2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Sandra’s Inaugural Reading Journey

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Dec 20, 2017 10:55PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) In an effort to hold myself accountable I will track my reading progress in this space💪🏼🌟📖.

January's goal is two books, Mists of Avalon + The Accidental Apprentice (combined 1,200+ pgs). Bit ambitious for me but here's hoping🤞🏼📚

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) I like your title for your member corner Sandra! :)

I've joined the January Marathon so went a little overboard myself lol. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for both of us! :)

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) Thanks!! I'm so excited for 2018😁!! Wow, that sounds like quite a challenge, very excited for you!!! Crossing my fingers right along with you!🤞🏼

message 4: by Sandra (last edited Feb 04, 2018 08:12PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) January's Progress

The Mists of Avalon (Book Bingo, O2: religion other than my own)
Pages: 264/873
Rating:

The Accidental Apprentice (IRL Book Club)
Pages: 206/448
Rating:

The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Pages: 294/294
Rating: ★★★+

Books Read: 1/3
Pages Read: 764
Bingo Progress: 0/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 1/30

A poor start but not discouraged given that this month last year I only read in book (328 pgs.)

message 5: by Sandra (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:11PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) February/March Update

Rating:
Status: No significant progress...will skim through what I read and pick it up again next week

A Wrinkle in Time
Pages: 211/211
Rating: ★★★

When Breath Becomes Air (Book Bingo, N3: Nonfiction)
Pages: 225/225
Rating: ★★★★

Books Read: 2
Pages Read: 436
Bingo Progress: 1/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 1/30

I was disappointed with A Wrinkle in Time. The story did not always hold my interest and the theme of good vs evil and religion is somewhat heavy-handed, but I need to be cognizant of the fact that it is a children's book and I may have liked it if I'd read it as a younger reader. I saw the movie soon after and the movie also felt oversimplified and cheesy but I loved the make-up, wardrobe and scenery; I would see it again if a friend or niece/nephew wanted to see it.

I very much liked When Breathe Becomes Air. This memoir has so many nuggets to ruminate on. I borrowed it from the library but will be buying a copy because I want to go back to it and mark it. I loved the message of hope and the need to challenge ourselves and stay present in our lives, "We are never so wise as when we live in this moment." Paul Kalanithi packed a lot into just a couple hundred pages.

message 6: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Only an ok-rating for Christie’s book?

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Feb 04, 2018 08:13PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) I enjoyed it but not sure it’s a book I’d go out of my way to recommend (my rating is more of a 3.5, I think I’ll add +/- to my star ratings) or would want to re-read. I was interested in the outcome but not intrigued.
I do plan on slowly reading all the Hercule Poirot novels. Murder on the Orient Express whet my appetite, but I now picture Poirot as the actor in the movie rather than how he’s described in the book;-)

message 8: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Sandra wrote: "I enjoyed it but not sure it’s a book I’d go out of my way to recommend (my rating is more of a 3.5, I think I’ll add +/- to my star ratings) or would want to re-read. I was interested in the outcome but not intrigued.

Ah I see. Don't know if I would want to re-read it (I hardly ever do, too many other books I'm dying to read), but I did like it a lot.

I do plan on slowly reading all the Hercule Poirot novels. Murder on the Orient Express whet my appetite,

Same here. So are you joining the Hercule Poirot #1 buddy read this month?

but I now picture Poirot as the actor in the movie rather than how he’s described in the book;-) "

I know!!! I liked the show-Poirot better so trying to change the image I have in my head back to that.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) I am somewhat of a re-reader (frequently Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird) but depending on my mood will re-read my Courtney Milan and Julia Quinn romance novels to get my mind off things. I've been keen to revisit a few other classics I read when I was younger but holding off on that for the time being.

I did not know about the Hercule Poirot buddy read (and have never done one) so I'll check it out!!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) April Update

Rating:
Status: Still no progress...wondering if I should DNF it but several of my friends love it (will try to give it another shot but not sure it'll be this month)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Book Bingo, B4: Humor)
Pages: 217/217

A Shape on the Air
Pages: 220/220
Rating: ★★★+

Kindred (In Progress)
Pages 57/287

Pages Read: 494
Bingo Progress: 2/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 6/30

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a fun read, I'll probably read the other books in the series but not anytime soon. I loved the narrator, the asides within the stories and snarky commentary (and the hubs is happy I finally got around to reading it;)

A Shape on the Air was a fun, escapist read. I love time travel books and this one scratched that itch. I actually did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Oddly enough the present time story appealed more than the one set back in time (usually the other way around for me)

I've had Kindred on my TBR for a long while and so far it is delivering!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) May Update

Kindred (Completed - Book Bingo N2
Pages 230/287
Rating: ★★★★+

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Pages: 337/337
Rating: ★★★★+

The Eyre Affair (In Progress)
Pages 48/374

Pages Read: 615
Bingo Progress: 3/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 8/30

This month's reads have been my favorites of the year. I found both Kindred and The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao to be insightful and thought provoking, but perhaps because of that I felt in need of a light read [enter The Eyre Affair].

My goals for June are to complete The Eyre Affair and to read Annihilation + Scattered Poems by Jack Kerouac (all three should satisfy bingo categories with Scattered Poems doing double duty as a book club selection as well.

message 12: by Sandra (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) June Update

[book:The Eyre Affair (Completed)
Bingo N5 (Blue cover)
Pages Read: 326/374

[book:Scattered Poems (Completed)
Bingo B2 (Poem or Short Story Collection)
Pages: 88/88
Rating: ★★

Pages Read: 414
Bingo Progress (to date): 5/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 10/30

The Eyre Affair was an excellent palate cleanser after reading Oscar Wao. The plot started out a bit slow for me but it picked up after the 5th/6th chapter and I got into the literary world at the center of the book. Midway through the book I was not sure I wanted to continue with the series but by the end I wanted more:)
On the other hand Scattered Poems by Jack Kerouac was such a chore to get through...that writer is definitely not for me. I will give poetry another shot but not any time soon.

message 13: by Sandra (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Sandra Harris (sandra_chavez_harris) July Update

Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time (Completed)
Pages Read: 333/333

Annihilation (Completed)
Bingo N1 (Set in a Jungle or Forest)
Pages: 195/195

Beartown (Completed)
Pages: 432/432
Rating: ★★★★1/2

Penance (Completed)
Bingo G1 (In Translation)
Pages: 240/240

Crazy Rich Asians (Completed)
Pages: 527/527
Rating: ★★★1/2

Books Read: 5
Pages Read: 1,727
Bingo Progress (to date): 7/25>
Progress toward Yearly Challenge: 15/30

Vacationing for a few weeks provided ample time to read while on flights or buses I was woefully behind on my yearly goal (not yet on track but a bit more attainable now).

I very much enjoyed every book I read this month but Beartown was my favorite read- though the topic is heavy it did not feel like my emotions were manipulated maybe because of the way the author uses the omniscient narrator voice in telling the story and providing a multi-layered narrative. This book has a lot to unpack and I am still processing it.
My next two favorite reads were Annihilation and Penance. Penance details the same crime from the perspective of multiple characters that were present just before and just after the occurrence of the crime and we learn how the crime impacts their lives in unique ways as well as how the actions/words of the people around them.
Annihilation was a subtly creepy read. The story is told via the journal of the only surviving member of an expedition into "Area X" a sector being overtaken by jungle where weird things have happened to all but the first expedition.
Turn Right at Machu Picchu offers important context to Peru, culture, and its people.
Crazy Rich Asians reads like a Rom-Com and I was just in the right mood for it:P)