Horror Aficionados discussion

Bizarro and Splatterpunk > Starting with extreme horror

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 102 comments hi, I'm Francisco from Spain, first of all I hope you excuse my poor English, well, althought I have read some novels by Laymon and Ketchum, I'm thinking about reading more of this horror subgenre, I'm to read this novels:

Survivor by J F Gonzalez

Castaways by Brian Keene

Island by Richard Laymon

Have you read these novels? Are them interesting enough to start with?

Greetings from Spain

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Piccoli | 176 comments I want to read all three of these! Please choose one of these!

message 3: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 102 comments I will read in that order starting in some days

message 4: by Cuniculus (last edited Dec 23, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2880 comments I've read all three of them.

Survivor is an excellent piece of non-supernatural horror and features one of the most remarkable minor characters (I don't want to spoil here) in horror & thriller history.

Castaways is a good book. It ties in quite nicely into Keene's multiverse (or however it is called). It is no masterpiece, but worth reading for sure.

I would consider Island to be one of Laymon's best books and my personal pretender for the best Laymon novel ever, together with The Travelling Vampire Show. It contains and features everything one loves (or hates) about Laymon's works.

To you, i would also recommend the works of Tim Curran, especially Dead Sea. Bentley Little (The Mailman, The Resort, The Policy etc.) is also a must read.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Hi Francisco, Survivor and Island are great reads. Here are a few more authors to check out. Some of these are at the more extreme end of the scale so be warned.

Wrath James White
Edward Lee
Ryan Harding
Bryan Smith
Carlton Mellick III (bizarro but some of his novels are pretty extreme)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments You may want to take a look at the January Guest author invite group read.

Splatterpunk Fighting Back

message 7: by Marek (new)

Marek ChoronZone (wagnerzone333) | 10 comments My very first one was Edward Lee, and now I read massively Matt Shaw, later Wrath James White and others will follow. It is such a great experience to read a real horror and not just this mass-market softcore stuff!

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
I'm going to agree with the Wrath James White recommendation. I'm reading Succulent Prey Succulent Prey by Wrath James White right now and I can honestly say that it's the most extreme splatterpunk thing I've ever read. Not for the weak stomachs.

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3650 comments Another author you might want to try is: Matt Shaw as his books are very extreme.

Also if you want to try a woman author that writes raw gore is: Angel Gelique as she has some books out there that will make you upchuck if you read them after you eat.

Happy reading!

message 10: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 514 comments Another female writer suggestion is Rayne Havok. Her works are fairly short, but on the extreme side still. Tim Miller is also an extreme horror writer along with Edward Lorn and I'm currently reading The Angel of Vengeance : An Extreme Horror Novel by Wade H. Garrett. Not for the squeamish at all.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

JaeRavenClaw wrote: "Another female writer suggestion is Rayne Havok. Her works are fairly short, but on the extreme side still. Tim Miller is also an extreme horror writer along with Edward Lorn and I'm currently read..."

Hey I just joined the group. What would you recommend by Rayne Havok?

message 12: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 514 comments Brian wrote: "JaeRavenClaw wrote: "Another female writer suggestion is Rayne Havok. Her works are fairly short, but on the extreme side still. Tim Miller is also an extreme horror writer along with Edward Lorn a..."

Welcome to the group :) I would recommend starting with The Embalmer by Havok. If you have Kindle Unlimited, her works are available through that service, but even if you don't, they're pretty cheap.