Children's Books discussion

Authors/ Publishers/ Promotional > Proud of my new book, but would love feedback!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Hi all,

I just published my first book, a children's picture book about a young station wagon who can't quite get along in driving school. It's called Sammy the Station Wagon. I've been working on it for a few years, and I'm very proud of it, but as I'm sure many of you have experienced, it's difficult to get a new, self-published book noticed by anyone other than your facebook friends.

Really, all I want right now is for some strangers to read my book and tell me what they think. I think it's a really good book that could entertain and inspire a lot of kids, but I'm worried about it getting lost in the abyss of self-published books. On the other hand, if it's nothing special and deserves to get lost in the abyss, then I'll be cool with that and proud of the fact that I finished my book and published it. However, I don't want to give up without at least getting some feedback from people who don't know me. My marketing skills are subpar, to say the least, so I thought I'd try a direct appeal to you guys.

The book is currently free on kindle (for a few more days): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078B6BZDP

Please please please check it out and tell me what you think. Or even better, write a review of it.

Thanks!
Tal

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments I'll take a look, Tal.

message 3: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Thanks Janelle!

message 4: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Hey Janelle. Any chance you've been able to take a look (I know it's holiday craziness right now). Would love to hear your thoughts.

message 5: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments Hi Tal, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I have read the book, and I really like it, but I haven't had a chance to write a review. I'm going to need more time. My family is still not done with our holiday celebrations, and our landlord has just informed us that he is selling our house. So things are a little busy here.
I won't leave it hanging too long, but I will need to postpone my review a little longer.

message 6: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments No worries Janelle! Whenever you get time. Sorry about the house. Enjoy the rest of your holiday celebrations!

message 7: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments Hi Tal, I've drafted my review and will post it once I'm happy with it. I just have one question for you. I would have messaged you privately, but I don't think Goodreads will let me do that as we aren't friends.
You'll recall that one of the cars teases Sammy by calling him skid marks. I'm not sure where you are from. But where I'm from, skid marks means an accident in your pants. I wasn't sure if you meant to refer to vehicular skid marks, or the potty humour alternative.

message 8: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Hi Janelle. Thanks for the upcoming review! I meant it as a reference to the skid marks Sammy makes in the road when he is nervously spinning his wheels, but I did intend for it to be a subtle reference to the other type of skid marks that kids get made fun of in real life. I apologize if that's a not-so-pleasant reference. My main goal was to draw parallels between this fictitious car world and our real world.

message 9: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments I have no issues with potty humour. I just wasn't sure on its usage in different parts of the world. If it's a common phrase then it will probably give kids a cheeky laugh.

message 10: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Good point. I think it’s common in the U.S. Not sure about outside of the U.S.

message 11: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments It's common in Australia too. So it must be a well used saying. Potty humour seems to have no borders.

message 12: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Excellent! That is very interesting.

message 13: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Thank you for the review Janelle!! So glad you liked it!

message 14: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments You're welcome Tal. I've posted my review on Amazon Australia as well. It really is a terrific book, and it is definitely worth being marketed and read. So don't give up on your dream to share it with people.

message 15: by Tal (new)

Tal Nuriel | 9 comments Awesome. Thanks Janelle! And my first review on Amazon Australia...very exciting!

message 16: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 54 comments You're very welcome. It was a pleasure to read and review your book. I hope there will be many more happy readers and good reviews in the future.