A Galaxy Far, Far Away (A Star Wars Roleplay) discussion

Yavin 4 > X Wing Workshop

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lord (new)

Lord Warlock (strikelightning) | 67 comments Mod

message 2: by Lord (new)

She ran a hand over messy blonde hair, heaving a sigh as she scowled at the engine of her beloved X-Wing. Take another one, they had said, but she was disgustingly sentimental about her X-Wing. She had been in the red squadron far too long to even entertain the thought of switching it out. She turned to her droid, looking down at the little R9 unit with an almost-pout.

"Nine?" she asked, "... just... fix it, okay?"

A series of annoyed but agreeable bleeps had Nine moving towards the X-Wing, and she turned away, beginning to strip various pieces of her uniform off, her orange flysuit unzipped and pulled from her shoulders to reveal dark leggings and a simple khaki tank top. Around her neck was a necklace made from an unusual looking metal, a cyber crystal hanging freely from the chain.

message 3: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments The door to the X-Wing workshop opened with a hiss and some mechanical clanging. Lydra never understood why no one ever fixed the door so that it would open more smoothly. This place was teeming with mechanics, after all. She was about to call someone over to complain, but there wasn't a mechanic within earshot. They must have run when they saw her come in since the last time she was here, she nearly threw a wrench at the incompetent mechanic who was fixing her X-Wing. There was still one person there, however.

"Getting into trouble without me?" Lydra asked, approaching Maeva. Maeva was her senior, more so by experience than by age, with Lydra only joining the Resistance about five years ago. "And a lot of it by the complaints of your droid," She added with a smirk. Her squadron leader had been bothering her about getting a droid to help her co-pilot, but she could never seem to find one that she really liked.

message 4: by Lord (new)

Bright eyes flicker up as Lydra approaches, and she scowls, though there's no malice in her gaze. It's a find of fiery playfulness that all pilots seem to have. Trigger happy fly boys and girls, eh.

"Oh, believe me," she replied, "I'm not going to be the one in trouble when I get my hands on the Captain. We were so fucking outnumbered." She throws her jumpsuit down in slight frustration. "The Empire have this new pilot under their belt. Yeah, a pilot with legitimate talent, if you could believe it..." She gestured to her X Wing. "Just look at the state of it. And we lost about two thirds of our squadron. We're not overflowing with rebel applicants to begin with."

message 5: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "I'll certainly be betting on you in that fight," Lydra said, although her concern was apparent from the slight wrinkle forming between her brows. Maeva was right that they didn't have pilots to spare. The fight with the Empire had been occurring for so long that people had grown tired of the fight.

"You said a pilot with talent?" Lydra inquired, intrigued by the idea, "I thought that the Empire required their pilots be terrible. If their pilots start learning how to actually use their ships instead of flying them straight into our crosshairs, we're doomed." The Empire certainly had the Resistance outnumbered.

message 6: by Lord (new)

She chuckled lightly at that remark, before her face returned to seriousness again, and she nodded, her hand toying with the cyber crystal around her neck. "And you can't deny their TIE fighters are incredible..." She worried over it, as she worried over most things, before clicking her tongue in annoyance at herself. There was no use whining about it, it only meant they needed to get better.

"We need better droids," she added, turning her head to peer at Nine, "R9 is fine, but I've had her since I was a kid, we're in tune. I've spoken to the Vice Admiral about looting some more... You need one, for one."

message 7: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "I've never been one for having a co-pilot," Lydra said with a slight frown, "But I can't deny that there are times when it could be helpful." She noticed that Maeva was worrying again. She had certain tics that gave her away. This time, there was a good reason to be nervous, though. It seemed as though it would take a miracle for the Resistance to gain the upper ground now. She didn't want to say the words aloud, though. Maeva seemed devoted to the cause, much more than Lydra was. She didn't want to dash the hopes of one of the only friends that she had within the Resistance.

message 8: by Lord (new)

"Very helpful," she corrected, rolling her neck back, "I'd have been done for today if I hadn't had Nine to repair me as I went." She says no more on it, and she lets go of the talk of their odds too. Before she thought herself into a tiff again. It was an odd thing, to head out in the morning with your friends and come back at the end of the day with half of them in pieces scattered across space, but that was just what they had to do, and it had been the way she had been raised. Smiling now, she grabbed her blaster, slipping it into one leather boot before nodding to Lydra. "Come on, I have to show you something by the way, we made a breakthrough of our own yesterday in engineering."

The mechanics may have been borderline deplorable, but the engineers the Generals had labouring over plans and blueprints 24/7 were some of the best minds in the galaxy in Maeva's opinion, and whatever the Empire cooked up, they were sure not to be left too far behind.

message 9: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "Well, I'm glad that your droid is working hard," Lydra said, "I'd be a wreck without you here." She could tell that her words were heard through the sounds of maintenance that the droid was performing because she was acknowledged by a series of proud beeps and chirps. She laughed a bit, warming up to the idea of getting a droid of her own.

"Really?" Lydra responded, perking up at the news, "What sort of breakthrough?" She was glad to see that Maeva seemed to have cheered up, although she wondered how healthy it was for them to be able to dismiss the death of others so easily. She supposed that was just the way that things were during war, so she decided not to think about it too much.

message 10: by Lord (new)

She smiled at that, and not for the first time or reason, she was glad Lydra was a strong pilot. Too few ever came back, but Lydra was like a beautiful spider you couldn't quite manage to ever kill. Maeva felt safe being her friend, in a world where friends vanished daily, and that was saying something.

She arrives at one of the side rooms, punching in her access code before leading Lydra into the room, her lips quirking up as she looked at the glorious mess everywhere. "It's a right state," she allowed, "But I'd like to informally announce that we have just matched the Empire's technology for tracking through hyperspace."

message 11: by Spades (last edited Dec 28, 2017 05:35PM) (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments Lydra followed Maeva, her long silver hair swaying gently as she walked. She had always found these halls to be confining, and would much rather be in her X-Wing despite it being smaller, perhaps because she felt more like she was in open space. Her silent complaints were stopped whenever they arrived at their destination.

"Are you serious?" Lydra said, halting in her tracks for a second upon hearing the news, "This...this is incredible!" She laughed excitedly, looking around the room to take it all in. "How does it work?" She asked, examining one of the parts left strewn across a table.

message 12: by Lord (new)

"It's actually frustratingly simple," she said, unable to help smiling at Lydra's infectious delight, "There not much more to it than normal tracking, it was just a matter of stringing together a better formula to bypass the distance issue. A beacon that would hold." She pulled several of the papers towards her with a slightly cocky smirk. "In short, the odds are even again... mostly. Keep this to yourself though, the big guns don't want it common knowledge. We have an element of surprise up our sleeve now."

message 13: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments Lydra was glad that Maeva had given her the simple explanation. These sorts of things had never been her strong suit. She was just the one who went out and executed the plans using whatever new tech the engineers came up with.

"Of course," Lydra agreed. She doubted that there was anyone aboard this ship who she would trust with telling this sort of information anyways. Besides, she doubted that Maeva was supposed to tell her. Lydra already got reprimanded enough, and she certainly didn't want to drag Maeva into that with her.

"If this works, this could change everything," She said, her excitement still very apparent.

message 14: by Lord (new)

She nodded in agreement, before pressing a button, casting an image of the galaxy up into the air around them, and her eyes shine with that rare fire all rebels seem to have. "I want to get a head start on planning our next attack," she said quietly, "As of now... we have vague ideas of the whereabouts of the Emperor's ship. There's never been a better time than now to try and take it out."

Most would say Maeva was too cautious, but when it came to things like this, she was the exact opposite. Blinded by her desire to bring justice and freedom, and dead set on over ambitious missions like the one she was cooking up inside of her. Not that Lydra would regularly try and talk her down from her silly ideas, which was one of the reasons they were friends.

message 15: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments The shine in Maeva's eyes seemed to spread to Lydra's like wildfire. She was always ready for a fight. Her eyes reflected the blue light from the galaxy, never ceasing to be enamored with it.

"What did you have in mind?" She asked, wondering if she already had a plan. An attack on the Emperor's ship was bold, but bold was Lydra's specialty. It was a gift and also a flaw, but so far, she had been lucky and managed to keep her head despite being reckless.

message 16: by Lord (last edited Dec 28, 2017 06:25PM) (new)

"I've been thinking it through," she began, "There's no way they would ever run from us, so we could never get them to give chase, but..." She poked the image again, watching it shift. "If we can find them, engage them long enough to track them, and then somehow disappear from sight, they could think we've run away. And when they jump to hyperspace and leave? We could track them. Take them by complete surprise. If there's one thing we have on them it's that all their shit takes about ten years to prepare for battle. They're always the ones on the offense, but this time..." She smiled, somewhat smitten with the idea of for once having the upper hand. "The odds would be in our favour... But we'd need approval from at least one superior officer. We'd need the numbers and the resources to do it."

message 17: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments A smirk formed across Lydra's lips as she imagined the imperial fleet at their mercy. "We wouldn't be able to do it more than a few times, though," She said, "They'd catch on to us, especially since this is their strategy. We'd have to have our bombers ready to catch them whenever they come out of hyperspace." She bit her lip, deep in thought.

"This just might work, though," She said with a laugh, almost in disbelief that they would have such good fortune, "Although you'll definitely have to confirm with an officer. Strategy was never my strong suit, so I'm not sure that my analysis means much."

message 18: by Lord (new)

"No you're right..." she said softly, "We'll have just one shot... better make it count then." Suddenly, she ran her hand through tendrils of blonde again, before blinking. "But I need to get my head out the cockpit, I've been in there too long already. Shall we go?"

message 19: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "Yes, let's," Lydra said, pressing the button that Maeva had earlier, causing the diagram of the galaxy to disappear. Even though the image was gone, she could still see it vividly in her head. She was still excited about this, but there was a twinge of nervousness now. There was a lot at stake, and they couldn't afford to lose the pilots if this mission failed.

message 20: by Lord (new)

Maeva led the way out, and it took them several minutes to arrive at the common area just off the workshop. They were stopped several times on their way, but that was nothing new. Everyone was important in this rebellion, but the pilots where the poster kids, the golden children. Heroes.

She felt several years older by the time she reached the refreshment droid. That last flight had left her thirsty. "Want anything?"

message 21: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "I'll just have a water," Lydra said after a moment, although she could really go for a beer right about now. Alcohol was discouraged aboard the Rebellion ships, though, especially for the pilots. She missed hanging out in bars, though. There was something about the smoky air and loud arguments that always seemed to put her at ease.

"The scientists and engineers are the real heroes around here," Lydra said with a sigh, leaning against the back of one of the couches, "Without them, we'd have nothing to fly."

message 22: by Lord (new)

She hummed in agreement, tossing Lydra a canteen of water and a glass of blue milk for herself. "But if the world sees us as the heroes, as the rebels," she conceeded, "At least the brainy ones know they're our heroes."

She sank down onto one of the couches, her eyes closing momentarily as she drank the refreshing milk. "I miss the cantina on Coruscant."

message 23: by Spades (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:10AM) (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "At this point, I'd settle for any cantina," Lydra said with a laugh, taking a drink out of her canteen. She took a seat in the chair across from Maeva. She ran her slender fingers through her silver hair, pulling it to one side before leaning back in her chair. "I would say that would be the first place that I'd go after the war," She mused, "But I would probably head home to Chandrila first." After the words came out of her mouth, she wondered if they were insensitive. After all, Maeva's home had been destroyed, from what she had heard. She took another drink of water, trying to hide her embarrassment behind the canteen.

message 24: by Lord (new)

After the war... there was a concept. Her lips quirked slight, and she laughed. They'd been at war ever since the Jedi had fallen. Ever since Order 66... it was as though the Galaxy couldn't quite get back on its feet.

The talk of home didn't bother Maeva. She wasn't the only one who'd lost hers, it was more and more common as the years passed for rebels to join up for precisely that reason. She was just glad Chandrila was still there. Still relatively untouched and safe. "Take me with you when you go," she said lightly, "I've never been. I hear it's nice there."

message 25: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "Of course," Lydra replied, surprised that Maeva would be interested in her home. She knew it was just a dream for the war to be over, but she still kept telling herself that it would end. Perhaps she was being foolish, but at least it kept her from falling into despair. "There's plenty of bars there, too," She added with a laugh, "Although I find that they're often too sophisticated for my taste. I'd much rather go to the cantina on Coruscant."

message 26: by Lord (new)

"Big cities... no morals..." she laughed. She too had a rather more humble taste, but then again, there was something fun about being underdressed in pretentious bars and showing them how to really have a good time.

She blinked as the door opened, the telltale jingle of her crystal fox sounding out right before he jumped up onto the couch out of seemingly nowhere. "Hello, you..." She looked over to Lydra again now, before pressing her lips together. "I forgot to tell you... the next mission, the one next week. They're pulling out any pilots who may be Force Sensitive."

message 27: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "That doesn't apply to us, though...right?" Lydra asked, looking at Maeva with mixed concern and curiosity. It wasn't as though she had ever really had any experience with the force. She had incredible luck, though. Surely they wouldn't count that against her. "And what reason is there for pulling out Force Sensitive individuals? Surely many of the pilots fall into that category," She added.

message 28: by Lord (new)

"There's no way to know that," she sighed, running a hand through her hair habitually, "Most Force Sensitives stay dormant these days, but the return of the Sith... it's waking people up. At any moment - apparently it's making us a liability. You know Poe Dameron? Happened to him; poor guy almost died. Completely threw him off."

message 29: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments Lydra was surprised to hear that it had affected Poe. He was regarded as a hero amongst the pilots. "So they're pulling us off the mission," She said, mostly to herself. She usually would have responded with anger, but to hear that the Force had such an effect on even Poe Dameron made her hold her tongue. She hadn't been on a mission in a while, though, and she was itching to get in her X-Wing and fire at something. "Who are they going to send instead?" She inquired, "An army of droids?" She couldn't think of any other species that weren't susceptible to the Force.

message 30: by Lord (new)

"No," she said quietly, her lips pursing in thought, "They're apparently planning on screening everyone. Filter them out... but they can't bench Force Sensitives permanently. If the Dark rises, so must the Light. That's what my mother always said to me... and it's been rising like a shooting star as of late..." It sat uncomfortably with her, because although she understood, it seemed counterproductive long term not to use the Force Sensitives. And when the others found out about Poe being pulled out there'd be outrage.

message 31: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "It's so infuriating to not be able to do anything," Lydra said, letting out a frustrated sigh. She had all of this energy, and nowhere to channel it. She knew that it was unlikely that she would pass the screening, as humans we're known to be susceptible to the Force. "I think I'm going to hit the gym," She said, standing up. She needed to do something, anything. "Want to join me?" She inquired, "Or are you too tired after your last mission?"

message 32: by Lord (new)

"I don't plan on feeling tired for at least another twenty years, yet," she exhaled, rolling up onto her feet gracefully. She could see the frustration in Lydra's eyes, and she could empathise. Lydra was born to be on the move, born for a life like this, and to bench her was like asking a bird not to fly.

She rolled her shoulders back, before nodding, a gesture for Lydra to lead the way.

message 33: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "We'll see about that," Lydra said with a laugh as she began to walk down one of the halls. She didn't know what half of these rooms were for, but she certainly knew where the gym was. She spent a lot of time there. It helped her to get out all of her frustrations in a controlled environment before getting into her X-Wing. She pressed a button on the wall, causing a door to slide open to reveal the gym. It wasn't very since most of the people on board were too busy to use it, but it still had everything that was needed to stay in shape without having to go into the jungle outside. Lydra tied up her hair into a ponytail and wrapping her hands before taking out her frustrations on a punching bag.

message 34: by Lord (new)

Maeva wandered in after her comfortably, a flash of enjoyment running through her eyes before she'd even hit start on the treadmill, and she set off on a steady jog, tying her hair up in a messy knot on top of her head a few minutes in to keep it out the way. "Do you know," she began, her voice surprisingly steady despite the pace, "The Jedi used to forbid emotion? They said it was a lie."

message 35: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "Then it's a good thing that we aren't Jedi," Lydra replied, landing a particularly satisfying punch on the bag. "I knew that they forbade romance, but I didn't know that they forbade it all," She said, "It must be terrible to live like that, although once you get rid of all your emotions, I suppose you wouldn't miss them." She had always grown up viewing the Jedi as a bunch of fanatics, but she had to admit that they had done a lot for the Rebellion.

message 36: by Lord (new)

"It sounds like a horrible, cruel way to live," she replied, "The orders surrounding the Force have brought nothing but trouble to the galaxy, Sith and Jedi alike. It'd be better just to fuck it all off, but we never learn. Here both sides are... rebuilding again. As though history won't just repeat itself like it always does. You know what would restore balance to the Force? Leaving it the fuck alone."

message 37: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments Lydra stopped for a moment to look over at Maeva. She hadn't expected such a strong reaction from her. "Well, people will always be tempted by it," She said, returning to her work out, "I suspect it will always be around." She didn't really have much of an opinion on the Force. She wasn't even sure if it was real. She had never experienced it, so she wasn't ready to draw any conclusions about it.

message 38: by Lord (new)

"Of course it will," she agreed, "It will be here long after we're gone. The Force isn't the problem... people have jaded hearts. We're not fit to wield such power, and yet it's given to us. Then you end up with monsters like Lord El'kina." She clicked her tongue, before turning her head. "Promise me if you fail the screening you won't be inspired to join the Jedi."

message 39: by Spades (new)

Spades (thequeenofspades) | 30 comments "Do I look like a Jedi to you?" Lydra asked with a laugh, "I can't imagine joining a group of people that frown on having emotions." She wasn't planning on joining any sort of Force cult anytime soon. Sure, she would be frustrated if the Rebellion didn't let her fight, but she didn't think that would drive her to leave. She might disobey a few orders, though. "Besides, the robes wouldn't suit my figure," She added.