Challenge Corner discussion

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
This topic is about Carve the Mark
Let's Buddy! - Fantasy > Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth -> Starting February 10, 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments In a galaxy powered by the current, everyone has a gift.

Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s current gift gives her pain and power — something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows.

Akos is the son of a farmer and an oracle from the frozen nation-planet of Thuvhe. Protected by his unusual currentgift, Akos is generous in spirit, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get this brother out alive — no matter what the cost.

Then Akos is thrust into Cyra's world, and the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. Will they help each other to survive, or will they destroy one another?

Carve the Mark is Veronica Roth's stunning portrayal of the power of friendship — and love — in a galaxy filled with unexpected gifts.

message 2: by Kylara (new) - added it

Kylara Jensen | 437 comments Posting here to remind myself to try to join this.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes! I am hoping to do this one on audio.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments The audio just came available, so once I finish Warbreaker I will be starting. Probably in 2-3 days.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I'm somewhere in chapter 13. (view spoiler)

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments I'm 91% done with the book I'm reading so once I finish that I will jump into this :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Awesome!

message 8: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments I just joined and saw this. is it too late to join?? I see you guys are mostly already done

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments No you can join anytime! I just started last night and am only on chapter 2 before I fell asleep lol

message 10: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments ok awesome. Thank you Jenn!

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes, please join! It will be a while before I finish, depending on how much driving I do in the next few days.

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments In chapter 18. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Chapters 1-7: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments Just finished the first two parts and about to start on 3. I can't stand Ryzek though... this book is pretty amazing though and I can't wait to see what trouble they get in to!

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Ryzek is horrible!

message 16: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments In chapter 25. (view spoiler)

Sorry if I misspell names--listening to audio and not always sure how they are spelled.

message 17: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Chapters 8-11: (view spoiler)

message 18: by Kylara (new) - added it

Kylara Jensen | 437 comments I'm going to start this one today

message 19: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I'm in chapter 28. (view spoiler)

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Through chapter 30. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Finished part 2: (view spoiler)

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Just finished chapter 35. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Finished part 3: (view spoiler)

message 24: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I finished this morning and overall I really liked it. I wish book two were out already. I'll probably have to wait a while for that one.

message 25: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Chapter 32 : (view spoiler)

message 26: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments So I finished earlier this week and I've just been curious to see what you guys would think. I actually enjoyed the book and I felt like i could relate to the characters. But I made the mistake of reading the reviews on the book and I was actually taken back. Did anyone see what they were calling racial and rape-type issues with the book? I personally saw none of that

message 27: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments No, I did not. I had seen those reviews before, so I was curious. Personally, I did not have an issue with how things were portrayed. But a lot of people are looking for things to complain about and can find issues anywhere. Not everyone is going to like the same things, and maybe things aren't presented exactly how a reader wants, but that does not mean there is anything overtly wrong with it.

What I hate most about reviews for this is that there are many people who said they liked it and didn't see anything wrong until someone else pointed it out.

message 28: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments And with the race thing, I've seen some saying that one of the groups was portrayed as "savages" while the others were not. I did not get that. They were two different native tribes who both had issues with each other. I didn't feel that one was presented as "civilized" and the other as "savage," they were just different from each other.

message 29: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments I agree. I finished this one up a couple of days ago and while I wasn't blown away by it, the issues I had with it had nothing to do with what I've seen in other reviews. I didn't see the racism and definitely didn't see any rape type scenario. I also just saw two different types of cultures at war with each other for what each one stands for.

message 30: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Exactly. I thought it was quite fun, actually. Not the best thing I've ever read, but fun ans easy to read.

message 31: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Realized I never wrote my final thoughts here

Finished: (view spoiler)

message 32: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't see any of these issues! I read it exactly like you guys did - 2 groups of people who had long standing history issues with each other.

while it was pretty slow in story build up, if the second book is fast paced it would be well worth it. I think the characters were extremely developed which leaves a lot more excitement (hopefully) coming up. I like the story line and how it showed through struggles that are realistic instead of characters always being that perfect level of brave and perfect. it's refreshing to read a book that keeps characters human and let's them make mistakes even if it's annoying (like Cyra and her brother).

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Yes, the buildup was slow. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep going after listening to the first hour or so, but then the characters became more interesting.

I want to read the second one, but I don't like that it's going to be four perspectives.

message 34: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments I'm not sure how I feel about the 4 perspectives either... I guess we'll see how she splits it so make it flow

message 35: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 2210 comments Oh man, it's going to be in 4? Interesting...

message 36: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments That's what the description says. Not sure who the other two are going to be.

message 37: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I thought the two worked well and it was nice for her to switch between first and third person with them. I think that was one place she was weak with Allegiant. This allowed the voices to be more distinct.

message 38: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments She'll probably add Cyra's brother and Akos's mom or brother... just a guess though

message 39: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Probably. I'm not looking forward to that. :/

message 40: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica | 12 comments Yeah me either... :(