Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Random Thoughts > Advice on writing book reviews

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments I've posted this to one other group to try to get some help. I want to know -- does anyone know what's going on?

Some of the reviews I've posted on Amazon over the last few months have never shown up. I've never even gotten an acknowledgement e-mail for these particular reviews saying that my review was being examined for approval, etc. This has happened several times, and each time I have resubmitted at some point with the EXACT SAME RESULTS! I haven't paid close enough attention, but I think that each time it's been for a book with many reviews. As if "OK, we've gotten 1,000 (or whatever) reviews on this book, so we're not going to bother considering it."

Has this happened to anyone else?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Carpenter | 140 comments I haven't had that problem but I've heard of it happening lots. Apparently Amazon has an algorithm that filters reviews. Several authors that I've reviewed for say not to put in your review that "you received a review copy, an ARC, a free copy from the author", etc. are flagged and quite frequently deleted.

Hopefully that helps answer your question a little bit. I know some authors are pretty frustrated about it and reviewers too. I've read some posts on Goodreads from reviewers talking about experimenting with their Amazon reviews and having them deleted if there are certain keywords in them.

I'm not exactly sure why Amazon does this. One guess would be that they are wanting to have it be more review based on actual purchases and "honest opinions" because of said purchase, rather than the possibility that a reviewer is given a review copy or gifted a copy and isn't honest in their reviews/opinions and are only rating higher to help sales. Just a thought I've had as to why. But frustrating because I've had a book gifted to me (by author or just a friend) and it's considered a "verified purchase" because it was paid for and marked purchased on my account but if I write a review it doesn't show up as a "verified purchase".

Hopefully that all makes sense.

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments That's good to know, but definitely not the case here. These are old books that Amazon isn't posting.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (katebrooks) | 42 comments Are you using an account that doesn’t have a credit card attached to it? I have an author account that is separate from my personal account and I can’t post reviews from it because I haven’t made any purchases from it yet.

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments Nope, but good thought...

message 6: by Pascale (new)

Pascale | 280 comments Contact Amazon. I had about 80 reviews deleted for absolutely no reason. I had to really fight them and be persistent and insist that I’ve never accepted payment for reviews and I’ve always followed all their rules for reviews (there are rules that have to be followed). They made up some lame excuse, saying someone else might be impersonating me or using my account ( impossible and no other purchases were made on said account other than me). So, basically, they gave me the runaround but eventually conceded and I haven’t had any trouble since (fingers crossed!) I keep a list of all the books I’ve read and reviewed now and a copy of all my reviews in a folder in my email, just to be sure. It’s worth contacting them.

message 7: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments Pascale, were the deleted reviews ones that had successfully become public? Or did you submit them and it was as if you hadn't? Thanks for the suggestion. Sigh. Do you think it's worth it?

message 8: by Pascale (new)

Pascale | 280 comments They had been published and then were removed. If they won’t allow you to publish your review it’s because you’ve somehow “broken” one of their “rules”.

message 9: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments OK. I'll have to look into that. I figured that that want the problem because U wasn't even receiving a confirmation saying they received my review and will check it over, etc. Just nothing.

message 10: by Pascale (new)

Pascale | 280 comments Yes, sounds like they felt you broke a rule. They are very picky. Try rewording it and see if it gets posted. If not, I would contact them.

message 11: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 240 comments Thank you. I'll check it out when I have more than a few minutes online. 😊