Play Book Tag discussion

December 2017: Social Issues > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Right off the bat, the first chapter is numbered 2, not 1, so you know this is going to be different from your average read. The story is written in first person and starts with a description by someone who has found a dead dog in a neighbor's yard. The speaker is 15 year old Christopher, well actually 15 years 3 months and 2 days old because Christopher is very precise. He's writing a book (this book) with the help of his teacher Siobhan. The book starts out as a murder mystery to find out who killed the dog. It becomes so much more.

Christopher is a math whiz and loves anything scientific but he has no concept of emotions, his or others. He obviously has Asperger's at some level and is brilliant in so many ways. His literary hero is the logical Sherlock Holmes. Christopher tells the story in a dead pan way, with very little emotion but the story is emotional. Every once in a while I was annoyed by some of the asides, almost rambling but overall this story about Christopher was fascinating.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I read this in high school and loved it. One of my altimeter favorites.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments *all time. oops