Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Ebb and Flow
This topic is about Ebb and Flow
Book Issues > Book linking to wrong author

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Robin | 16 comments This book "Ebb and Flow" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...) ISBN: 1771388382
Links to a list of books none of which are by that author.

The author of Ebb and Flow is actually this Heather Smith:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Robin | 16 comments awesome thanks! when I look at that author (who happens to be my wife) it looks like there are extra spaces either at the end of her first or start of her last name, is that something you can fix?

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments And additionally just to make that clear if someone "fix" these space (in terms of "correcting" or removing) the books would go to one of the other Heathers so it's better to keep them all as they are.
(librarians do use them if books needed to be moved to a correct profile.
If you or your wife would add a book to her profile manually (e.g. to be faster than the import bots - but you have to use the proper identifier to avoid double imports which would be ASIN for kindle/audible and ISBN for ebook/paper editions) you could achieve that if you enter her name with 3 spaces between first and last name.
Book goes directly to her profile then.

Robin | 16 comments That's great, thanks for the explanation - makes sense and good to know about that manual add tip. I never really thought about how best to handle multiple authors of the same name, that's pretty simple and clever!
But, as an aside, the triple space does show up on GoodReads if I look at it on my phone (Android Galaxy S8). Not the end of the world, and at least I know why... but that does mean it is visible to readers/users (which is all I am) depending on the platform they are using to view GR.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24731 comments That is definitely weird Robin, even as a librarian the only time I see the spaces is if I'm editing something. Sorry, never use the phone to look at GR.

Definitely follow Tim's idea and report it in Feedback.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments I'm using an Android phone and tablet but never experienced that behaviour.
So reporting it might be a good idea - eventually there are more with that issue.
(although I'm really curious where you see the spaces exactly)

If you click on "add another book by that author" on the author page of your wife (you can click that as normal user) you'll see the spaces in the upcoming form too because that already fills in the author field correctly.
(really helpful with names with 10 and more spaces)
That also happens automatically if you click on "add a new edition" on the book's page.