Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Announcing the 2018 PBT Challenges

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 21, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments The two official PBT Challenges for 2018 will be: PBT Decathlon and Listopia!

Instructions for both are below, and feel free to ask questions here. I will also be starting a thread for each challenge. Please pay special attention to how the reporting will be done for the PBT Decathlon

Listopia Challenge

Pick one Goodreads Listopia list (https://www.goodreads.com/list) from which you will read 6 or more books. Administrators will award extra participation points on a per book basis for lists best fit the following categories. Members will vote on the lists to determine which lists win each category at the end of the year.

a) Most interesting list (10 points per book)
b) Hardest list to read (20 points per book)
c) List we least expected the particular member to choose (10 points per book)

You must select your list in January, and then if it happens to fit a PBT monthly tag at some point during the year, you will get 5 bonus participation points for each book you read on your list during that month.

You only get participation points for this challenge if you either win a category at the end of the year or your Listopia list happens to also fit the monthly tag.

So, if your Listopia list happens to align with a PBT tag one month, then be sure to cross-post to the monthly tag folder and clearly identify it as also fitting Listopia! That way, Anita can award the bonus points when she calculates participation points.

Of course, as always, any books that you review for any challenge should also be listed in the monthly tag/nonmonthly tag folders to get participation points for the reviews! But, just the standard points apply in this case unless the above applies to you one month.

Feel free to track this in your personal tracking thread and then post your reviews in the Listopia thread

PBT Decathlon

Each month from January through October, we will be posting one event (challenge) for you to complete during that month. If you complete the event during the assigned month and post your review, you will receive 5 entries into a raffle.

If you do not complete the event during the assigned month, you can complete it during any of the subsequent months up through October. Once you post your review, you will receive 3 entries into a raffle for each challenge.

After October ends, if you still have a few lingering events, you will have until November 25th to complete the remaining events. Once you post your review you will receive 1 entry into a raffle.

If you cannot get to all ten events, that is perfectly fine! Do the ones you are able/want to complete and you will earn raffle entries for those. Of course, the more entries you have the better your chances at winning a prize are, but even one entry gives you a chance!

Then, we will hold the raffle in early December and announce first, second, and third place winners! What is the prize, you ask? Well, we are still working it out but in honor of a decade of fun and friendships on PBT, it will be worthwhile!

Reporting for the Decathlon Challenge

Because of the layers of points for this challenge, I will start a new thread to report your reads each month. Then, when you report your review, please post it in the current month's thread regardless of what leg of the decathlon you read it for, and clearly mark the which leg it was read for.

You will see that your post will look exactly the same regardless of when you read the book, but WHERE you post it will change.

For example (and this is made up, it will not be a decathlon leg), let's say the decathlon challenge for January is to read a book set in the state/country you were born. I was born in Missouri and I choose to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

IF I READ IT IN JANUARY, I would post something like this in the January Decathlon thread:

January: state/country you were born
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 5 points for reading the decathlon challenge in the month is was assigned.

IF I READ IT IN MARCH, my posting would go in the March Decathlon thread:
[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 3 points for reading the decathlon challenge in a month other than the one it was assigned up through October.

IF I READ IT IN NOVEMBER, which will have no new decathlon leg but will be a catch up month, my posting would go in the November Decathlon thread:

[star rating]
[review]

I would then get 1 point for reading the decathlon challenge in the catch up month.

message 2: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1529 comments Looks like I'm the only one who was stalking PBT waiting for this announcement :-). I'm excited about the listopia challenge. I know some members are burned out on lists but there are so many lists available hopefully everyone will be able to find a list they like. I'm also excited for the decathalon to start.

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments Yay that's the one I wanted to win! I already looked at lists and have an idea which direction I want to go in.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m looking forward to planning and getting started!

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Awesome!!! Thanks for letting us know so we can plan accordingly.

I'm a little sad NFL didn't win (Mods- please make this an option again next year!!! Give it another chance :)) I'll probably make my list something non-fiction in dedication (omg loophole?!!?)

If January really is state/country you were born, than I will have absolutely 0 excuses to not get to Pachinko, lol.

message 6: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Yay! That’s the one I hoped for.

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments Okay, I no longer remember all of the choices and exactly what I voted for, so now I will have to consider which one (or both) I will do.

Decisions in December when life is a flurry :).

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Joi wrote: "Awesome!!! Thanks for letting us know so we can plan accordingly.

I'm a little sad NFL didn't win (Mods- please make this an option again next year!!! Give it another chance :)) I'll probably mak..."

NFL did come in second, so we will definitely keep it under consideration for the future. I wanted it too, lol.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ive looked through the goodreads lists and I can't make a decision. I will let someone make that decision for me. Post a suggestion and I will use it.

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Jason wrote: "Ive looked through the goodreads lists and I can't make a decision. I will let someone make that decision for me. Post a suggestion and I will use it."

Lol, I feel your pain! That's pretty brave of you to let someone pick your list. I looked at like 100 (because I knew what was coming, lol). I narrowed it to three, and I think I've got my final. Feel free to share it. You can find it on my member challenge thread.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Anita wrote: "Jason wrote: "Ive looked through the goodreads lists and I can't make a decision. I will let someone make that decision for me. Post a suggestion and I will use it."

Lol, I feel your pain! That's ..."

Since you were the first to post, I will use your list. That is not my first choice but that is how you broaden your horizons. I did see a few I think would be interesting. Thank-you

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments I love having reading company, Jason, but I encourage you to keep your eyes peeled for something that appeals to you more! You still have lots of time to choose.

message 13: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah - thanks for letting us know.

For decathlon, when will we get the task?? I know, I know.....I’m a planner, seriously, that is my RL job :-D.
Also, can you read more than one book for the month to earn more raffle points?

Off to find a list......

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments It is already posted in the Decathlon thread in the 2018 challenges folder. It is pinned to the top.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6015 comments Don't know if I'll do Listopia ... I really hate Listopia, especially after I did a long challenge in another group that had me reading a book from EVERY one of the top 100 Listopia lists. What a chore!

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Now that we know the challenges, I just wanted to mention that I've just added in a "tag"/shelf for each challenge, so please add any books you read for each challenge to our bookshelf and tag them with the appropriate tag! Thanks so much!

message 17: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Joi wrote: "I'm a little sad NFL didn't win (Mods- please make this an option again next year!!! Give it another chance :)) I'll probably mak..."

Joi, I was hoping for NFL, as well!

I have yet to peruse the Listopia lists, but I'm sure I'll find something that appeals!

message 18: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6204 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Don't know if I'll do Listopia ... I really hate Listopia, especially after I did a long challenge in another group that had me reading a book from EVERY one of the top 100 Listopia lists. What a c..."

I'm always doing challenges that I don't complete, choosing from a list of books almost guarantees that I won't, so I'm glad to see somebody else who feels the same way. It is okay, because I'm really not that good at challenges any way and I will try to do the Decathalon.

I loved the linking non-fiction one and may try to do that with both fiction and non-fiction. I used to do it all the time with my reading and have gotten away from that, so I may try doing it again in 2018,

message 19: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Ok, first I was totally despondent that it was Listopia not NFL.

But then I discovered the weirdness and wonderfulness of some of the Listopia lists.

How about "Tulips and other bulbs"? More daffodils than tulips, looking at that list. But it's colourful at least.

"Best gay romance featuring characters attending high school/college"? Maybe a little specific and there's a risk it could feel slightly repetitive ...

"Possessive, controlling, jerk, anti-heroes that love their woman" would probably have me throwing things at the wall. Yeah. Great title. But probably not.

I think I'll avoid "Essential Programming Books" too ... I'm sure that could go into the award for hardest list, and I'm horribly competitive, but not quite that much ...

But then I found "Speculative fiction that passes the Bechdel test". Ka-ching! Just WAY too good an opportunity to play!

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments KateNZ, Thanks for mentioning the Bechdel test. I had to look it up but very interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechd...

message 21: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Here's a little tip for those concerned about the Listopia challenge.

When you click on a list, if you look in the right hand column, it will tell you how many books you've already read off of a particular list AND how many books from your TBR are on the list.

You've read 21 of the top 100 books and 2 are on your to-read shelf.

This can be helpful for finding a list that cross references well with books you are interested in reading anyway. I found numerous lists that had 6 or more books from my TBR.

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ok, first I was totally despondent that it was Listopia not NFL.

But then I discovered the weirdness and wonderfulness of some of the Listopia lists.

How about "Tulips and other bulbs"? More da..."

Love this post!! Too funny . . .and I really like what you ended up selecting.

message 23: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for the tip Anita.

message 24: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Kate, I like the sound of the Bechdel one too! I wonder if it is easier for the written word to pass as a woman can be the sole craftsperson, as opposed to film and television where many hands, most of them male, make light work. Obviously books have editors, publishers etc but I feel as though they have less scope to alter books. I am of course guessing at all of this too!

message 25: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1367 comments I'm pretty sure Listopia was one of my top choices, but I don't remember, lol. I'm excited for the challenges. I hope I can participate this and get more reading in. :)

message 26: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Susie wrote: "Kate, I like the sound of the Bechdel one too! I wonder if it is easier for the written word to pass as a woman can be the sole craftsperson, as opposed to film and television where many hands, mos..."

Let's both do it! Three books the same, three books different?

I'm sure you're right about the test being easier for books - though it's not that hard for films either if truth be told (eg talking about marriage doesn't count as 'talking about a man'...). The proportion of women readers/book buyers creates a few economic incentives as well.

Have you seen Reese Witherspoon's "Glamour Woman of the Year" speech about why she set up her production company to focus on women's stories in film? Gorgeous, and funny, and so true. I've got Big Little Lies sitting on the TBR shelf ... but it's not speculative fiction so it doesn't help me with my Listopia challenge ;)

message 27: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yes, I've also been enjoying perusing the lists. So far, my personal favorite name is Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy with 672 books, none of which I've read or are on my TBR :-D I will pass, but it really made me chuckle.

I didn't see the Bechdel test one, so I'll look that one up. I think I've found the one that I want to use, but I might keep looking as I solidify some of my own personal goals this year.

message 28: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments JoLene wrote: "Yes, I've also been enjoying perusing the lists. So far, my personal favorite name is Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy with 672 books, none of which I've read or are on my TBR :-D I will pass, but it rea..."

That's hilarious!

message 29: by Joi (last edited Dec 22, 2017 01:01PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Jason wrote: "KateNZ, Thanks for mentioning the Bechdel test. I had to look it up but very interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechd..."

If anyone ends up choosing this (a Bechdel list), make sure to read a graphic novel by Bechdel herself, particularly Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic- as is about her life!

message 30: by Joi (last edited Dec 22, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

message 31: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Joi wrote: "Oh man, SOOO MANY OPTIONS for these lists!
Browsing has been pretty amusing....

SCARS ARE SEXY- Books with imperfect/disfigured/disabled heroes

2018 YA/MG Books With POC Leads

I think my frontru..."

Oh wow! Small Offbeat religion memoirs, please . . . ;)

message 32: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments Best one I've seen so far: Books I have no intention of reading :')

(Although apparently I've read 18 of them...)

message 33: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments KateNZ wrote: "Susie wrote: "Kate, I like the sound of the Bechdel one too! I wonder if it is easier for the written word to pass as a woman can be the sole craftsperson, as opposed to film and television where m..."

Kate, I'd LOVE to join you but I had promised myself that if Listopia was one of the challenges that I would choose a non-fiction list to challenge myself. I will eagerly follow along with you though and will probably end up reading what you read too!

How amazing is Reese? I have seen her speech. The Geena Davis Institute for Gender in Media is great to follow on Facebook too. I also highly recommend The Fictional Woman by Tara Moss if you're keen on the topic. Happy reading!

message 34: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Ellie wrote: "Best one I've seen so far: Books I have no intention of reading :')

(Although apparently I've read 18 of them...)"

Ha! Some of them are hilarious!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8858 comments I have read 15 of them! But to be fair if you take out the 7 Harry Potters and the Four Twilight, then I'm down to four. Let's call it 8. I'm actually quite embarrassed that I've read the whole Twilight series. At the time I tried to pass it off as a professional requirement to stay connected to adolescent culture. I don't know if my review ever made the cross from Linked In to Shelfari to Goodreads, but my review of Book Four was hillarious. I was actually moved by the end and tried to illustrate a socio-political component that I'm sure was far from the author's mind. Funny list, largely political.

message 36: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Susie wrote: "I had promised myself that if Listopia was one of the challenges that I would choose a non-fiction list to challenge myself...."

I'll follow your list and read along if I can too! (The science tag for January should be a good start, huh?)

I've just tagged the Tara Moss book as 'to read' to remind me to get it. I'd seen it at our local independent bookstore when I was Christmas shopping but ended up choosing other things.

It is ridiculous. I am longing for January 1 just so that I can start in on my reading lists. *facepalm*

message 37: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Susie wrote: "Kate, I'd LOVE to join you but I had promised myself that if Listopia was one of the challenges that I would choose a non-fiction list to challenge myself. ."

I love this idea! I still have to pick one, so maybe...

message 38: by Crumb (new)

Crumb | 159 comments I am a little unclear about the decathelon challenge.. How is where we live associated with the book we read?

message 39: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Hi Crumb, as I stated above, that was just an example to illustrate how to post reviews, but is in no way related to the game.

For the game, you need to visit the PBT Decathlon thread (in this folder, but I cannot link to it because I am on my phone) and see what the January decathlon “event” is (spoiler: it is to read something related to our retiring admin Linda, something from her shelf or something that reminds you of her).

Then, you simply choose a book and read for that event then post the review in the appropriate thread for the month you READ it.

Each month there is a new “event” and you get varying numbers of raffle entries depending on in which month you read for that event, with the most entries awarded if you read it in the month assigned (see above or the Decathlon thread for more details).

Hope that helps!

message 40: by Crumb (new)

Crumb | 159 comments Yes! That helps! Thanks, Nicole.