UAPL Adult Services discussion

Recommended Reading > Disasters on Ice

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments With only a little bit of snow predicted for Christmas eve here are some books to appreciate the warmer weather! Let us know how you enjoy them in the comments.

Ada Blackjack A True Story of Survival in the Arctic by Jennifer Niven Buried in the Sky The Extraordinary Story of the Sherpa Climbers on K2's Deadliest Day by Peter Zuckerman Fatal Passage The Story of John Rae, the Arctic Hero Time Forgot by Ken McGoogan Frozen in Time An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff Ice Ghosts The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition by Paul Watson In the Kingdom of Ice The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer The White Cascade The Great Northern Railway Disaster and America's Deadliest Avalanche by Gary Krist

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2017 04:30PM) (new)

That's a great list, Abby! I've also heard really great things about Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.

Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

message 3: by Abby (last edited Dec 20, 2017 04:31PM) (new)

Abby | 84 comments Nichole wrote: "That's a great list, Abby! I've also heard really great things about Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing.

Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing"

I can't believe I left out Shackleton! Thanks for the great recommendation!

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Potter | 44 comments Mod
Great idea, Abby. I love this idea and this topic. When looking back at my booklist that I have read - Ice and polar exploration seem to be well represented. It must be why hockey is in my blood. Related to that this is a really good: Chill Factor: How a Minor-League Hockey Team Changed a City Forever

message 5: by Hari (new)

Hari Brrr, Abby. There's a great novel by Andrew Gross, The Saboteur, that's based on a World War II mission by the Allies to sabotage a Nazi heavy water production plant in an inhospitable part of Norway during the dead of winter. Talk about resourcefulness and courage in the face of overwhelming odds! This was an edge-of-your-seat read.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments Hari wrote: "Brrr, Abby. There's a great novel by Andrew Gross, The Saboteur, that's based on a World War II mission by the Allies to sabotage a Nazi heavy water production plant in an inhospitable part of Norw..."

That sounds fascinating! I found a non-fiction account about the same mission that I want to add to my reading list too. It's The Winter Fortress by Neal Bascomb
The Winter Fortress The Epic Mission to Sabotage Hitler’s Atomic Bomb by Neal Bascomb The Saboteur by Andrew Gross

message 7: by Scott (new)

Abby and I talked about the book The Winter Fortress. I am big fan of the author (his Hunting Eichmann was excellent). On the waitlist on Overdrive for The Winter Fortress

message 8: by Scott (new)

I know have the Winter Fortress but I want to wait to read it. I am finishing up The Girl Who Played with Fire. Love that book. Almost done with it.

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby | 84 comments I am reading Winter Fortress right now and it's fascinating. I've read a lot of WWII books but this is my first that really discusses the Norwegian resistance. It's been a page turner so far

message 10: by Scott (new)

Abby wrote: "I am reading Winter Fortress right now and it's fascinating. I've read a lot of WWII books but this is my first that really discusses the Norwegian resistance. It's been a page turner so far"

We talked about this book Abby - Good to hear that you are liking it. I am definitely going to put it on my "to- read" list. Sounds like an angle that is not often discussed.

message 11: by Hari (new)

Hari Abby wrote: "I am reading Winter Fortress right now and it's fascinating. I've read a lot of WWII books but this is my first that really discusses the Norwegian resistance. It's been a page turner so far"

I know what you mean. I'm so thankful for authors who shine a light on events we'd probably never know about if not for their books. For example, without Erik Larson's "Dead Wake," I would never have known all the things that had to happen just the way they did to cause the Lusitania to be sunk.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 45 comments I just read Bound by Ice, which explores the failed 1879 expedition to the Arctic where they hoped to find a route to the North Pole. Most of the time the ship was stuck in the ice. These men had a lot working against them such as inaccurate maps and poisoned canned tomatoes, along with the bitter cold and ice.

Bound by Ice A True North Pole Survival Story by Sandra Neil Wallace

There is also a new book coming out called The Stowaway: A Young Man's Extraordinary Adventure to Antarctica by Laurie Gwen Shapiro. It's about a teenager who stowed away on a ship to Antarctica.

The Stowaway A Young Man’s Extraordinary Adventure to Antarctica by Laurie Gwen Shapiro

message 13: by Hari (new)

Hari Hokey smokes, Kelly! Where would we be without our intrepid explorers? Both books sound fascinating. I think I'll wait until summer to read them...

message 14: by Abby (last edited Jan 16, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Abby | 84 comments Kelly wrote: "I just read Bound by Ice, which explores the failed 1879 expedition to the Arctic where they hoped to find a route to the North Pole. Most of the time the ship was stuck in the ice. These men had a..."

I haven't read Bound by Ice but Hampton Side's In the Kingdom of Ice which also tells the story of De Long's ill fated voyage was fascinating.

message 15: by Scott (last edited Jan 18, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

It seems like a lot of these Arctic explorations are similar. In Ice Ghost (which is a great book) talks of not finding passages and getting stuck in the ice caps. I have a read many of the "frozen polar exploration" books and really have enjoyed most of them. Even Dan Simmons' fiction book "The Terror" was an excellent read.