CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > Song of Batoche

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I just got my copy of Song of Batoche by Maia Caron (who is a new member here). If you haven't gotten a copy yet, I encourage you to do so and join us in this Buddy Reads. If you're looking for inspiration, check out the reviews:

"This passionate retelling uses women's eyes to reveal the hidden history behind Riel and Gabriel Dumont. Deeply researched, and rooted in the soil of Batoche." - Marina Endicott, author of the Giller-nominated Close to Hugh

"Combining fine research and engaging storytelling, Song of Batoche is a stirring fictionalized account of events in and around the 1885 North-West Resistance. Josette Lavoie is an intriguing and memorable heroine." - Katherena Vermette, author of the The Break and winner of the Governor General's Award

"Caron weaves a tale of love, betrayal and obsession . . . a vivid and fast-paced retelling of this moment in Canadian history." - Toronto Star

"A fascinating and beautifully written account of Louis Riel and the months preceding the Battle of Batoche, as seen through the eyes of the Metis women. This is a perspective we've not seen before, and Caron handles it with compassion and depth." Lauren B. Davis, author of the Giller-nominated Our Daily Bread

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments I have this book out from the library. It's my plan to read it over Christmas. Looking forward to a great read and a great discussion!

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Megan wrote: "I have this book out from the library. It's my plan to read it over Christmas. Looking forward to a great read and a great discussion!"

That was my plan too but I couldn't wait for my library copy so I ordered the print book and started in right away. Those first few pages are so descriptive, it makes it very easy to place yourself there.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Here is a book trailer: https://youtu.be/aywdCsy06l8

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments If you're looking for more background info. on the book, check out this website: http://cadencepr.ca/releases/song-bat... and scroll down.

There is a section called: "10 FACTS ABOUT THE MÉTIS AND THE 1885 NORTH-WEST RESISTANCE", and a Q & A with the author.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Just checking in to see who is or will be reading this book? I have some questions for the author, who has graciously agreed to answer them here, but I want to wait until there are a few of us who have read the book before posting. I finished it last night and it is fantastic!!! So who's in?

message 7: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments I'm awaiting a library copy :-).

message 8: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4240 comments Mod
I will plan on reading too but also need to source a copy.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 457 comments I am waiting for a library copy as well.

message 10: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 598 comments I asked my library to order a copy so am hoping I can read this soon!

message 11: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 598 comments I saw online today that my library has placed me as the very first hold on Song of Batoche when the book arrives! I guess it pays to make a request and I feel like a winner when they are able to fulfill it!

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 783 comments Terrific news @Wanda!

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Wanda wrote: "I saw online today that my library has placed me as the very first hold on Song of Batoche when the book arrives! I guess it pays to make a request and I feel like a winner when they are able to fu..."

Excellent Wanda! I'm just waiting for people to join me over at Buddy Reads.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 234 comments I am #5 on the list of holds on overdrive. Might take a while before I get it.

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

Just got my copy from the library yesterday.... but so many holds at the same time!!!

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "Just got my copy from the library yesterday.... but so many holds at the same time!!!"

Tell me about it. I just had 5 holds released in the past 2 days. Sigh.

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments Here is an excellent blog post on how Maia wrote her book and what is involved when writing historical fiction:

http://maiacaron.org/write-dialogue-d...

message 18: by ❀ Susan (new)

Thanks for sharing @Louise - always great to know some details that go into the writing of books!

message 19: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 598 comments My library copy arrived tonight, brand new and I can't wait to get right into the story. The librarian read over the description and said "we should have ordered several copies"! I love to spread the good words of others. I look forward to chatting more about it soon.

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments Hey, just saw on Instagram that this book was in the Raven Reads subscription box. :)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2038 comments I was just coming here to post that exactly @Megan!

https://instagram.com/p/BetJF-uHbKs/

message 22: by Louise (new)

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

Great article!! This book is high in my TBR pile. i just need more time!!!

message 24: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 598 comments I also saw the article this a.m. Have just nicely started the story and this being Louis Riel Day in Manitoba, I thought it seemed like the right thing to read today. I am enjoying the writing so far, certain I will easily become immersed.

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 234 comments Awesome book! I really enjoy history so this was a fun read for me. I am not sure why Goodreads has Song of Batoche showing as Batoche, North-West Territories although maybe because Saskatchewan was not yet a province. I moved the book around to Saskatchewan for my Cross-Canada tour and book about a real event for Bingo.

message 26: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments It took almost 4 months, but I finally have my library copy! I enjoyed spending a good part of the weekend with it - almost 1/3 of the way through.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Song of Batoche (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Maia Caron (other topics)