Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Challenge 2018 discussion

Y-T-D Challenge Tracker > Nick's Very Serious Reading Intentions

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) In which I will certainly read a great many serious history books about the Regency period ( the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all) and not be overwhelmed by jolly regency romances.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Feb 20, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) The list

Each book will get the usual GR star review, but I'm also giving an Austenesque score or A score rating how Austenesque the book is:

1/5: Barely anything to do with Austen, just one point of contact like similar timeframe or style or regency romances.
2/5: Same as above, but a bit closer to Austen's style.
3/5: History book about the regency era; novels written in the regency era.
4/5: Books about Austen or novels that inspired her or that she read.
5/5: Anything actually written by Jane Austen.

1. My Lady Governess by Elise Clarke My Lady Governess. My review is here. GR score: 2/5. A score: 1/5
It's set in the regency period, but otherwise has nothing to do with Austen's work, and is more of a romp than her careful character studies and acerbic wit.
2. Regency Buck (Alastair, #3) by Georgette Heyer Regency Buck. My review is here. GR score: 3/5. A score: 2/5
I know it's just a regency romance but I'm giving Heyer an extra point for being so good at research and for starting the regency romance trend.
3. Spring Flowering by Farah Mendlesohn Spring Flowering. My review is here. GR score: 3/5. A score: 2/5
It's a regency romance but it gets an extra point for being so well researched.
4. Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley Jane Austen at Home: A Biography. My Review. GR score 5/5. A score: 4/5.
I highly recommend this spirited and entertaining biography of Jane Austen.
5. Lady Susan by Jane Austen Lady Susan. My Review. GR score3/5. A score: 5/5.
A wonderful novella written by Austen early in life. It finishes abruptly, but the characters are glorious.
6. The Diary and Letters of Madame D'Arblay - Volume 1 by Fanny Burney The Diary and Letters of Madame D'Arblay - Volume 1. My Review. GR score 5/5. A score 4/5.
Fanny Burney was a big influence on Jane Austen. Burney's books were wildly popular when Austen was growing up and writing and we know from her letters that she read them.
7. The Works of Lord Byron Letters and Journals. Vol. 1 by George Gordon Byron The Works of Lord Byron: Letters and Journals. Vol. 1. My Review. GR score 4/5. A score: 3/5.
Of course, the only thing that Austen and Byron have in common is that they were alive around the same time. They were very different classes and social structures, and I can't imagine that they would've had much to say to each other if they'd met! But it's very interesting to get an idea of the time period, and for the speech patterns.
8. Georgian & Regency Houses Explained by Trevor Yorke Georgian & Regency Houses Explained. My Review. GR score: 4/5. A score: 3/5.
An excellent book about the houses of Jane Austen's period. If you want to imagine the houses she lived in, or the new-builds at Bath that she hated so much, this is the book.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Looking on the bright side,at least you've one book under you belt.....even if it wasn't a very enjoyable read😞.Onwards and upwards,Nick!

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Thanks Mary! I've got Jane Austen's letters lined up next, which I'm hoping will be very good!

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Looking forward to reading your thoughts on her letters,Nick!

message 6: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Great start to the new year with one book completed and well on your way toward reaching that reading goal.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Dammit, so much for my plan to read very serious history books about Austen and her period - that's 3 regency romances down! Oh well, I needed some light reading to recover from the festive period. I've started Jane Austen's Letters but I'm going at about a letter a day! At this rate it will take me all year!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments You know, sometimes a book grabs us, and sometimes it's the exact opposite. I used to be obsessive about finishing whatever book I start, but when I have to force myself to pick it up to continue and my mind wanders when I'm reading it, it doesn't take me long to bail anymore. Life's too short and I want to read for enjoyment!

message 9: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Debbie is right Nick... Life is too short. I suggest that you read a letter... then treat yourself to a different book... read another letter and go to another book. Back and forth like that is one option that could work. You don't get bogged down. You have a treat waiting for you between letters and you knock off several books at the same time.

Hey... we have ways to manage situations. There are several in this group... no names given... that read two or three at a time. Yep, hardcover, Kindle, audio... see... we are a very creative group. Now... aren't you glad you joined???

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Yes, very glad I joined. It seems like an excellent idea to switch back and forth - I think I'll try it. I'm absolutely full of regency romance now so I will probably have to read a horror or something to cleanse the palate. I find that I do tend to read in fits and spurts like that - 3 in a row and then none for the rest of the month!

Debbie - you're right about bailing out. Funnily enough, that's one thing that goodreads has really helped me with. I used to compulsively finish books, but since I've seen how many other people have DNF shelves bursting with books, I feel a lot better about leaving mine there!

message 11: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Nick, there are several of my friends that read horror or mystery between their JAFF stories. So you are in good company.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) For anyone who loves Jane Austen, I really can't recommend highly enough: Jane Austen at Home: A Biography.

It's a wonderful biography and such a fun read.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) How have I only just got around to reading Austen's work other than the big 6? Lady Susan was great. It finishes abruptly, but the characters are glorious. My Review is here.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Been offline due to moving house, but have still been reading. Lots of regency era stuff, which is very interesting to think about in relation to Jane Austen, but sadly not even Byron is as funny as Austen!

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments I'm curious to know what "Regency era stuff" you've been reading. If I'm understanding your post correctly, you mean stuff WRITTEN during that era, not just modern writing set in that era.

And, are congrats in order on your new digs, Nick? Different city? "Movin' on up to the East side"? Whatever the circumstances,moving is always an exhausting process. Gotta be a relief to have it behind you and be able to start the nesting process.

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) Thanks, yes I did answer your question a bit in the other thread. Yes, regency era stuff is stuff written in the regency era.

Yeah, I've moved to the midlands, still in the process of updating my address everywhere and sorting out my bills! It is exhausting!

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Yeah, I can relate. Have done it twice in the past 5 years. First time we downsized and moved from PA to SC. Second time we upsized from a condo to a house (once we got here, my husband couldn't handle being without a garage and having to share walls with neighbors), which wasn't quite as bad since we stayed in the same zip code. Still always fun dealing with the whole change-of-address hassle.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) We're in a flat now, and so far we've been very lucky with the neighbours. Everyone's very quiet (the guy to the right of us plays coldplay all night on Fridays, but I can live with that!).
I can imagine that being without a garage would be tough, if you were used to it. I only realised after we moved in that this place has no built in cupboards, and now I'm not sure what to do with the sheets! LMAO - I've always before lived somewhere that had a least one shelf in the boiler cupboard!

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dmbrown) | 1246 comments Had that problem in our condo. Went to Home Depot and bought a cabinet with shelves.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) That's the sensible answer - I'll have to get around to that!