Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Zaz's 2018 Plan - Children edition [completed]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Hi,
The picture book/middle grade edition is a fun idea, so I'm joining. I'll do 10 then see if I want to do more, then 10 again, etc. I'll use the same book if I planned a kid book for the regular AtYRC. I'll read totally out of order and time.
As most books are short and I don't want to be bothered by updating the plan too much, I'll just mark what is read and the rating when I'm finished.

AtY 2018RC, children books edition ~ 52/52 categories completed.
🐙 (read) ★ (rating) * (may change) 🐤 (library, in French)

🐙1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title: The Strange Case of Origami Yoda 🐤
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger - 4★

🐙2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list: Only You Can Save Mankind
Only You Can Save Mankind (Johnny Maxwell, #1) by Terry Pratchett - 4★

🐙 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards: The Ethan I Was Before
The Ethan I Was Before by Ali Standish - 4★

🐙4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth: De la terre au soleil(picture book, terre = Earth/ground) 🐤
De la terre au soleil by Michel Piquemal - 3★

🐙5. A book about or inspired by real events: Number the Stars 🐤
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - 3★

🐙 6. A book originally written in a language other than English: Pi, Po, Pierrot 🐤
Pi, Po, Pierrot by Chun-Liang Yeh - 4★

🐙 7. A gothic novel: The Spider and the Fly
The Spider and the Fly by Mary Botham Howitt - 4★

🐙 8. An "own voices" book: Akata Witch
Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor - 4★

🐙9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc): The Brothers Lionheart
The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren - 3★

🐙 10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published): The Gauntlet
The Gauntlet (The Gauntlet, #1) by Karuna Riazi - 2.5★

🐙11. A literary fiction: The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - 3★

🐙12. A book set in Africa or South America: Akissi (Tome 6) - Sans amis 🐤
Akissi (Tome 6) - Sans amis by Marguerite Abouet - 3★

🐙13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc): The Blackthorn Key🐤
Le mystère Blackthorn by Kevin Sands - 4.5★

🐙14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire: Firelight 🐤
Firelight (Amulet, #7) by Kazu Kibuishi - 3★

🐙 15. A book with an unique format/writing structure: Forget Me Not
Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry - 4★

🐙 16. A narrative nonfiction: An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793
An American Plague The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 by Jim Murphy - 4★

🐙 17. A book you expect to make you laugh: Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians
Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1) by Brandon Sanderson - 4★

🐙18. A book with a location in the title: City of Islands
City of Islands by Kali Wallace - 3★

🐙19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors): Greenglass House
Greenglass House (Greenglass House #1) by Kate Milford - 3★

🐙20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends: The Wolves in the Walls
The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman - 4★

🐙 21. A book written in first person perspective: The Last Kids on Earth
The Last Kids on Earth (Last Kids on Earth, #1) by Max Brallier - 3★

🐙 22. A book you have high expectations or hope for: You Go First (author of one of my 2017 fav)
You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly - 3★

🐙23. A medical or legal thriller: Fuzzy Mud
Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar - 4★

🐙 24. A book with a map: Passage to Avalon
Passage to Avalon (The Epic Adventures of the Techno Wizard)(Volume 1) by Mike Thayer - 4★

🐙 25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view: D'entre les ogres
D'entre les ogres by Gilles Baum - 4★

🐙 26. A book with a text only cover: Black and White 🐤
Black and White by David Macaulay - 3★

🐙 27. A book about surviving a hardship: Counting Thyme
Counting Thyme by Melanie Conklin - 5★

🐙28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water: The Sea of Monsters
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan - 3.5★

🐙29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title: Archibald, tome 1 : Pourfendeur de monstres (candlestick) 🐤
Pourfendeur de monstres (Archibald #1) by Kim Hyun-Min - 4★

🐙 30. A short book: Mighty Jack
Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1) by Ben Hatke - 4★

🐙 31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to: Inside Out & Back Again
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai - 4★

🐙32. An alternate history book: The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) by Joan Aiken - 5★

🐙 33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you: I'll use ET again. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: The Classic Illustrated Storybook
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial by Kim Smith - 4★

🐙34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call: A GR Top 100 Children's Books. Winnie-the-Pooh
Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1) by A.A. Milne - 4★

🐙35. A book featuring a murder: The Graveyard Book (graphic novel)🐤
The Graveyard Book (The Graveyard Book, #1-2) by P. Craig Russell - 4★

🐙36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before: The Serpent's Secret
The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta - 4.5★

🐙37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee A Newbery Award by a woman: The Girl Who Drank the Moon🐤
La fille qui avait bu la lune by Kelly Barnhill - 3★

🐙38. A science book or a science fiction book: The Green Futures of Tycho
The Green Futures of Tycho by William Sleator - 5★

🐙 39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title: La Chauve-Souris🐤
La Chauve-Souris by Elise Gravel - 5★

🐙40. A book from Amazon's 100 children Books to Read in a Lifetime list: Wonder
Wonder (Wonder, #1) by R.J. Palacio - 5★

🐙41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials: Magic Marks the Spot (Caroline Carlson)🐤
Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1) by Caroline Carlson - 4.5★

🐙42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater: The Deep
The Deep by Tom Taylor - 4★

🐙43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence: We Don't Eat Our Classmates
We Don't Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins - 5★

🐙 44. A ghost story: The Hollow Boy
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud - 5★

🐙 45. A book that intimidates/ scares you: Hiroshima No Pika
Hiroshima No Pika by Toshi Maruki - 5★

🐙 46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air: Castle in the Air
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) by Diana Wynne Jones - 4★

🐙 47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own: Pashmina
Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani - 4★

🐙 48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins: The Enormous Crocodile🐤 (greed/gluttony)
The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl - 3★

🐙 49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists blog: The Wishing Spell
The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1) by Chris Colfer - 4★

🐙50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer): Frog and Toad Are Friends🐤
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) by Arnold Lobel - 4★

🐙51. An award-winning short story or short story collection: Just So Stories 🐤
Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling - 3★

🐙52. A book published in 2018: Aru Shah and the End of Time
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi - 4★

Link to my normal plan

message 2: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I love all these picture book challenges! 😊 maybe I should try again the graphic novel one... Maybe the next time.

message 3: by Zaz (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The 1st batch will be:
- Frog and Toad Are Friends: Read Jan 1 - Review
- The Enormous Crocodile: Read Jan 1 - Review
- The Spider & the Fly: Read Jan 2 - Review
- Firelight: Read Jan 5
- The Strange Case of Origami Yoda: Read Jan 5 - Review

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 1st batch finished, with some nice discoveries. So far I'm enjoying the quick pace of this version of the challenge.

I found some new ideas for the award prompts, with books I'd like to read, so I'll narrow later. I'll work a little on my other challenges so will come back later to continue this one.

message 5: by Zaz (last edited Feb 06, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The 2nd batch will be:
- De la terre au soleil: Read Jan 16.
- The Last Kids on Earth: Read Jan 25 - Review
- Archibald, tome 1: Read Jan 30.
- Pi, Po, Pierrot (Taiwanese inspiration): Read Jan 31.
- Mighty Jack: Read Feb 5 - Review
- An American Plague: Read Feb 6 - Review

There are many books there that I'm looking forward to read, so it's a bit difficult to work on my other challenges :p

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 2nd batch done, with several 4 stars which was nice :)

I'm at 11, so time to decide if I continue... and it's a yes, I totally love the quick pace!

Same as before, I'll complete some books for my other challenges and will decide which books to read for this one later. The next batch will probably be dedicated to novels, as so far I tackled quite a good number of picture books and graphic novels.

message 7: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2475 comments Mod
I’m enjoying this challenge so much that I’m doing the middle grades on my own and letting the girls do the picture book challenge with Zoey doing whichever chapter books she chooses and we can get through ( I’ll read them a second time with her) I changed some of the categories for myself so I’m stealing Forget Me Not and I found A Tale Dark and Grimm for a book with a murder.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 579 comments Why do people keep coming up with great books and then I have to add them to my list? Man I will never finished my children's list. It already contains Tracy's and mine and now Zaz. I want to read Pippi Longstocking but having trouble getting a copy. Wonder why? Can't get Spider and the Fly at all. Oh well. great list Zaz, unfortunately.

message 9: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

I know right? There are about all of the books I want to steal off everyone’s children’s lists lol. I pre ordered Forget Me Not last year and haven’t read it yet. I didn’t realize it was written in verse and fit the prompt so it’s a good excuse to add it to my reading this year. And I couldn’t skip the murder prompt for myself so I searched, already read The Graveyard Book last year though. It was so good.i need a good murder book after suffering through Starvation Heights 😩

message 10: by Zaz (last edited Feb 06, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Tracy > good idea. Middle grade are usually fast reads, they're a nice break when you're reading more heavy or slow stuff :)
A Tale Dark and Grimm is on my TBR, so I'm looking forward to your opinion!
I didn't know Forget Me Not was in this format before searching stuff for the challenge. It was on my TBR since a moment, but I didn't find time to read it. I was actually pleased to see a TBR book fits a category.

Ann > we should blame the person who had the idea of doing a kid edition haha. At least, I read some French books not translated, so you can avoid these ones :p
It's strange for Pippi Longstocking, maybe because it's old and foreign (and also not really political correct perhaps?).
For Spider and the Fly, I recommend my plan B when I can't find the picture books: go to Youtube, search for the title + read aloud/along and try to find a version you can actually read or are ok to listen (ex for the spider: link1, link2).

message 11: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Ann wrote: "Why do people keep coming up with great books and then I have to add them to my list? Man I will never finished my children's list. It already contains Tracy's and mine and now Zaz. I want to read ..."

I have a copy of Pippi Longstocking that I'm reading this month. When I'm done I can mail it you if you email your address :-)

message 12: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Zaz wrote: "Tracy > good idea. Middle grade are usually fast reads, they're a nice break when you're reading more heavy or slow stuff :)
A Tale Dark and Grimm is on my TBR, so I'm looking forward to your opini..."

I like that I can sit down in one or two days and knock off enough of the middle grades to keep me up to date with the challenge :-)

Juvenile fiction is so much fun and I collect it, so I have almost everything here at home.

Thats a good tip about the youtube read alouds. I didn't think of that. The only book I've listened to on you tube is Go the Fuck to Sleep, which is hilarious when narrated by Samuel L Jackson, and almost as good when narrated by Jennifer Garner, lol.

message 13: by Ann (last edited Feb 06, 2018 01:06PM) (new)

Ann | 579 comments Tracy wrote: "I know right? There are about all of the books I want to steal off everyone’s children’s lists lol. I pre ordered Forget Me Not last year and haven’t read it yet. I didn’t realize it was written in..."Tracy I warned you about Starvation heights. Zaz Yup u tube is great. I couldn't find Peas on Earth and listened to a girl about 7 or so read it. Liked it a lot better. Being an OLD librarian I like still keeping up with children's books. Anyway running senior center book clubs I am tempted to give them a picture book so they stop complaining.

message 14: by Zaz (last edited Mar 08, 2018 12:03AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 3rd batch:
- Akata Witch: Read Feb 18 - Review
- ET the storybook: Read Feb 19 - Review
- Akissi 6: Read Feb 24
- The Green Futures of Tycho: Read March 2 - Review
- The Wishing Spell: Listened & finished March 7 - Review

message 15: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 3rd batch finished, I'm at 16/52.
I was pretty pleased with the 3 novels, each were ranked 4 or 5 stars.
I made some selection for #52 (2018 book), I'll pick a novel with POC lead, it should be interesting.

I've some big/difficult books scheduled for my adult challenge, so I'll continue the kid edition later to avoid being out of tracks :)

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 579 comments I just finished The Girl who Drank the Moon from your list but wasn't too impressed. It is an award winner, but... I loved The Graveyard Book and am now enjoying a Caldecott winner Kira-Kira. It will be good for #8, own voices.

message 17: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Graveyard is great! I hope I'll have a nice time with The Girl even if I don't find it outstanding :)

message 18: by Zaz (last edited Apr 22, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 4th batch:
- The Blackthorn Key: Read April 4 - Review
- Inside Out & Back Again: Read April 8 - Review
- Black and White: Read April 13 - Review
- The Secret Garden: Read April 22 - Review

message 19: by Zaz (last edited May 23, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 4th batch finished, moving to the 5th.

It should be:
- Wonder: Read April 28 - Review
- Just So Stories: Read May 4 - Review
- The Graveyard book graphic novel: Vol 1 read may3, Vol 2 read may6.
- Number the stars: Read May 7 - Review
- Passage to Avalon: Read May 13 - Review
- D'entre les ogres: : Read May 14

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann | 579 comments Have you read Because of Winn-Dixie? It was a great favorite and now we are demanding the movie.

message 21: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments No, never heard about it! It seems there's a translation, but not available at my library.

message 22: by Zaz (last edited Jun 23, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I reached half the list, yey :)

6th batch:
- The Hollow Boy: Read May 27 - Review
- Alcatraz: Read June 2 - Review
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon: Read June 3 - Review
- The Gauntlet: Read June 23- Review

message 23: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Ann > I agree with you about The Girl Who Drank, I'm not impressed either. I found the writing pretty and the world building interesting, but the story was really boring!

message 24: by Zaz (last edited Oct 08, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 7th batch:
- The Deep: Read August 25 - Review
- Greenglass House: Read Aug 27 - Review
- The Sea of Monsters: Read Sep 16 - Review
- Forget Me Not: Read Sep 16 - Review
- The Ethan I Was Before: Read Oct 1 - Review
- Aru Shah and the End of Time : Read Oct 8 - Review

message 25: by Zaz (last edited Dec 12, 2018 12:53PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Overall, a pleasant 7th batch, especially with the fiction novels :)

8th batch:
- Magic Marks the Spot: Read Oct 23 - Review
- You Go First: Read Nov 4 - Review
- The Serpent's Secret: Read Nov 11 - Review
- Hiroshima No Pika: Read Nov 11 - Review
- We Don't Eat Our Classmates: Read Nov 11 - Review
- Only You Can Save Mankind: Read Nov 15 - Review
- La chauve-souris: Read Nov 15
- Pashmina: Read Nov 16 - Review
- The Brothers Lionheart: Read Nov 19 - Review

message 26: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Oct 18, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Im a little jealous of all the fun you're having Zaz! I'm nearly done with my picture book edition but my middle grades really fell to the side. I was hoping to get my adult ATY done and spend the end of the year only reading off that list but it doesn't look like its going to happen. I still plan on reading them all, I'll carry them over into next year if I have to :-)

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'd some "read in a day" novels, so it definitely helped my progress. I'd like that for my adult edition, there are some books that take me forever to finish so it's not motivating.

I'm glad I decided to mix novels with graphic novels and picture books, without it, it would have been too much challenging as I read less this summer :)

Good luck with your reads :)

message 28: by Zaz (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments 2 books stood out during the 8th batch: Magic Marks the Spot (I already picked the 2nd at the library) and The Serpent's Secret. Usually children fiction works a little better for me than fantasy, but these two were very satisfying.

9th batch:
- Winnie-the-Pooh: Read Nov 25 - Review
- City of Islands: Read Nov 27 - Review
- Castle in the Air: Read Dec 6 - Review
- The Wolves in the Walls: Read Dec 12 - Review
- Fuzzy Mud: Read Dec 15 - Review
- Counting Thyme: Read Dec 16 - Review
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase: Read Dec 17 - Review

message 29: by Zaz (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Lucky me, I finished with two 5 stars (and a new favorite).

Best fictions:
Counting Thyme
Wonder
Honorable mentions for The Ethan I Was Before and Forget Me Not.
Counting Thyme by Melanie Conklin Wonder (Wonder, #1) by R.J. Palacio The Ethan I Was Before by Ali Standish Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry

Best fantasy novels:
The Hollow Boy
The Blackthorn Key
The Serpent's Secret
Honorable mention for Magic Marks the Spot.
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud The Blackthorn Key (The Blackthorn Key, #1) by Kevin Sands The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1) by Caroline Carlson

Best scifi novel:
The Green Futures of Tycho
The Green Futures of Tycho by William Sleator

Best classic:
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) by Joan Aiken

Best picture books:
We Don't Eat Our Classmates
La Chauve-Souris
We Don't Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins La Chauve-Souris by Elise Gravel

Best graphic novel:
Archibald, tome 1 (full series)
Pourfendeur de monstres (Archibald #1) by Kim Hyun-Min

The Epic Fail:
The Gauntlet
The Gauntlet (The Gauntlet, #1) by Karuna Riazi

The most difficult prompt to fill: A medical or legal thriller. Mysteries are well represented among kid literature but thrillers are quite difficult to find.

I didn't follow totally my initial plan, some books changed place, others were removed, depending on my side reads and the fact I lagged a little in my other challenges and didn't want to spend too much time reading big children novels when a quick interesting read was also available for a prompt.

Overall, a very satisfying way to do the challenge as I like children books, even if some prompts needed to be adjusted.