Play Book Tag discussion

Member ChallengeTracking 2016-20 > Jason 2018 Challenges

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 4: by Jason (last edited May 23, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Read 1 book from every century I will put a * when I finish each book.

I am editing this challenge slightly for the 20th and 21st century. The 20th century book has to be written before 1950. The 21st century book has to be published in 2018.

*1st: The Jewish War - Flavius Josephus - 4 Stars * ( REVIEW )
*2nd: Lucian's True History; - Lucian of Samosata* ( REVIEW )
*3rd: The Aethiopica - Heliodorus of Emesa 3 Stars* ( REVIEW )
*4th: Confessions - Augustine of Hippo* ( REVIEW )
*5th: City of God - Augustine of Hippo* ( REVIEW )
*6th: The Consolation of Philosophy - Boethius* ( REVIEW )
7th: The Qur'an / القرآن الكريم - Anonymous
*8th: Beowulf - Unknown* ( REVIEW )
*9th: The Life of Charlemagne - Einhard* ( REVIEW )
10th:
11th: The Tale of Genji -Murasaki Shikibu
*12th: Erec and Enide - Chrétien de Troyes* ( REVIEW )
*13th: The Prose Edda - Snorri Sturluson* ( REVIEW )
*14th: The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri* ( REVIEW )
*15th: The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry - Christine de Pizan* ( REVIEW )
*16th: Julius Caesar - William Shakespeare* ( REVIEW )
*17th: Paradise Lost - John Milton* ( REVIEW )
*18th: Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe* ( REVIEW )
*19th: The Vicomte de Bragelonne - Alexandre Dumas* ( REVIEW )
*20th: The Pianist: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939–45 - Władysław Szpilman* - 4 stars ( REVIEW )
21st: The Great Alone - Kristin Hannah

message 5: by Ladyslott (last edited Dec 21, 2017 03:27PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jason wrote: "Read 1 book from every century:."

Well that's a CHALLENGE!

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments Yowser. Can't wait to see how that non-PBT challenge goes!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments This is going to be an interesting year for you. I'm looking forward to peeking in.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I'm excited

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2221 comments This is such fun!

Bonus points for reading bits of your Listopia list in January too, now that we have the science tag. Smart man :)

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I'm excited. I have to many books for this tag that I want to read. Gonna be a fun and hectic month.

message 11: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5523 comments I can't wait to see how you do with the century books.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Update on my century challenge.

I finished 4 books for my century challenge. 2nd, 4th, 14th, and 19th century.

This month I have the 1st and 3rd century planned. Its been very interesting reading these books.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Update on my century challenge.

I finished 4 books for my century challenge. 2nd, 4th, 14th, and 19th century.

This month I have the 1st and 3rd century planned. Its been very interesting readin..."

Congratulations, Jason! That looks like a doozy of a challenge.... At least it would be for me anyway. It sounds like you are enjoying the books so far.

message 14: by Jason (last edited Mar 06, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I need to keep track of the books I have planned to read so I am going to make a list here.

Decathalon: Robinson Crusoe (also works for my century challenge)
Hard Luck
My Century Challenge:
City of God (I do not really want to read this book but it is the only 5th century book I can find. The other two I would like to read do not have modern English translations.)
The Consolation of Philosophy

And if I get to it, I would like to read: Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top

Whew what a list.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Listopia I Will Add A * When I Finish The Book
The Natural World, Natural Science, and Natural History for Adults

*1. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History - [author:Elizabet..."

I just noticed your Listopia choice, Jason. That reading list is making me rethink my decision to not participate in this challenge.

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Lisa A wrote: "Jason wrote: "Listopia I Will Add A * When I Finish The Book
The Natural World, Natural Science, and Natural History for Adults

*1. The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History - [a..."

Anita is also reading this list. I do not know what 6 books she picked out. I encourage you to give it a try.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, Jason. I'll check out Anita's choices too.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments 7 more books for my century challenge. I only have 7th through the 12th century and then the 21st century which I mandated had to be a 2018 book. It has been an experience. I'm excited for my next 7.

Any recommendations for a book published in 2018?

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments So proud of you Jason! You took this on, and have really done it! Let me think on the 2018 book rev.

message 20: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3162 comments Jason wrote: "7 more books for my century challenge. I only have 7th through the 12th century and then the 21st century which I mandated had to be a 2018 book. It has been an experience. I'm excited for my next ..."

Since I know you are a Shakespeare fan, perhaps Jo Nesbo's Macbeth.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments I wrote you privately, but I looked at the list of books published in 2018 and two that I have read that I thought were really good where the great alone, and the wife between us.