Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > PBT 10th Anniversary Decathlon Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 636 (636 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 21, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Each month from January through October, we will be posting one event (challenge) for you to complete during that month. If you complete the event during the assigned month and post your review, you will receive 5 entries into a raffle.

If you do not complete the event during the assigned month, you can complete it during any of the subsequent months up through October. Once you post your review, you will receive 3 entries into a raffle for each challenge.

After October ends, if you still have a few lingering events, you will have until November 25th to complete the remaining events. Once you post your review you will receive 1 entry into a raffle.

If you cannot get to all ten events, that is perfectly fine! Do the ones you are able/want to complete and you will earn raffle entries for those. Of course, the more entries you have the better your chances at winning a prize are, but even one entry gives you a chance!

Then, we will hold the raffle in early December and announce first, second, and third place winners! What is the prize, you ask? Well, we are still working it out but in honor of a decade of fun and friendships on PBT, it will be worthwhile!

Reporting for the Decathlon Challenge

Because of the layers of points for this challenge, I will start a new thread to report your reads each month. Then, when you report your review, please post it in the current month's thread regardless of what leg of the decathlon you read it for, and clearly mark the which leg it was read for.

You will see that your post will look exactly the same regardless of when you read the book, but WHERE you post it will change.

For example (and this is made up, it will not be a decathlon leg), let's say the decathlon challenge for January is to read a book set in the state/country you were born. I was born in Missouri and I choose to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

IF I READ IT IN JANUARY, I would post something like this in the January Decathlon thread:

January: state/country you were born
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 5 points for reading the decathlon challenge in the month is was assigned.

IF I READ IT IN MARCH, my posting would go in the March Decathlon thread:
[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 3 points for reading the decathlon challenge in a month other than the one it was assigned up through October.

IF I READ IT IN NOVEMBER, which will have no new decathlon leg but will be a catch up month, my posting would go in the November Decathlon thread:

[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 1 point for reading the decathlon challenge in the catch up month.

message 2: by Nicole R (last edited Sep 25, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments DO NOT POST YOUR REVIEWS IN THIS THREAD

See the monthly reporting threads. I will link to each of them here as they become available on the first of each month.

January: read something that is a tribute to our retiring administrator, Linda (Ladyslott).

February Decathlon Challenge: read any one of the ten books listed on your Goodreads TBR that have been there the longest.

March: read all three tags that were vote options (classics, autobiography, illustrated). One book can count for all three, you can read three separate books, or any combination in between!

April: Contact me with a list of 10 titles on your TBR, and let the randomizer choose your next read!

May: Read one book from the Man Booker shortlists for the past 10 years! (that is 2008-2017, for those bad at math). An easy to peruse list can be found on Wikipedia. Ah, Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

June: Pick any one of the past 10 years and think about why it was special to you. Read a book that somehow evokes that special time and share the specifics in your PBT review i.e. if you took a trip to Greece, pick a book set there. Be sure to tell us about the connection!

July: Do one buddy read with a fellow PBT member and indicate in your review who you read your book with. The book does not need to fit the monthly tag and the "buddy" you read with does not have to be competing in the Decathlon Challenge.

Got more than one buddy? Feel free to form a small group! Just be sure to list the people's names that you read it with in your review.

August: Read a book for the monthly tag that is recommended by a PBT member in the "Announcing the (month) thread" in the month that it is recommended.

Be sure to include in your review who recommended the book!

For August, you can find recommendations here. Please note that if you complete this challenge in future months, then the monthly tag and recommendation thread will change too!

September: Read one book that an administrator rated 5 stars and that fits the monthly tag.

You can find the admin bookshelves at:
Nicole R: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Anita (againstthetide): https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Cindy (LibraryCin): https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
JoLene: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

The book you select must tagged "friendship" on GoodReads—this is one of the rare times where we stick to a more strict definition than the when doing normal reading for the monthly tag in order to keep things fair for everyone. However, the individual admin does NOT have to have tagged it as friendship, the individual admin just has to have given it 5 stars.

Want an extra challenge? JoLene, Cindy, and I also use the tag "favorite" to indicate the best of the best of our 5-star reviews!

Interested in narrowing the search a bit? Then you can compare your shelf to each admin and see which books may already be on your TBR!

October: One of the best things about Play Book Tag is getting to know the other members and forming friendships that may go even beyond our online platform. I am reminded what a gift that is even more over the past couple of days with the passing of JoLene.

So, let's get to know each other better! We have our PBT Members: Who Are We? thread, where we all introduce ourselves, but the thought answering some fun questions would be interesting!

For October, please answer any 10 questions from this list: https://conversationstartersworld.com....

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments January Decathlon Challenge: read something that is a tribute to our retiring administrator, Linda (Ladyslott).

You may pick something off of her extensive shelves (any), or pick something that reminds you in some way of her (hint: Mets fan, New Yorker, snowbird, tennis).

In your review (on the review thread), please let us know why you picked it!

message 4: by Joni (new)

Joni | 613 comments How do we get access to Linda's shelves?

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Joni wrote: "How do we get access to Linda's shelves?"

You just need to click on her name here on PBT (she is still listed as an admin) and then browse from there! You may have to request to be her friend, I am not sure what her setting are.

Alternatively, you can pick something that just reminds you of Linda without it coming from her shelf.

You could also use the search function here on PBT and see what she has written reviews for lately, and I know that her personal tracking thread has lots of information as well!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments For the Decathalon in general, or for just the January Linda event, we need to really just one book? Or can we read as many as we like for extra points?

message 7: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 21, 2017 11:05AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Amy wrote: "For the Decathalon in general, or for just the January Linda event, we need to really just one book? Or can we read as many as we like for extra points?"

Amy, your post doesn't make sense to me (girl, proofread! lol), but I think you are asking if you can read as many books per month as you want and get points for each of them?

The answer to that is no, you can only get points for one book read per decathlon leg. So, if you read for each month in the month it was assigned, then you can earn a maximum of 50 points (which are really raffle entries).

However, if you want to read more for your personal satisfaction, then you can certainly do so and track it in your personal challenge thread! But, do not officially report more than one a month.

If that was not your question then let me know....

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments Please forgive in general errors made due to voice texting. Sometimes after you press send, the powers that be do what they wish to do. I am a lot clearer in general from my computer or in person. But yes you answered my question. The intention is one book per Decathalon leg. No extra points for outdoing oneself.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6433 comments Joni wrote: "How do we get access to Linda's shelves?"

Here's a link to Linda's shelves. I'm pretty sure everyone can see them. Let us know if you can't so we can address that!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Anita wrote: "Joni wrote: "How do we get access to Linda's shelves?"

Here's a link to Linda's shelves. I'm pretty sure everyone can see them. Let us know if you can't so we can address that!

https://www.goodre..."

Anita- I think Linda's profile is private, which is why I cannot view her profile or shelves, even using the link. Just passing the info along though. :-)

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Lisa A ⛄ wrote: "Anita wrote: "Joni wrote: "How do we get access to Linda's shelves?"

http..."

I believe I made it private when the weird guy was posting to several members. I can undo that.

message 12: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I had it set to friends only, but I opened it up to Goodreads members.

message 13: by Joi (last edited Dec 21, 2017 01:28PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Love January!
Linda and I have ALOT of crossover reads normally. I'll probably go with a psychological thriller, because we both tend to read many of the same of these and can compare/contrast.

Also HOLY COW LINDA0 1800+ books on your GR, with over 1200 read?! Wow!!!

Also, dont' forget about the "compare books" function. When your on Linda's profile page, you can click compare books- and it will show all the books you and her already have both on your shelves. We had 99, many of which are books she has read, and are on my TBR!

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7014 comments Nicole R wrote: "January Decathlon Challenge: read something that is a tribute to our retiring administrator, Linda (Ladyslott).

You may pick something off of her extensive shelves (any), or pick something that r..."

I love this one!

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6433 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I had it set to friends only, but I opened it up to Goodreads members."

Thank you so much, Linda! That's very helpful!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Ladyslott wrote: " Lisa A ⛄ wrote: "Anita wrote: "Joni wrote: "How do we get access to Linda's shelves?"

Here's a link to Linda's shelves. I'm pretty sure everyone can see them. Let us know if you can't so we can a..."

Thank you. Sorry about the weird guy!

message 17: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Lisa A ⛄ wrote: "Thank you. Sorry about the weird guy!
..."

No problem. I only did it because he was very creepy. I had been a member here for a number of years, and never had a problem until that guy.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ladyslott, you have many many shelves. Do you have a favorites or most profound shelf?

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6433 comments Jason wrote: "Ladyslott, you have many many shelves. Do you have a favorites or most profound shelf?"

If you do a "compare shelves", you can sort by rating and see all of the Linda's 5 star books that you have on your own TBR. That's what I did, and I got like 10 different options! I picked one that was her favorite this year . . .

message 20: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jason wrote: "Ladyslott, you have many many shelves. Do you have a favorites or most profound shelf?"

Jason;

As Joi mentioned I am a big fan of psychological thrillers/mysteries and a huge Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch fan. Probably my most "profound" shelf would be Historical Fiction - in particular books set during The World Wars. I also am a big fan of anything Tudor related.
I'm also a beach bum. I spend my winters in Florida at Delray Beach and my summers on Long Beach and Montauk both in New York - so I have a number of books tagged 'beach reads' which are usually light and easy reading.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Jason wrote: "Ladyslott, you have many many shelves. Do you have a favorites or most profound shelf?"

Jason;

As Joi mentioned I am a big fan of psychological thrillers/mysteries and a huge Michae..."

Thank-you. I wished I had saved Ron Darlings book for January. haha

message 22: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jason wrote: "Thank-you. I wished I had saved Ron Darlings book for January. haha
..."

I'm dying to read it! How was it?

message 23: by Jason (last edited Dec 21, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I reviewed it on here. I liked it. The writing is not great, like most books by athletes., but this book is different. It is about that 1 game. I liked that. Living with the feelings of failng while at the same time the feelings of triumph. My appreciation for Darling and for the players in such big moments grew to a new level.

Here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Anita wrote: "Jason wrote: "Ladyslott, you have many many shelves. Do you have a favorites or most profound shelf?"

If you do a "compare shelves", you can sort by rating and see all of the Linda's 5 star books ..."

Thank-you I forgot about that feature.

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Joi wrote: "Also, dont' forget about the "compare books" function. When your on Linda's profile page, you can click compare books- and it will show all the books you and her already have both on your shelves. We had 99, many of which are books she has read, and are on my TBR! ..."

That was what I was going to do to see what she's got on her shelf that's on my tbr!

message 26: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments On the compare shelves, you can pick which shelves you want to compare. I have a shelf called own-TBR, that is the books I own, which I then compared to Linda’s read shelf. I will probably pick a historical fiction book, since that is a genre that we both like.

message 27: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2336 comments Anita wrote: "If you do a "compare shelves", you can sort by rating and see all of the Linda's 5 star books that you have on your own TBR. That's what I did, and I got like 10 different options! ..."

I never knew about that function! What a fabulous feature :)

And my, oh my, what a wealth of options it gives me...

message 28: by Ladyslott (last edited Dec 23, 2017 08:57AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments So I have a question: The challenge is a tribute to me. Do I read anything I want? LOL!

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6433 comments Ladyslott wrote: "So I have a question: The challenge is a tribute to me. Do I read anything i want? LOL!"

Ha ha, I feel like that's an affirmative! Try to kick off your year with a 5 star read!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments I'd love to know what the classic Linda read is! Maybe some of us choose to read what you are reading this month as a tribute to you.

message 31: by Ladyslott (last edited Dec 23, 2017 10:03AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "I got like 10 different options! I picked one that was her favorite this year . . . s ..."

I'll take a stab in the dark and say the author is Elizabeth Gilbert. (works for the Science tag too)

message 32: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "I'd love to know what the classic Linda read is! Maybe some of us choose to read what you are reading this month as a tribute to you."

Most likely read will be a Harry Bosch book by Michael Connelly:

Trunk Music

I watch the Amazon series Bosch, (which is a great police procedural). The series is going in almost chronological order and this season will be ahead of where I am so I'm trying to get up to where they are in the coming season.

I actually started the books in the middle and read 5 before going back to the start. So this is #5 in the series, but I've actually read up to #15 and there are 6 more after that.

message 33: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5783 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Amy wrote: "I'd love to know what the classic Linda read is! Maybe some of us choose to read what you are reading this month as a tribute to you."

Most likely read will be a Harry Bosch book by Mi..."

I started in the middle as well, but that was with The Last Coyote. I worked back to the first, at some point I stopped reading and had to catch up. I think I have one to read yet.

message 34: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Ladyslott wrote: "So I have a question: The challenge is a tribute to me. Do I read anything I want? LOL!"

LOL!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments OK Lady Linda - If you don't mind, I am going to let you select what you want me to read in your honor in January. Or top two if I can't get one out from the library in time. I picked from your lists of currently reading, want to read, and recently read. Your pick shall be my pleasure.

CR - The Lying Game

RR- The Cuttingly Secret
Elinor Elephant is Completely Fine
The hate U Give
Beartown

WR- The Girls in the Picture
The Great Alone

message 36: by Ladyslott (last edited Dec 23, 2017 02:23PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Amy wrote: "OK Lady Linda - If you don't mind, I am going to let you select what you want me to read in your honor in January. Or top two if I can't get one out from the library in time. I picked from your lis..."

I wholeheartedly recommend Elinor Oliphant - you will never forget her.

The Hate You Give - Great, timely read but a lot of swearing if that's an issue.

Beartown - Great book for social issues, as is The Hate U Give. But it's about a difficult topic, and I can't really reveal it since it's a big plot point.

The Cottingly Secret is okay. I'm a big fan of Helen Gaynor, but this one was little flat.

I'm almost done with the Lying Game and unless something spectacular happens in the last 50 pages it will be a 3 star read.

As to The Girls in the Picture that isn't being released until January 16th and The Great Alone is not being released until February 6th. I'm number 46 on the waitlist - and there are 116 people on the list. Right now they have one copy, but I'm sure they will add more. I hope.

Hope that helps!

message 37: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments I found The Man Who Spoke Snakish on your Muse monthly shelf and my library has it (though I'll be reading it in German).

message 38: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Is there going to be a separate thread for the January leg? I'm just wondering because my book arrived at the library and I'll be starting it as soon as I finish my science read.

message 39: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Rachel wrote: "Is there going to be a separate thread for the January leg? I'm just wondering because my book arrived at the library and I'll be starting it as soon as I finish my science read."

Just started it! Thanks for the reminder. The first month of new challenges always sneaks up on me :)

message 40: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4983 comments Do we get extra points if the Decathlon book matches the monthly tag and the Listopia Challenge as well? I've chosen a book that matches all 3 - I Am Half-Sick of Shadows.

message 41: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Unfortunately, not for this one. But be sure to post in the monthly thread to get participation points!

message 42: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7014 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I had it set to friends only, but I opened it up to Goodreads members."

Thankfully you read and gave 5 stars to a book I am planning to read this month, The Hate U Give!

message 43: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments There is just a single tag for the challenge, so that is the shelf to add your book too!

Some members choose to wait then shelf a slew of books at one (that’s what I do) while others often forget (this is a reminder!) but eventually the books make their way there.

It is great that you are remembering to shelve!

message 44: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I know that Cindy appreciates that!

message 45: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Now that we know the February tag I was wondering when we will find out what the decathlon challenge is for February?

message 46: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I will post in the next couple of days.

message 47: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments February Decathlon Challenge: read any one of the ten books listed on your Goodreads TBR that have been there the longest.

I will post the review thread for the February reads (and lock the January one) on February 1!

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5808 comments Nicole R wrote: "February Decathlon Challenge: read any one of the ten books listed on your Goodreads TBR that have been there the longest.

I will post the review thread for the February reads (and lock the Januar..."

I don't keep my TBR on GoodReads ... but I have an excel spreadsheet that predates my being here ... okay if I pick one of those?

message 49: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I don't keep my TBR on GoodReads ... but I have an excel spreadsheet that predates my being here ... okay if I pick one of those?"

Sure. As with most games, we play on the honor system.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8531 comments Very clever! I’m excited to look and see and pick one. Smart choice.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13