2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Maris 30+

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maris (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:47AM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments Hey!

For 2017, my goal was to get back into reading and I decided to "sign up" for 50 books, which I am in no way going to achieve, but I accomplished the most important thing - the main goal of rediscovering the joy of reading!

For 2018, I am going to take it easier. I aim to read as much as possible for me - read what I want to and what catches my fancy, but without the pressure of having to reach a goal that is too high for me (especially with university etc.). Another goal for the year is to read the many books on my TBR that I have not yet got to, because many I am extremely interested in!

7/30

Authors
Female: 2
Male: 5

Length
Short (<250): 3
Medium (251-500): 3
Long (>500): 1

Star rating
★★★★★: 3
★★★★: 1
★★★: 2
★★: 1
★:

By month
January: 1
February: 0
March: 4
April: 1
May: 0
June: 0
July: 0
August: 1
September
October
November
December

message 2: by Maris (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:48AM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments Books read:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ★★★
2. Crooked Kingdom ★★★★★
3. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe ★★★★★
4. Room ★★★★
5. Peter Pan ★★
6. They Both Die at the End ★★★★★
7. Gwendy's Button Box ★★★

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments Best of luck with your challenge!

message 4: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Maris wrote: "Hey!

For 2017, my goal was to get back into reading and I decided to "sign up" for 50 books, which I am in no way going to achieve, but I accomplished the most important thing - the main goal of r..."

Same here Maris: my passion for reading has been rekindled this past year, which was my main goal.
Wishing you a very happy reading year, may you find some amazing reads along the way!

message 5: by Maris (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments Susy wrote: "Maris wrote: "Hey!

For 2017, my goal was to get back into reading and I decided to "sign up" for 50 books, which I am in no way going to achieve, but I accomplished the most important thing - the ..."

Thank you! I am glad to hear you reached that goal this year as well! I wish you the very best for your next year's challenge! Hope you'll read amazing books and discover amazing stories this next year!

Blagica wrote: "Best of luck with your challenge!"

Thank you so much! Hope you have many wonderful reads next year!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Hi Maris and happy new year!
I'm glad to hear you weigh rekindling your passion for reading over whether or not you actually achieved your goal :) I hope you found some great books along the way!

Do you have a particular plan on what you'll be reading first this year?
Good luck with your goal and happy reading!

message 7: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Maris wrote: "Thank you! I am glad to hear you reached that goal this year as well! I wish you the very best for your next year's challenge! Hope you'll read amazing books and discover amazing stories this next year!"

Thank you so much Maris!!

message 8: by Maris (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi Maris and happy new year!
I'm glad to hear you weigh rekindling your passion for reading over whether or not you actually achieved your goal :) I hope you found some great books along the way! ..."

I did find several great books last year! As for this years challenge, I am planning to start it off by reading some of the books that I started last year, but didn't have the opportunity to finish, or I had borrowed from the library before the end of the year, but couldn't get to them with everything else going on.

I hope you the best of reading years as well! :)

message 9: by Maris (last edited Jan 25, 2018 05:26AM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ★★★

Completed: 19.01.18

I had been wanting to read this for a while and I was let down. I was expecting more and maybe that deterred me from fully enjoying it. I just think the characters were bland and one-dimensional and in dialogues, had the names not been mentioned, it'd been like reading one person in a conversation with themselves. Also, there was that note of sexism, that (yes, I understand that times were different) just didn't slip my notice. I suppose the films in a sense did a better job - you could tell characters apart because they really were different individuals.

I enjoyed the story, the premise was interesting, but the storytelling was a bit choppy and jumpy. I was expecting more, definitely, but I am glad I walked through that wardrobe for the first time in written word format.

Current read:
The Fellowship of the Ring

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments Congratulations on finishing your first book! 1 down 29 to go

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments Hoping March is a fantastic month for you Maris!!!!

message 12: by Maris (last edited Mar 04, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 2. Crooked Kingdom ★★★★★

Completed: 03.03.2018

Six of Crows was my top 3 read of 2017. I picked it up from the library in January, but that's when a reader's nightmare happened - I fell into a reading slump right after my exams and didn't get around to reading it then. So this March I decided to pick myself up and dust myself off and decided to take part in both #Readathonbyzoe and Read-O-Rama readathons. Crooked Kingdom was my main priority and I finished it in a day (that being said, I am most definitely not the fastest reader out there, so this is a major accomplishment!)

I loved Crooked Kingdom! I will admit that it was slightly slower than Six of Crows (that's why I will say the book was 4.5/5 for me), but I love the world, I love the characters and there was still so much to discover on every page. I am so glad for this piece of art and it is definitely something that I'll come back to eventually. It made me laugh and cry, it shocked me in all possible ways and left me satisfied of the conclusion. Leigh Bardugo is a very masterful author, whose works I wish to explore further and I am very glad that I managed to break through my reading slump with this magnificent book.

Currently reading:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

message 13: by Maris (last edited Mar 08, 2018 07:59AM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 3. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe ★★★★★

I adored this book so much! The characters were so well-written and life-like that I wanted to jump in there and hug them and knock some sense into them, when they did dumb things. I only had small problems that basically did not even exist. But a definite favorite! Pure magic on paper

4. Room ★★★★

It was well-written and intriguing, kept me wondering for what was next. It took me 30 or so pages to get into the writing style, but once I did, it was such a hard topic through a child's eyes that made it feel even more tragic when he couldn't understand the horror of Room and his mother's suffering. Wow, that's all I really know what to say.

Currently reading:
Peter Pan
We Were Liars

message 14: by Maris (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 5. Peter Pan ★★

Another children's classic that I'd been meaning to read for a while and which disappointed me greatly. I didn't like any of the characters, they were annoying and frustrating to me. The story dragged and such a short book felt like it was times longer and I kept putting it down because I just was not invested at all. I wish once again that it lived up to my expectations, but it unfortunately did not do that.

Currently reading:
We Were Liars

message 15: by Maris (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 6. They Both Die at the End ★★★★★

I loved it. It destroyed me. I spent the last twenty pages in tears, making everything so blurry it was hard to read at all. Damn you, Adam Silvera, for literally telling me the ending and breaking me anyway!

Curretly reading:
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
We Were Liars

message 16: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. . I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!

message 18: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!

message 19: by Maris (last edited Aug 04, 2018 04:54AM) (new)

Maris (maristocratic) | 147 comments 7. Gwendy's Button Box ★★★

I don't fully know what to think, honestly. It didn't evoke many feelings in me, hence the 3 star rating. It was alright. I think this story stretched out into a longer novel would've helped. Currently, however, it was lacking something and I unfortunately don't feel enough for it.

Currently reading:
Aquarium
A Darker Shade of Magic