The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > Doorstopper 2018 (600-1000 pgs)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:44AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
stack of heavy books

Go big in 2018! Tackle at least one of those beasts awaiting you. Only books from 600-1000 pages count for this challenge. State your own goal.

See also:

Chunkster Challenge (400-600 pgs)
Shelf Bender Challenge (600-1000 pgs)

message 2: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3996 comments Mod
I am aiming for 3 doorstoppers this year.

message 3: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
I'm goanna try for at least 2- The Red and The Black and Dreamcatcher.

message 4: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I am going to read The Pickwick Papers (800pp) finally. Couldn’t get into it when I tried it forty years ago.

message 5: by smutty_lil_reader (last edited Dec 29, 2017 04:33PM) (new)

smutty_lil_reader | 201 comments Going to try for at least 1. Thinking about Lady Midnight

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (harasnicolebooks) | 4 comments I’m going to aim for one, but I’m not sure what that one is yet. I won’t count A Game of Thrones, because I’m already halfway through it, but if I can finish that get through the second, it might be that one. Or it might be The Fireman by Joe Hill.

message 7: by megan (new)

megan | 926 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I am aiming for 3 doorstoppers this year."

Same. Seems like a good goal.

message 8: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

*Completed*

My goal for the year is 4 doorstoppers:

✔ 1. As the Crow Flies by Jeffrey Archer (800 pgs)
✔ 2. Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb (688 pgs)
✔ 3. Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb (768 pgs)
✔ 4. Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb (888 pgs)

Completed
Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and the Fool, #1) by Robin Hobb Fool's Quest (The Fitz and The Fool, #2) by Robin Hobb Assassin's Fate (The Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb As the Crow Flies by Jeffrey Archer

message 9: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments Nice, Allison. War and Peace would be my first choice from your list. Thanks for the reminder why I won’t be rereading it this year...1400 pp! :)...but I would love to. Good luck with your goal!

message 10: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

LindaH wrote: "Nice, Allison. War and Peace would be my first choice from your list. Thanks for the reminder why I won’t be rereading it this year...1400 pp! :)...but I would love to. Good luck with your goal!"

Yes, it's a bit daunting so we'll see if I have the motivation to start it. Good luck with Pickwick Papers!

message 11: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Pickwick Papers was fun, and it is easy to take a break between chapters to read something shorter.

message 12: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments That’s good to know, Rosemarie. Without trying, I just realized I’ll be reading , in a group , another Doorstopper, Wives and Daughters (600+pp). Those 19th century authors!

message 13: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

LindaH wrote: "That’s good to know, Rosemarie. Without trying, I just realized I’ll be reading , in a group , another Doorstopper, Wives and Daughters (600+pp). Those 19th century authors!"

I love Elizabeth Gaskell, Linda. The only thing about Wives & Daughters is it was unfinished at her death so it leaves you hanging. But there's a BBC adaptation that I really like that gives you an ending.

message 14: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Dec 31, 2017 08:40AM) (new)

There's a new challenge for books over 1000 pages now. Some of you might be interested in that one.

message 15: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments My library book is over 700 pages. It's The Old Wives' Tale. I need to get started on it soon.

Travelling Bookworm (travellingbookworm) | 11 comments I'll try for 3 big ones this year...
To ease into it, I think I will start with Illuminae and Gemina, which are both over 600 pages, but in a kind of epistolary format. So I am guessing it won't be too daunting.
The next step is either a work by Stephen King, or Charles Dickens: Five Novels (which is visually terrifying, by the way).

message 17: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

You could probably count most of the Dickens novels individually, Damla!

message 18: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Damla, I can only imagine how big of a book that Dicken's five novels is! I agree with Ali, they probably are all doorstoppers by themselves!

Travelling Bookworm (travellingbookworm) | 11 comments Allison and Jenny,
Thanks guys, that's a good idea. I'll definitely read at least one, and that way there is less pressure to keep on going, which will make it less scary to start. (Although holding that book for all 5 novels would give me some pretty serious arm muscles in 2018, that can be my fitness goal haha)

message 20: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Damla, I can't imagine how huge that book must be!

message 21: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) | 812 comments I've started Wives and Daughters, my edition is nearly 800 pages. Hopefully I'll read more big books this year!

message 22: by Lake (new)

Lake I'm going to try for 3 this year, starting with The Wise Man's Fear just so I can catch up with all my friends who read it years ago. Maybe I'll finish up Lord of the Rings too, while I'm here. I still have the last two to finish for that. I have a lot on my list that are massive, but I honestly can't say I'll have time. We'll have to see(:

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 16 comments reserving my spot

message 24: by Martha (last edited Sep 27, 2018 01:33AM) (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 0 comments Reserving a spot. I don't know how many I'll read, but I've missed reading big books and I'm determined to read a few this year.

1. David Copperfield (821 pages)
2. The Grapes of Wrath (619 pages)

message 25: by Maureen (last edited May 11, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Maureen Lo | 76 comments Mo's Doorstopper challenge.
1) Jane Eyre 650 pages. *Read 14 Feb 18*

message 26: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jane Eyre is a great book! What did you think?

message 27: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Murphy (tiffers919) | 59 comments I want to read at least 5 Doorstoppers this year.
1.Monsters of Men 643 pages

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael | 26 comments I'm reading Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton (730 pages) right now. Stay tuned for more!

message 29: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I finished Fool's Assassin at 688 pgs. It honestly didn't feel that long, which tells me it was good.

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Murphy (tiffers919) | 59 comments I can relate! Monsters of men didn’t seem nearly that long to me. I was surprised when I saw the page count.

message 31: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lo | 76 comments Jenny wrote: "Jane Eyre is a great book! What did you think?"

I am thoroughly enjoying it Jenny. :) Have you read all her books?

message 32: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

All except for The Professor. I also need to read Anne Brontee's Tenant of Wildfield Hall, and then I will have read everything I know of for the Brontee sisters!

message 34: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 34 comments

Doorstopper

I want to read one 600-1000 page book in English.

message 35: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments Am in and aiming for 5.

Doorstopper

1. The Brothers Karamazov (796 pages)
2. Assassin's Quest (838 pages)
3. The Iliad (683 pages, different edition from one listed here)
4. The Idiot (983 pages, different edition from one listed here)
5. East of Eden (620 pages, different edition from one listed here)

message 36: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Srividya, you'll have to let us know how Brothers Karamazov is! I've had my eye on it but have been hesitant!

message 37: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 221 comments Jenny wrote: "Srividya, you'll have to let us know how Brothers Karamazov is! I've had my eye on it but have been hesitant!"

Definitely, Jenny! Will do that.

message 38: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Thanks!

message 39: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Jenny, The Brothers Karamazov is an amazing book. I loved it.

message 40: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

It keeps calling me Rose!

message 41: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Just make sure you have time to read it!

message 42: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 437 comments The lion's game. Over 800 pages. Pretty good so far

message 43: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

It'll probably be next year for me, since I don't have a copy and keep telling myself no more books till I catch up LOL! Glad you're enjoying your book, Sonya!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Sonya wrote: "The lion's game. Over 800 pages. Pretty good so far"

Can you please tell me the author of your book?

message 45: by Anna (last edited Mar 23, 2018 07:22AM) (new)

Anna (kikina42) I am rereading the Harry Potter Series in audio book form, so that ensures at least 3 doorstoppers down for now

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 870p
2. American Gods - 635p

smutty_lil_reader | 201 comments Just finished A Court of Mist and Fury 626 pages.

message 47: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I finished The Old Wives' Tale yesterday. A good read, I'd recommend it.

message 48: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Dec 27, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

Doorstopper Challenge 2018

1. Eclipse of the Sun by Michael D. O'Brien 856 pages
2. Die Blendung by Elias Canetti 844 pages
3. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens 858 pages
4. Poems 1962-2012 by Louise Glück 634 pages
5. Outcasts of Order by L.E. Modesitt Jr. 654 pages
6. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton 832 very painful pages
7. The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope 687 pages
8. Phineas Redux by Anthony Trollope 874 pages

message 49: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Murphy (tiffers919) | 59 comments I thought I’d signed up for this sooner. Is it too late?

message 50: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Tiffany, not at all! It runs all year, so feel free to join in!

« previous 1