Renegades (Renegades, #1)
This topic is about Renegades
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Sarah & Runell - Renegades

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5586 comments Mod
Sarah & Runell - Renegades

Runell When would you like to start this one, Sarah?

Sarah I was hoping for early January? I have to finish The Book of Strange New Things and then I think I was planning for Renegades next. Does that work with you?

Runell That should work for me. I don't know if my mom is finished reading it (it's actually her book), but if she is then perfect. If not, I'll start reading as soon as she's done.

Sarah Runell wrote: "That should work for me. I don't know if my mom is finished reading it (it's actually her book), but if she is then perfect. If not, I'll start reading as soon as she's done."

Sounds good!!

Runell I'm good to go!

I read the first few pages and I'm interested already, so that's always good.

Sarah Awesome! I’m finishing up The Immortalists and Fools and Mortals tonight/tomorrow, and then I’ll be ready to start!

Runell Awesome! I just finished The Afterlife of Holly Chase as my final book for 2017 so I'll be able to start with a clean slate for 2018 which I'm very happy about.

Runell Hey Sarah! Are you good to go for Renegades?

Sarah Yes! Sorry! I’m going to pick up the kindle version today. I’ll probably start tonight after work.

Runell You're totally fine. I'm going to be switching back and forth with The Empress and Renegades until I finish The Empress.

I've only read one book by Marissa Meyer (Cinder) and though I didn't really care for the book at all, I'm hoping that this one will be awesome and make want to give the Lunar Chronicles another chance.

Sarah Runell wrote: "You're totally fine. I'm going to be switching back and forth with The Empress and Renegades until I finish The Empress.

I've only read one book by Marissa Meyer (Cinder) and though I didn't real..."

If you want to chat about The Empress I'm totally happy to skim through it with you. I did't read it that long ago so I don't really want to do a whole re-read, but I remember there are definitely some WTF parts I'd like your opinion on. It was so good.

Sarah Also- I have high hopes for Renegades too, though I know I had my fair share of disappointing YA novels last year. So I'm going to try and not take it too seriously.

There's a Batman one by Marie Liu I'd like to check out but I'm disappointed because it's like New Age Batman and I really love classic Batman. There can be no replacement for Bruce Wayne. lol

Runell I'd love to chat about The Empress with you! The Diabolic was so good and sooo messed up that I'm eager to see how this one compares in the WTF category.

I was going to get the Batman book you're talking about, but when I tried to read Wonder Woman: Warbring by Leigh Bardugo when it came out whatever time in that latter part of 2017, I was so disappointed by it that I decided to cancel my preorder. I was looking forward to it because while my finace isn't the biggest reader, he loves Batman so I was hoping to convince him to read it.

Sarah I just double checked the description and it looks like it is about Bruce Wayne, just young Bruce Wayne (all the yellow and the word "Nightwalkers" threw me off). So I guess I will have to check it out. Though I wasn't the biggest fan of Lu's The Young Elites.

Runell I personally haven't read anything by Lu before, though I do have The Young Elites. What didn't you like about it?

Sarah It was just very direct. Nothing was left to the imagination. The plot itself was dragged out by the protagonist's inability to ask for help. I'm just not a fan of plots that could be solved very simply by saying "Hey- I need some help. Will you help me out?"

If she had done that in the first 100 pages or so there probably wouldn't have been a book at all.

To be fair to Lu, I missed the point that Adelina wasn't supposed to be likable. She was supposed to be a villain and The Young Elites is sort of her rise to villainy. If I had known that from the beginning I might have been more forgiving.

But I just feel like if you're going to write a book about a villain, they should be a full blown villain. Like Jorg in Prince of Thorns. He's a jerk that you know is a jerk and is not likable at all and it was totally okay and fun to read. Adelina was too wishy washy so I thought I was supposed to like her, and didn't like her so the "villain" effect was lost.

message 18: by Sarah (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Don't let me deter you though, a lot of people really loved it. And I didn't hate it enough to swear Lu off forever. I gave it a 3 and might even check out the sequel later. If she goes full Vader I think I'd enjoy it more. Sorry, lol, I'm such a nerd.

Runell I didn't realize that she was supposed to be a full on villain. I thought she was just supposed to be a morally gray character, or an antihero. This is good to know though if I decide to pick it up and try it out this year.

I tried to read Prince of Thorns and asked for the whole trilogy a handful of Christmases back, but I wasn't that big of a fantasy reader then so when I tried to read it initially I just couldn't get into it. This year I want to try again, and I'm so glad that I just gave them to my mom and not completely away because they're all hardcover.

And don't apologize for being a nerd because then I would have to apologize and I just can't do that, hahaha. I love my nerdy stuff way too much (my thing is Doctor Who).

Sarah Runell wrote: "I didn't realize that she was supposed to be a full on villain. I thought she was just supposed to be a morally gray character, or an antihero. This is good to know though if I decide to pick it up..."

Haha- no worries! I haven't gotten into Dr. Who yet but it is constantly recommended to me by one of my buddies at work.

I hope you do pick the Thorns trilogy back up! It was probably one of my favorite reads last year. Jorg really is super evil though (sociopath would be a good word for him) so just be ready for it.

Runell OMG, yes. Do it, do it, dooooo it. Doctor Who is so amazing. My finace got me into it the last few months of 2017 and I knocked out like three seasons in a month.

Sarah Starting Renegades tonight! Fingers crossed for a good one. I've never read Marissa Meyer before.

How's The Empress coming along. What part are you at?

Runell I'm at the part where Nemesis and Tyrus has come back from the Sacred City and Senator Pasus has captured Nemesis.

Sarah Runell wrote: "I'm at the part where Nemesis and Tyrus has come back from the Sacred City and Senator Pasus has captured Nemesis."

You are in for a wild ride! I don't want to spoil anything so I'll try to keep quiet lol.

Sarah Hey I probably should have mentioned this earlier- but I’m also buddy reading Renegades with a few other friends on GoodReads. Not like an official buddy read or anything there’s just a larger group who had all planned to read it this month and I was joining in with them.

I hope that’s okay? It’s in protest to a really hurtful review that was posted last month about there being a gay character in the book. The comments and the review itself were just so harmful to the LGBT+ community so I was trying to show my support.

If you aren’t comfortable with that I totally understand. I’m not trying to push my political views on you or anything and I am really excited to read it, I just wanted to let you know first.

I’m probably making this weirder than it needs to be lol.

Runell No, that's totally fine! I'm a supporter of the LGBT+ community. And it saddens me that people can be so hateful about a group of people that doesn't include them.

Sarah Awesome! Have you had a chance to start it yet? I’m actually really liking it though I wish some explanation of how these prodigies/superheroes came into existence was given.

Sarah Hey buddy- just wanted to check in and see how you were making out? Have you had a chance to start yet?