Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Paula W's 2018 Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula W (last edited Dec 10, 2018 10:00AM) (new)

Paula W | 552 comments B1: Written by Nobel Laureate - The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
B2: Children’s Classic - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
B3 Government Banned Book - Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV - The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally

I1: 20th Century Classic - The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
I2: New-to-You Author - If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic - Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages - The Secret History by Donna Tartt
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving

N1: North American Classic - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
N2: Classic Short Story - A Rose for Emily and Other Stories by William Faulkner
N3: FREE SPACE - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
N4: Classic Play - Hamlet by William Shakespeare
N5: African Classic - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

G1: 19th Century Classic - The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
G3: Adventure or Action Classic - The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
G4: Group Read - Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region - The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author - The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic - Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey
O4: A Classic that you have put off reading - Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
O5: Classic written by a Female Author - A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Welcome to the Bingo 2018 Challenge Paula -- hope you enjoy it for the year.

message 3: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Katy wrote: "Welcome to the Bingo 2018 Challenge Paula -- hope you enjoy it for the year."

Thanks! I really like the new categories this year. :))

message 4: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Edited to include potential reads.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Great list Paula. There are so many books that I love on here and many that I'm planning on reading this year too. There are also some great ideas for one's I hadn't heard of.

Congrats on having finished 2 already!

message 6: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Sue wrote: "Great list Paula. There are so many books that I love on here and many that I'm planning on reading this year too. There are also some great ideas for one's I hadn't heard of.

Congrats on having ..."

Thanks! Which ones have you read that you loved? I’ll try to get to those first.

message 7: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments I like the way you wove in LOTR 😊

You’ve got some great books here (of course)! I just stated Scarlet Pimpernel and am really enjoying it so far!

message 8: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Francisca wrote: "I like the way you wove in LOTR 😊

You’ve got some great books here (of course)! I just stated Scarlet Pimpernel and am really enjoying it so far!"

No joke! It took me a while to figure out where to put them. But I was for sure going to find a place.
They are really just placeholders, though. I feel quite sure with 85 books to read this year, I will have multiple options for most of these categories.

message 9: by Sue (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:37PM) (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Paula W wrote: "Sue wrote: "Great list Paula. There are so many books that I love on here and many that I'm planning on reading this year too. There are also some great ideas for one's I hadn't heard of.

Congrat..."

The Kite Runner is a favorite. I only rated it 4 stars, but I need to change that. I used to be more stingy with 5 star ratings and I'm getting over that! It's a book I look back on fondly, often. I didn't give it a full five stars because I thought the main villain was too one dimensional. It was too picayune, of me, he's not even THAT big a part of the book. The book has stayed with me as a favorite for a long time, as has the author's second book.

Then I also loved The Scarlet Pimpernel. It's fast and fun. I noticed some aren't liking it that much in the group read but I thought it was great fun.

I also loved a Rose for Emily and A Room of One's own. Both of those I rated 4 stars but really should up A Rose for Emily to 5. The group discussion made me love it even more. I ended up reading a whole book of Faulkner's short stories because of it. Like any collection, it had some I loved and some I didn't.

I haven't technically read Much Ado About Nothing, but I've seen a couple of live performances of it and a couple of movie productions and love it! I need to read it. It's so fast and fun live that I'm sure I've missed some things even with multiple viewings. The timing is a lot of what makes it great, so some of that could also be lost in reading.

OMG, I've gone on and on. Sorry!

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3797 comments This is a great list, Paula. Man and Superman! I loved that one. And Poisonwood Bible is a favorite of mine. And I loved reading Much Ado after seeing lots of performances too. It's such a fun romp. Enjoy whatever you end up with. :-)

message 11: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I haven’t read anything from this challenge in forever. Hopefully, I will be able to get back into it soon (and back into reading in general). Life has thrown me some pretty devastating curveballs over the last few months.

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3797 comments Thinking of you, Paula, and wishing you strong armor against those curveballs.

message 13: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Thank you. I am getting stronger, and will be ready to read again soon. I have missed it so much!

message 14: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 818 comments When GR needs a “like” button! Hope you feel better soon, and looking forward to seeing you back on here!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I hope you feel better soon too Paula. I've missed you around here.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Paula W wrote: "I haven’t read anything from this challenge in forever. Hopefully, I will be able to get back into it soon (and back into reading in general). Life has thrown me some pretty devastating curveballs ..."

Hoping things are better for you. Like Sue, I miss you too.

message 17: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Thanks! I miss you guys so much.

message 18: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I’m back in the game! Half down, half to go. Woooooooooo

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Paula W wrote: "I’m back in the game! Half down, half to go. Woooooooooo"

Hooray!

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Congrats Paula! I have no doubt you will complete this.

message 21: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments A few new completions, and I’m pretty sure that Oliver Twist is going to become Anna Karenina, but I’m no longer thrilled by the others I have listed as possibles. Going to do some research!!

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Downes | 11 comments Sue wrote: "Paula W wrote: "Sue wrote: "Great list Paula. There are so many books that I love on here and many that I'm planning on reading this year too. There are also some great ideas for one's I hadn't hea..."

Late to the party, but... 5 stars for me is "I loved this book and will definitely re-read!!!" Brighton Rock, The Stand, A Fine Balance, Never Let Me Go...

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Paula W wrote: "A few new completions, and I’m pretty sure that Oliver Twist is going to become Anna Karenina, but I’m no longer thrilled by the others I have listed as possibles. Going to do some research!!"

I'm pretty sure by this time of the year, many of us are ready to change up our plans.

message 24: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Definitely, thats one of the best thing about Bingo..I feel..you can fill it as you read... :)
A thousand changes....

message 25: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Katy wrote: "Paula W wrote: "A few new completions, and I’m pretty sure that Oliver Twist is going to become Anna Karenina, but I’m no longer thrilled by the others I have listed as possibles. Going to do some ..."

Oh, good! I think I found a few that will work.

message 26: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments siriusedward wrote: "Definitely, thats one of the best thing about Bingo..I feel..you can fill it as you read... :)
A thousand changes...."

A thousand???? *goes to check siriusedward’s bingo challenge page*

message 27: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I made some changes, and officially have 4.33 books to read to finish this, and I am excited about these!

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Way to go Paula.

message 29: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Katy wrote: "Way to go Paula."

Thanks! It has been a rough year for me personally, but I am determined to finish this!!

message 30: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments I have two left to finish, and they aren’t short ones. One month left to go. Somebody pump me up. Hahaaaaa

message 31: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments You can do it, Paula!

message 32: by Brina (new)

Brina Paula we can cheer each other on. I just have my book of 500 + pages left so it’s like two books. Go Paula go!

message 33: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Wooooooo!!! Go us!!

message 34: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments You have a great list of books there Paula! Some I've read, and enjoyed, others that are on my TBR that I want to read. Good luck with your last two books! The nice thing about the Bingo challenge is that you can change them out with another book.

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments You got this Paula!

message 36: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Go Paula!!

message 37: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments All done! And the final book was maybe the best I've read all year. Now time to plan for my 2019 challenge.

message 38: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Paula W wrote: "All done! And the final book was maybe the best I've read all year. Now time to plan for my 2019 challenge."

Congratulations! Have fun planning the new one!