Horror Aficionados discussion

Lists & Reading Challenges > HA 2018 Mount TBR Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 267 (267 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Char (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Char  | 13898 comments Mod
We liked this so much last year that we decided to do it again!

For this one, you challenge yourself to read X number of books ALREADY ON YOUR TBR. No need to hunt down or buy expensive books, just choose the ones you already want to read and probably already own. Use the link below to enter, the challenge is open as of right now!

https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

This challenge applies to any books you like, not just the horror genre.

message 2: by Bryndís (last edited Dec 25, 2018 12:17AM) (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments Set my goal for 40! Almost half of my total year goal for 2018, so that's probably doable =)

progress:40/40
+ 6 extra

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki I Think I Am In Friend-Love With You by Yumi Sakugawa Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite De chirurg (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen Het ware verhaal van haar en mij by Delphine de Vigan Elke dag by David Levithan The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas Predikant by Camilla Läckberg He Said/She Said by Erin Kelly De vliegeraar by Khaled Hosseini Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe Zonnestorm by Åsa Larsson Deadly (Pretty Little Liars #14) by Sara Shepard The Lessons by Naomi Alderman Ons muzikale brein Wat muziek met ons doet by Daniel J. Levitin They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera 1984 by George Orwell Ida by Alison Evans Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown Stil Kroniek van een moordenaar by Thomas Raab Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline Woesten by Kris Van Steenberge The Shadow of the Torturer (The Book of the New Sun #1) by Gene Wolfe Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire Vele hemels boven de zevende by Griet Op de Beeck The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden Just Kids by Patti Smith The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor Zo God het wil by Niccolò Ammaniti Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert Make Something Up Stories You Can't Unread by Chuck Palahniuk Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas, #1) by Zoraida Córdova Promiscuities An Opinionated History of Female Desire by Naomi Wolf The North Water by Ian McGuire All That Man Is by David Szalay Monstress, Vol. 1 Awakening (Monstress, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

message 3: by Char (new)

Bryndís wrote: "Set my goal for 40! Almost half of my total year goal for 2018, so that's probably doable =)

progress: 0/40"

Bryndis, did you enter at HA's homepage and name your shelf?

I challenged myself to 40 this year. I ended up reading only 7. LOL

message 4: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments Char wrote: "Bryndís wrote: "Set my goal for 40! Almost half of my total year goal for 2018, so that's probably doable =)

Bryndis, did you enter at HA's homepage and name your shelf?

I challe..."

Sure did!

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I am going to stick with 40 books again for 2018. I barely made it this year. I thought it would be easier but I keep reading book club reads that aren’t already on my TBR. Off to make my shelf and sign up on the home page.

message 6: by Char (new)

Bryndís wrote: "Char wrote: "Bryndís wrote: "Set my goal for 40! Almost half of my total year goal for 2018, so that's probably doable =)

Bryndis, did you enter at HA's homepage and name your she..."

Nice!

Nancy, the same thing happened to me-only for me it wasn't totally just group reads. It was also NetGalley and Edelweiss. I have SUCH a hard time resisting new books.
Oh look! Shiny!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Oh, I had several NetGalley books too. I need to put myself on a book buying ban next year, ya like that’s ever going to happen. I really do borrow books from the library but buying books and owning them is more satisfying..

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. | 3 comments This is my first time participating in this challenge, but I've let myself get so overwhelmed with ARCs and contest wins, that I'm hoping having this challenge will help remind me I have books that have been just sitting there waiting for me to read, that I've been wanting to read forever :)

message 9: by Char (new)

Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V. wrote: "This is my first time participating in this challenge, but I've let myself get so overwhelmed with ARCs and contest wins, that I'm hoping having this challenge will help remind me I have books that..."

Welcome, Nikki and good luck!

message 10: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2974 comments Mod
I'm going to scan my tbr for books that have been there for a while just taunting me, daring me to read them. They are goin' down in 2018. LOL

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Apr 21, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I'm so terrible at reading books already on my TBR shelf. I'll set a modest goal of like 25, I think.

Going to limit my post to only horror books on my TBR shelves.
In the Dark of the Night Read: 1/6/18
Hidden Bodies Read: 1/12/18
The Haunting of Hill House Read: 1/17/18
Lovecraft Country Read: 1/23/18
Suicide Forest Read: 2/15/18
The Other Read 2/27/18
The Ritual read 3/16/18
All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By Read 3/27/18
His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae read 4/17/18

message 12: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 80 comments What do you mean by "Mount"?

And we can combine any genre in the reading challenge not just horror?

message 13: by Char (new)

Anna wrote: "What do you mean by "Mount"?

And we can combine any genre in the reading challenge not just horror?"

By Mount, I mean the mountain of books that most of us already have on our To Be Read lists. :)
And yes, any genre counts towards this challenge, as stated in the opening post.

message 15: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 80 comments Char wrote: "Anna wrote: "What do you mean by "Mount"?

And we can combine any genre in the reading challenge not just horror?"

By Mount, I mean the mountain of books that most of us already have on our To Be..."

Oh okay. THanks.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5848 comments Mod
Since I have literally hundreds of physical and e-books on my shelf/lists already, I'm going with 50 again.... I'm "close" to making it this year, but will miss out by 3, I expect. The problem is all those beautiful "new" releases that I simply *need* to read right away! LOL!

message 17: by Hectaizani (last edited Dec 09, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments I'm going to start with a goal of 20 which I think is probably doable since I have mumble, mumble shelves of unread books already in the house. I'd go bigger but I know how easily distracted I am and I have three library books I have to finish before I can even get started. :)

Edit: Since I decided to catalog my entire library including my Kindle on GR and discovered I currently own over a thousand unread books I’m upping my goal to 50.

Progress
51/50

message 18: by Char (new)

Kate wrote: "My goal is 100 books for next year.

0/100"

You, my friend, are BOLD!

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments I managed it this year so it's doable. The only problem is that I added more than I read to my TBR. LOL

message 20: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 21, 2017 12:23PM) (new)

Stephanie (laundry_piles) | 7 comments Once we sign up can we re-name our shelf or does it screw it up? I left out the 'HA' part haha (sorry, OCD)

And I'm starting with 25 - this will coincide with another challenge I'm doing that includes reading books you already own!

message 21: by Char (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Once we sign up can we re-name our shelf or does it screw it up? I left out the 'HA' part haha (sorry, OCD)

And I'm starting with 25 - this will coincide with another challenge I'm doing that incl..."

It's great to have you, Stephanie!

You can name your shelf whatever you like, just make sure it matches the shelf name that you entered here on the challenge.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (laundry_piles) | 7 comments Char wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Once we sign up can we re-name our shelf or does it screw it up? I left out the 'HA' part haha (sorry, OCD)

And I'm starting with 25 - this will coincide with another challenge I..."

Thank you!

message 23: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator | 92 comments I'm going to try this too, and just do 10. I have a bad habit of relentlessly adding books to my TBR and not seeing them again. Perils of being a book-ordering librarian.

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Stephanie wrote: "Once we sign up can we re-name our shelf or does it screw it up? I left out the 'HA' part haha (sorry, OCD)

And I'm starting with 25 - this will coincide with another challenge I'm doing that incl..."

I think you can edit your challenge and change the shelf.

message 25: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Innes (keiarav) | 8 comments This is exactly the kind of challenge I need for the New Year. Setting a goal to read more books I already own rather than buying new. I will still visit the library though to keep up support for my local :D

message 26: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 754 comments I will try for 48 books from my TBR shelves. I already have a plan to read at least 2 books that I own before I buy a new one. The freebies and discounted book page is going to drive me crazy, but I don't think I can stop checking it and risk missing a good deal. LOL!

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "I will try for 48 books from my TBR shelves. I already have a plan to read at least 2 books that I own before I buy a new one. The freebies and discounted book page is going to drive me crazy, but ..."

It's so much harder when you are trying--you actually realize how bad you are with getting more--LOL!!

message 28: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments Kate wrote: "I managed it this year so it's doable. The only problem is that I added more than I read to my TBR. LOL"

haha, same!! xD

message 29: by Char (new)

I challenged myself to 40 again this year. Then I moved the 33 from this year's that I haven't yet read and moved them on to my new challenge shelf. ;)

message 30: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I think I'll go with 25. I should be finished 20 by the end of this year, I'll add the twenty or so I didn't read from my shelf this year, then all the stuff I've picked up since.

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3581 comments I am doing 50 again for 2018. I already named my shelf so I will be ready to go next month. :)

message 32: by Feli (last edited Dec 28, 2018 02:59AM) (new)

Feli (felifirefly) | 502 comments This is a really great challenge! I really wanted to do more TBR in 2018, so this is just perfect for me.

1. Carrie by Stephen King (January)
2. Faust - Teil 1 by Goethe (January)
3. Strange Weather by Joe Hill (January)
4. Vermilion by Molly Tanzer (January)
5. The Tommyknockers by Stephen King (Jan/Feb)
6. The Terror by Dan Simmons (Feb/Mar)
7. The Devil Crept In by Ania Ahlborn (March)
8. Das Dschungelbuch by Rudyard Kipling (Mar)
9. The Rats by James Herbert
10. Under a Watchful Eye by Adam Neville (April)
11. Tales from a Talking Board edt. by Ross E. Lockhart (April)
12. Bird Box by Josh Malerman (April)
13. The Deep by Nick Cutter (Mai)
14. End of Watch by Stephen King (May/June)
15. Authority by Jeff VanderMeer (August)
16. Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (August)
17. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (August)
18. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (August)
19. Baal by Robert McCammon (September)
20. 1984 by George Orwell (September)
21. The Bird Eater by Ania Ahlborn (September)
22. The Fireman by Joe Hill (all of the year)
23. Bethany's Sin by Robert McCammon (December)
24. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
25. Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Progress: 25/25

message 33: by Char (new)

It's great to have you on board, Feli!

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 390 comments I managed to complete the 2017 challenge but my target was quite low at 12. I'm terrible for buying books and reading them instead of reading something I already had so I knew I'd struggle. Plus I wanted to join in on some of the group reads and that would mean I'd have to buy them and so they wouldn't count.

I've doubled it for 2018, so 24 this time. I think I'm aiming a bit high but I do have quite a few manga to read, and I have quite a few books I've bought during 2017 that I need to read, like the last few King books and Joe Hill's. So hopefully I can do it.

Good luck everyone!

message 35: by Don (new)

Don (runsforbooks) | 44 comments I'm probably over thinking this, but this challenge is about books I already want to read as of joining this challenge, even if I do or do not already own it? I'm only asking because I have a huge pile of physical TBRs here in my house (and Kindle), and I have a huge Amazon Wishlist/Goodreads TBR shelf of books I don't yet own. Both of these sources would count towards the challenge?

message 36: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments When I read the man post for the challenge it says “

“read X number of books ALREADY ON YOUR TBR....just choose the ones you already want to read and probably already own.”

So, I interpret that to mean, as long as it was already on my Goodreads TBR list in 2017 or earlier then I can count it for the challenge weather I already own the book or not.

So if you have books that you have wanted to read, just make sure you get them into your GRs To-Read shelf before 12/31. If you own it, that’s a bonus but not required.

message 37: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread | 1853 comments Nancy wrote: "When I read the man post for the challenge it says “

“read X number of books ALREADY ON YOUR TBR....just choose the ones you already want to read and probably already own.”

So, I interpret that t..."
. Thank you Nancy, I needed that info also. This really helps!!

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 390 comments For me I count the books I already own at the start date of the challenge, not the books on my Goodreads TBR shelf. I have way too many books on my physical bookshelves to read and I don't really have the time to add them all to Goodreads. But if we need to I can add a couple of dozen O guess.

So anything I buy during the year doesn't count but anything that is already in my house does.

message 39: by Bill (last edited Dec 24, 2017 08:54AM) (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments I’m going with my same goal of 50 for 2018. Should be fairly easy...since I have 1700+ on my tbr. Ouch.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I started putting books on a new exclusive shelf of TBR books that the library actually has, so i can find books easier lol. i should have been doing that a long time ago. i have almost 3000 TBR books, i've only managed to move less than 150 to my new shelf.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Bill wrote: "I’m going with my same goal of 50 for 2018. Should be fairly easy...since I have 1700+ on my tbr. Ouch."

HA! That's what I thought (same goal as yours), and still think I'll fall short a book or two this year..... Too many, "Oh, new book!" moments ;).

message 42: by Jay (last edited Jan 14, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

message 43: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments Do we need to have the books added to a Goodreads shelf before the the end of 2017 for them to count? I've never used the want to read shelf feature because I have way too many books on the physical TBR pile and it would take too much time to enter them in advance.

If so, I can pick twenty that I think I want to read, but what if I change my mind?

message 44: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2974 comments Mod
Hectaizani wrote: "Do we need to have the books added to a Goodreads shelf before the the end of 2017 for them to count? I've never used the want to read shelf feature because I have way too many books on the physica..."

Of course you can change your mind about the books you pick for the challenge. I have 30 on my challenge but I bet by the end of 2018 I'll have removed a few of them and added others. The idea here is to read some of the books that you already have and maybe just haven't gotten to but still really want to read.
And nobody will check up on what books you read for this challenge. Trust me... ;) Just have fun with it.

message 45: by Jon Recluse (last edited Feb 23, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'm down for 50

3/50

The Last Days of Jack Sparks 4 stars
Old Flames 4 stars
The Fisherman 5 stars

message 46: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani | 165 comments WendyB wrote: “Of course you can change your mind about the books you pick for the challenge. I have 30 on my challenge but I bet by the end of 2018 I'll have removed a few of them and added others. The idea here is to read some of the books that you already have and maybe just haven't gotten to but still really want to read.
And nobody will check up on what books you read for this challenge. Trust me... ;) Just have fun with it.

I figured I was overthinking it. I have an overthinking tendency. I went ahead and added the 20 books that I have sitting on my nightstand since that means that those are the ones I want to read nextish. Here’s to hoping I can manage more than 20 my TBR pile is getting way out of control.

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Hectaizani wrote: “my TBR pile is getting way out of control. ..."

You’re not the only one!

message 48: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 539 comments I had about twice as many on the shelf as I intended to read for 2017 and it worked well. I did add some later, but only if I did own the book before the year started. I actually went through the receipts folder of my email to figure out when I bought one ebook.

But it's really different for everyone. I don't really borrow from the library much, but a lot of people here do, so them going with only what they own doesn't always make much sense.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Mixofsunandcloud wrote: "I had about twice as many on the shelf as I intended to read for 2017 and it worked well. I did add some later, but only if I did own the book before the year started. I actually went through the r..."

Yeah, I rarely buy books, I dont have the space, and so that's why I made my exclusive shelf based on what I can actually access. Otherwise my list of almost 3k books seems overwhelming bc I don't know where to start. I've signed up for these TBR challenges before and never go anywhere with them so i'm hoping my new shelf actually motivates me to go out and find those books!

message 50: by Char (new)

To be clear, you don't HAVE to own the books you are listing for this challenge. They just have to be on your TBR list or pile. I'm just using the ones I own to make me feel better about buying them, and then not reading them!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6