Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

ARCHIVES > The Best Book I read in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER was...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Dec 20, 2017 03:21PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1355 comments Mod
Since I'm late with this monthly post as well, and it's holiday season, I thought I'd combine your thoughts on the best MG reads you had for both November and December.

I read Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book at the end of November, and it was our BOTM so I've commented there. I think I must have been exhausted because although I started another book, I've not finished one since. Apart from proof-reading my own and beta-reading somebody else's, that is :)

message 2: by C.J. (last edited Dec 21, 2017 08:29AM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 127 comments Mod
In both November and December, I indulged my love for mysteries, with my personal favorite betraying a fondness for all things Sherlockian. Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes books are smart little mysteries involving Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes' much younger sister. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the third book by mail so I can continue with this six-book set. Book 1 is The Case of the Missing Marquess

The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes, #1) by Nancy Springer

Other Nov/Dec notables in the MG mystery genre:

The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud Greenglass House (Greenglass House, #1) by Kate Milford Jackaby (Jackaby, #1) by William Ritter Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2) by William Ritter Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1) by Deron R. Hicks

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 304 comments I made a few journeys into London the last two months so managed quite a few books. I simply had to read Jigsaw of Fire and Stars because of its beautiful cover. About a girl found in a Moses-like manner, and her story of where she came from.
The other two books I'd recommend are :
(1) Fantasy School of Good and Evil about two girls being kidnapped, one to go to the School of Good, and the other in the School of Evil. It's one of those derivatisation of Fairy Tale books. It was a slow start, but got better after about a quarter way in. I am almost tempted to read the rest of the series.
(2) Historical fiction The Clockwork Three It felt like it was set in Charles Dickens time, Oliver Twist-like, except it was about street busters. When I got to the end, I discovered it was inspired from a real story in New York City.

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody Bremen (melodyjbremen) | 66 comments I read Sidetracked which was really sweet and charming.
I also read Wolf Hollow, which has beautiful writing and characterization. It ended up being heavier than I expected. I almost feel that it would be appreciated more by adults than by children.

message 5: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 84 comments November: Pennyroyal Academy by M. A Larson

December: Seven Wild Sisters by Charles De Lint (companion to The Cats of Tanglewood Forest)

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily Freeman | 13 comments Ms. Bixby’s Last Day was the best book I read in November. Realistic fiction. I’d love to hear others’ opinions of it!

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 3 comments The Missing Boys, by G Richard Hoard. It was a page-turner! It had my heart beating, reading it late at night. I could picture the events, having grown up in the 60s and also moved to a small town in the south.

message 8: by M.J. (last edited Dec 26, 2017 07:21AM) (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments My favourite book in November was Ticket to Curlew. A quiet book but one that really pulled me into the time and setting as all the best historical fiction should. December's best book was Because of Winn-Dixie.

Leviathan Libraries (leviathanlibraries) My favorite MG book in November/December actually won my site's Best Kids Book for the entire year. It was amazing.

The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky
The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
I had to go look up what I read in the last 2 months.

For November, I'll pick One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia and The Graveyard Book, which I'm still not 100% sure about but which was unquestionably attention-getting.

For December, my last-day-of-the-year read of our BOTM, When Santa Fell to Earth. My records show that most of my Dec. reads were re-reads of old favorites with limited literary value :)

message 11: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1355 comments Mod
Rebecca wrote: "My records show that most of my Dec. reads were re-reads of old favorites with limited literary value :) "

lol!

message 12: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments Best book I read in Nov/Dec was Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage. Re-read actually ~ first read back in 2014 and it was just as good the second time around.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

M.J. wrote: "Best book I read in Nov/Dec was Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage. Re-read actually ~ first read back in 2014 and it was just as good the second time around."

Yes! I was thinking of a re-read, just because I've gotten a bit fuzzy on some of the story. Maybe I'll wait until #4 is out and re-read them all together.

message 14: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments Rebecca wrote: "Yes! I was thinking of a re-read..."

Go for it! I've still got #3 to read but looking forward to #4 and finishing up the series... and hopefully finally learning all the secrets of "upstream mother".

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

M.J. wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Yes! I was thinking of a re-read..."

Go for it! I've still got #3 to read but looking forward to #4 and finishing up the series... and hopefully finally learning all the secrets of..."

I'm kind of thinking I'd rather the "upstream mother" doesn't make an appearance, because it seems to unlikely. Though Turnage might pull it off.

message 16: by M.J. (new)

M.J. (mjmarston) | 47 comments Rebecca wrote: "I'm kind of thinking I'd rather the "upstream mother" doesn't make an appearance..."

Might be better that way, we'll have to wait and see :-)