Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

Beauties in the Deep
This topic is about Beauties in the Deep
Group Read > Beauties in the Deep - Full Discussion *Spoiler*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) So what did you think of the story?

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) This was a really quick read, as it was short story. (Don't tell my boss I read it while I was at work!)

It's not my preferred genre. I tend to stay away from horror. It was interesting, though. I liked the fantasy elements of it. The realm of Gibberton was very freaky and intriguing. I would have loved to see more of Libbsy. I think he could have been a really compelling character, given more time. The puppet motif of the kidnapped girls was suitably creepy for a horror tale.

I was not a fan of how the adults in the story were portrayed. They just didn't seem realistic. Which is interesting, because usually authors mess up the portrayal of children, more than adults. The children were the best characters. Geoff was weird about his father's death. It was obviously years since the man died, but he still acted as if it was fresh. I know that the death of a parent is difficult, but if every adult who lost a parent acted that way, the world would have collapsed. Jan's reaction after she thought Ivory was dead made zero sense. She went from treating her husband like crap to wanting to protect him. After he was basically at fault for their daughter's death. As a mom, I promise no mom would react that way. Not even a crappy one. Even Sam and the police officer seemed off. If anything, they seemed to respond to things in a more childlike way than the children in the story did.

I was also a little thrown off by how the puppet girls hurt Jan and Geoff. The whole story was definitely horror, but when they were attacking the parents it got weirdly sexual. They were grabbing at Geoff's crotch and Jan's breasts. It just seemed out of place with the rest of the more childlike, creepy horror in the story.

Overall, happy I read it. It's nice to branch out now and then. I am, however, very glad that it is winter and I have no intentions of swimming anytime soon. ;)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments I'm new to Goodreads, that's my first group to join, and I was surprised to find that "Beauties in the Deep" is this month's read.

Like you, I'm not that interested in horror, but this story is one of my sister's all time favorites!

Cheers to that :)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Sara wrote: "I'm new to Goodreads, that's my first group to join, and I was surprised to find that "Beauties in the Deep" is this month's read.

Like you, I'm not that interested in horror, but this story is o..."

Welcome! Happy to have you.

It's so random that we happened to choose on of your sister's favorites, considering how relatively unknown it is. I think that's a sign you should convince your sister to join our group. ;)

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments Kristin B. wrote: "Sara wrote: "I'm new to Goodreads, that's my first group to join, and I was surprised to find that "Beauties in the Deep" is this month's read.

Like you, I'm not that interested in horror, but th..."

I'm happy to be here as well!

I already called her, I look forward to her joining the group soon :)

message 6: by Lisamarie (new) - added it

Lisamarie Chorowiec (beautewolf) | 4 comments Am I the only one that likes to hoard my favorite books, and keep them secret so only I know about them? Every time I give someone one of my favorite rereads it's like I'm telling them a secret. Oh and combined with the fact they wont give it back because they then love it too much.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Lisamarie wrote: "Am I the only one that likes to hoard my favorite books, and keep them secret so only I know about them? Every time I give someone one of my favorite rereads it's like I'm telling them a secret. Oh..."

It's always fun to have a good secret. Personally, I just like talking too much to keep things to myself. :) I love to hear what other people think about the things I love and try not to get too upset if they don't also love it.