Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments I was really horrible last year. Between my book club and new books I got from Book of the Month, I didn't clean out my already owned TBR at all. Almost all my books for other challenges have been penciled in with books I already have so let's try this again!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 1: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

This was put on my TBR in May 2017. I really loved this collection of short stories. The Husband Stitch is a retelling of the campfire story of the woman with the ribbon around her neck that shouldn't be removed. I really liked the story being told from her point of view.

My favorite story was probably Inventory. A woman chronicles the relationships she's had through her life and the places she has lived as she migrates East to try to outrun a deadly virus. Real Women Have Bodies was lovely as well. What happens when women start losing their substance and become incorporeal - turn your head just right and you can still see them...

This one is a keeper for my shelves. I hope my daughter will be interested in it one day.

message 4: by Ry (new)

Ry I've heard that one was good! I'll add it to my GR tbr!

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 2: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

I pre-ordered this and it was delivered on the release date. So many twists and turns - I love it when I cannot predict what will happen. I had to look up some fairy varieties mentioned. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 3: Spell on Wheels, Vol. 1 by Kate Leth

I picked this up last summer when I was getting a lot of graphic novels, but I didn't get to it until now. I really enjoyed this book. It was a lot of fun - I hope she writes more about these characters. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my daughter.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 4, 5, and 6: Phonogram, Vol. 1: Rue Britannia Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club and Phonogram, Vol. 3: The Immaterial Girl by Kieron Gillen

Volume 1 was a re-read so I knew what was going on with volumes 2 and 3. My husband picked these up a while ago and I read them on my graphic novel binge this weekend.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 7: Black Panther: World of Wakanda by Roxane Gay and Ta-Nehisi Coates

I picked this up in October 2017 when I went to an author event. Too bad Marvel chose not to continue this book. It was just starting to get into some really good social issues and, based on what Dr. Gay said in her event, it would have been really nice to see the direction it was going. I'll keep this because I got it signed of course!

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 8: Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins by Jeff Lemire

Another purchase from the great graphic novel buy of 2017. You will recognize all the analogs if you know anything about super heroes. There's the magic word making someone strong and able to fly, a shape shifting Martian, the strongman, the space/time traveler, and the magical being. A swamp creature also makes an appearance. I just love Jeff Lemire's work...

message 10: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Andrea wrote: "Book 2: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

I pre-ordered this and it was delivered on the release date. So many twists and turns - I love it when I cannot predict what ..."

I'm so excited to read this book. Glad you liked it! Can't wait for my copy!

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonshayshaydave) | 19 comments Good job with your reading! I didn't realize we could count graphic novels. That makes me VERY happy!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments I'm counting them because they are books I own on my TBR. Some will make the cut to be part of my permanent library, but others will find new homes. I don't count single issue comics though. Unfortunately my new Books of the Month will sidetrack me from my TBR here and there! 😉

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonshayshaydave) | 19 comments For my own personal read count I count everything I read. I figure if it's in my kindle library or on my book shelves, and I spend time reading it, whether it's 20 minutes or 10 hours, I'm counting it! Especially if I've spent money on it! :)

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 9: Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
Christmas gift in 2017. Definitely a Keeper! I loved Rolling in the Deep (which was a birthday present a few years ago) You don't have to have read Rolling in the Deep to love Into the Drowning Deep because the author does such a great job of filling you in on those events without it being all explanation. It's organic in the story.
I'm so impressed with the creative science that explains these creatures we call mermaids. The Melusine is a entertainment company/television channel ship bound for the Mariana Trench to find out what happened years ago when all hands were lost on another voyage. The first ship was filming a mockumentary about mermaids. They actually discovered mermaids, but learned they were not like Disney's Ariel.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 10: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
I really enjoyed this book, but will probably never read it again so off to Half Price it goes. I love how Liane Moriarity weaves chapters from different character's points of view together so we see different sides of the same event. Cecelia finds an envelope addressed to her to be read only in the event of her husband's death. She thinks it is funny and doesn't plan on reading it until her husband starts acting very weird about it.

The other main characters are Rachel and Tess. Rachel's daughter Janie was murdered 28 years ago. The killer was never caught. Tess has just been informed that her best friend and cousin Felicity is in lover with her husband. He wants them all to live in the same house as a happy family.

Their lives all connect to each other in ways they never knew. This books explores how one little action can affect so many others.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 11: The Heart by Maylis de Kerangal
I bought this book late last year for book club this month. The story follows the people involved from the horrible accident that leaves a 19 year old brain dead to the 51 year old woman who receives his heart in a life saving transplant.
While I enjoyed the book, I will not be holding onto it.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 12: I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star by Judy Greer
I've had this forever, but kept forgetting about it and starting something else. This was super quick and short. Judy Greer really wants to be seen as a regular gal who happens to act and not as a movie star. She is very down to earth and we could definitely be friends.
Like me, she believes everyone should be required to work a year in food service (I would add retail) so they understand what the job entails. She said it would make people tip better if nothing else.
It was a fun book, but I never need to read it again.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 13: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
This was a Book of the Month choice from last year. Eleanor has no social skills and really no familiarity with things like popular music, TV shows that aren't BBC documentaries, or how to behave in a bar or restaurant. You learn why little by little as you learn more about her upbringing.
I know there are a lot of reviews from people who could not stick with it because Eleanor drove them crazy, but the reward is so great if you do. I loved her by the end and had so much hope for her future. I will keep this book in my library because I will want to visit Eleanor again.

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 14: Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
Eh. This was fine, but not spectacular. I was amused, but not one I ever need to revisit. Definitely going in the Half Price resell pile.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 15: Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
I really enjoyed this story. I bought this after watching A Man Called Ove, but never got around to reading it. Like Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, this book shows that someone who appears not so nice and abrasive may actually have reasons for behaving as they do and giving a chance might redeem themselves. This was a lot of fun and I'm so happy I finally got around to reading it, but I will pass it along to someone else who would enjoy it.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 16: Becoming the Villainess
Poetry isn't usually my thing anymore, but I picked this up last year because I loved the cover and the subject of the poems intrigued me. I liked some of the poems more than others, but none of them struck a chord strong enough that I need to retain this book. HPB pile. (I read this on April 20th and am just getting to adding it to this list)

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 17: Where'd You Go, Bernadette
I loved this book! I am finding that I really prefer characters other people deem as "unlikeable." Some of Bernadette's feelings about other parents at her daughter's private school are so close to feelings I had when my kids went to a private Montessori school a million years ago. I wish I had thought to call them gnats! I don't agree with Bernadette's views on Canadians however.
I'm looking forward to the movie and will keep this book because, even though I know how it turns out, I won't mind revisiting Bernadette, her daughter Bee, and wacky neighbor Audrey again.
(I finished this on May 31st.)

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 18: The Goldfinch
What took me so long? I read The Secret History when it first came out because the bookstore I worked in received an ARC. I still have it. That said, this being a huge book, over 700 pages, it also took a little while. I can see how this wouldn't be for everyone, but I loved it. I yelled at the main character a lot though because he did one stupid thing after another. I'll be keeping a copy of this. one. (Finished July 13, 2018)

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 19: Queen Lucia
A funny comedy of manners, but considering it is in the public domain, I don't need my own copy. (July 18th)

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 20: The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
This has been on my list a long time because I worked with the son of the main boy in this book. I suggested it for book club to make sure I got to it. I really enjoyed it, but doubt I will re-read it at any point. (July 21st)

message 26: by Andrea (last edited Sep 24, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 21: Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil
Meh. I really enjoyed the look at the lives of women in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, but was distracted by the controversy that developed after this book was published. The author came under fire for possibly endangering the lives of the women she wrote about and the allegations that she inflated her role and may have been taking a profit from the school. I was also frustrated by her wanting Afghanistan and the people to bend to her way of life. She complains that Christmas was just like any other Winter day in Kabul. Well, it is just another Winter day in a Muslim country. She becomes the 2nd wife but gets upset when his first wife (living in Saudi Arabia) gets pregnant and may deliver in the same month as her birthday and anniversary. huh. Did you not expect him to sleep with his first wife?
I won't be keeping my copy. (Aug 16th)

message 27: by Andrea (last edited Sep 24, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 22: Thursday Night Widows
I was interested enough to finish this story about the "Have" and the issues they face in the Argentinian financial collapse of the 90's-00's, but I'm not going to rush out and tell anyone else to read it. This also fulfilled my book in translation/translated by a woman for the Reading Women Challenge. Already took it to Half Price for monies for new books... (Aug 27th)

message 28: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 23: American Housewife
I got this last year in a Book Riot subscription box. I really enjoyed the short stories and loved how some of them interconnected. I really enjoyed this, will be keeping my copy, and am willing to lend it to friends who need a chuckle. (Sept. 21st)

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 24: The Virgin Suicides
Someone gave me this a few years ago when they were cleaning out their books. Finally read it and all I can say is meh. Already on the stack to go to HPB. Loved the premise, and some of the writing was beautiful, but it just fell flat for me. Unpopular opinion, I know. (Oct. 13th)

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 25: We Have Always Lived in the Castle
I've read this before, but my book club read it for October and I read it again. I love this story and will definitely keep my copy for rereading later. I discovered so much more this time around. (Oct. 24th)

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 26: Bird Box
I've had this on my Kindle for 2 years and finally got to it before the Netflix movie airs. If it were a physical book, I would sell it to Half Price. Interesting and entertaining, but I seriously doubt I will ever reread it. (Dec. 2nd)

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Wahle | 27 comments Book 27: Warcross
Another one that's been on my Kindle way too long. And another one that I would sell back if it was a physical book. (Dec. 4th)