018 I would have 12 books minimum!
I am also on instagram if you want to get in touch and see how my reading progress is going in picutres. :) SO EXCITING!!!

message 46: by Cordelia (new)

Bookatiepillar wrote: "Hi all, my name is Katie and I just joined Good Reads. I am slow reader so my new year resolution is to read one book (at least) a month. so by December 2018 I would have 12 books minimum!
I am als..."

Eeeeekkkkk!!!!!

message 47: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (timetoremember) I didn't read as many books in 2017 as I expected to - but I loved so many of them! So my resolution for 2018 is to do more of the same - that is, to concentrate on reading books that I enjoy, and to care far less about the number. I'm determined to relish my reading time.

message 48: by Cordelia (new)

Charlotte wrote: "I didn't read as many books in 2017 as I expected to - but I loved so many of them! So my resolution for 2018 is to do more of the same - that is, to concentrate on reading books that I enjoy, and ..."

Sounds like a great idea!

message 49: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments Kathy wrote: "Bookin' It Fairy wrote: "I am going to do my best to read from books that I own. I am going to try to stay out of book stores and away from the library! Wish me luck! I know I will need it!"

I thi..."

That is exactly what I intend to do! There are some books that I will never part ways with, but I have a lot that I know I would read, enjoy but have no desire to read again! :( Plus, we have a little free library on the way to my daughters school. AND we are building one this year as well, so I would need books to put in it! <3

@Emilia - My town does a walk for literacy every fall to promote reading in children! I also sent a letter to a friend in Budapest. When I write to her I create a type of Newspaper article and write little stories and provide photos. It makes it more fun for her to read. In that "newsletter" I had a picture of my daughter at the library reading a book and below that there was a statistic section. 57% of children do not have a regular story time at home.
2 out of 3 children can not read at grade level.

The Children's Literacy Foundation put out some statics on studies that they have done. It breaks my heart!

61% of low-income families have no age-appropriate books in their homes. (9)
Children from middle-income homes have on average 13 books per child. There is only one book for every 300 children in low-income neighborhoods. (10)
Fewer than half (48%) of young children in the U.S. are read to daily. The percentage of children read to daily drops even lower (to 36%) among low-income families, whose children face the highest risk of literacy problems. (11)
Even among high-income families, however, more than two out of every five children are not read to daily. (11)
The average child growing up in a middle class family has been exposed to 1,000 to 1,700 hours of one-on-one picture book reading. (12)
The average child growing up in a low-income family has only been exposed to 25 hours of one-on-one reading. (12)

If there is anything I can do to help, or provide information. Literacy walks are very common, and so are runs in order to gain awareness.

This year when we do our local Literacy Walk we are also doing the grand opening for my Little Free Library! I can not wait!

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (happysara) | 4 comments I have a few goals... read 100 books, go to an independent bookstore once a month, and curtail how much I spend on books. I would also like to read things that have been sitting on my TBR shelf. Since I am constantly bookmarking new titles, it won't go away but it can be... refreshed???

« previous 1