The Sword and Laser discussion

California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
This topic is about California Bones
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #313 - No Bones To Pick

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - added it

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Ready Player One may have a sequel, The Witcher TV show has a show runner, and we have no bones to pick with California Bones.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2017/12...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/15996393
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

See you in 2018! 🎉

message 2: by Todd (new)

Todd Fillingim (tlfillingim) I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan (slept through nearly all the movies), but the audiobooks are the best I've ever heard. I recommend them to people all the time as a way to try audiobooks. Jim Dale is great reading them.

message 3: by David H. (new) - added it

David H. (farrakut) I think people were a little blasé about Disney acquiring Fox. That's leading into some serious power concentration. Disney tried to ban LA Times from access simply because of an unfavorable article. They backed down eventually, but what's to stop them from trying again? And relevant to Frankenstein, the public domain is going to be under more fire with Disney's trademark/copyright lobbying.

Also, I don't see any problem with McKellen playing Gandalf again because I never got the impression that Gandalf was ever really "young" (hard to say with him given that he's not mortal).

message 4: by Fredrik (new)

Fredrik (fredurix) | 217 comments I didn't read California Bones partly because I had other things I wanted to read and partly because this book sounded very localised. Both of you sound very enthusiastic about it for that reason (which is great), and while that isn't off-putting directly, it's also not a draw. Hence I stayed with my already endless to-read list.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Doing Nnedi Okorafor's Binti novellas as a single selection is such a fantastic idea!

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments I live close to LA and didn't really pay much attention to the locations in the book, even though I have been to several of them. I think the lack of comments is due to it being a 'meh-whatever' book.

terpkristin | 4144 comments Regarding the Harry Potter books being on the top listens for 2017, I know that both my sister and I listen to them as "background" when falling asleep or when doing things where we want something playing but don't want distraction. We've read them so many times that we don't fear missing information and don't have to worry about losing track of things in the story. For "bedtime reading" (as I go to bed each night), I listen to either the Harry Potter books or the Wheel of Time books. My sister also listens to Harry Potter when she's going to bed/falling asleep. I bet others do, too.

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8494 comments terpkristin wrote: "Regarding the Harry Potter books being on the top listens for 2017, I know that both my sister and I listen to them as "background" when falling asleep or when doing things where we want something ..."

Interesting. I sometimes use movies for that. My go-to is Gosford Park because of the reasons you stated about familiarity, but also because the sound level is pleasantly consistent throughout. No loud explosions or screams or anything of that nature.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 275 comments Trike wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Regarding the Harry Potter books being on the top listens for 2017, I know that both my sister and I listen to them as "background" when falling asleep or when doing things wher..."

My go-to for falling-asleep listens is Hardcore History. Dan Carlin just fades into the background and it's soothing. Stuff narrated by Stephen Fry is just as good, although his new Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece is too funny and I am laughing instead of falling asleep recently.

message 10: by Francis x (new)

Francis      x | 90 comments I have a thought for the March book pick if one hadn't done so; just add the french book called Beauty and the Beast is a traditional fairy tale written by French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot of Villeneuve and published in 1740 in The Young American and marine tales. known as in french - La Belle et la Bête .

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments Or we could read The Iliad/The Odyssey as all the gods are really pre-Marvel Super Heroes and totally smoke the earliest written category.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3958 comments Have you ever actually...tried to read those? Oof. I mean, I love the idea of the source material but it is a slog.

On the plus side, as you suggest it actually makes for a great comic book. LAPL has an e-version of what amounts to about a six issue miniseries of The Odyssey that read really nicely. Just looked it up; it's "The Odyssey" by Gareth Hinds. Definitely worth a borrow and could be worth a buy.

message 13: by Rick (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Rick | 2793 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Have you ever actually...tried to read those? Oof. I mean, I love the idea of the source material but it is a slog..."

I have. I liked the and found them interesting. But then my middle school library had no fantasy but did have a complete collection of Greek and Roman myths and plays so I read most of the Greek plays and other mythology and the main Roman ones.

On the plus side, as you suggest it actually makes for a great comic book.

Sigh. I like comics but they're not even close to a substitute for the beauty of the language.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Having tackled 1,500+ pages as a monthly read once before I don't think that would be a popular choice :)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments I was joking.