Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Help!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments With some series, the more you read in a row, the more into the series you get. Other series are so similar book to book that you need a break between the books.

For me, Laurell's books fall into the first category. So, I would say pick a series and read it in its entirety before switching to the other series.

My personal preference is the "Anita Blake" series, but that's entirely up to you.

Depending how fast a reader you are, you might want to read Merry so that you're ready for the new one in December.

message 2: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments Eden, I love reading these books either way, I always read the last couple in the series before a new one comes out so I'm still up to speed no matter which series it is, I read most of Anita in a row, but I started before she came out with the Merry series, now I read as they come out (Which is Anita then Merry and back to Anita etc. which is always about six monthes apart) and I usually start the same day of release and don't put it down until I have finished. So either way is alright, but as Mlady said the new Merry does come out in October..... or you could just read one series until you need something new then read Merry for awhile....not very helpful HUH?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 148 comments I would read one series at a time. If you like reading more than one book then go for it. I read Anita Blake from book 1 thru 16 in a row adding in the newly released books I had to know what happened with. I like reading the entire series one after the other. I do get so much more involved with the characters.

message 4: by Cat Singh (new)

Cat Singh | 202 comments i would read the entire Merry series first, there are less books, and you'll be up to speed when the new one comes out.
Anita will take longer, and you have longer until the next one of hers, since she just released one.
happy reading!

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 12 comments I read the Merry series first. I suggest you read it first too. I actually like the merry series a bit more the the Anita blake series. I love the faere politics and the lovely fae body guards.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments I just started with the Merry series Im on Kiss of Shadows.

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe The two series are so very different that you could read them together and not get confused. I do tend to read as much as I can in one series at a time to get into the flow before I shift to something else.

I also like to reread the last few to get back up to speed before I read the new release.

Both series are very good and I guess it only matters how you like to read series. I would treat these two the same way that you would treat two series from two different authors.

-Joe-

message 8: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Joe wrote: "I would treat these two the same way that you would treat two series from two different authors.".

Having read all of both series, they don't feel like series from different authors. Laurell's style of writing is very distinctive.

When you interleave the two series, especially if you do it how she wrote them, you see similar "themes" popping up in each series. Like she introduced a set of vampires that were brothers in Anita Blake around the same time she introduced a set of half sidhe/half goblin brothers in Merry Gentry.

message 9: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments Eden wrote: "Outstanding advice Joe, and something that actually works. I couldn't stand to abandon either lady so I started the 2nd book in both series at about the same time. I do not get them confused but ..."

Does this mean you are really liking the books Eden?

message 10: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments heheehe Yes they are, and I am so glad to hear that you are loving them!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 148 comments oh Eden yay!!! from reading the books so far who is ur fav? out of the girls?

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Walker (wykedgoddess05) | 3 comments for me now im all caught up on both .. but before that i did read one then the other now i just read them as she writes them.. which is NEVER fast enough for me ..LOL