Mount TBR 2017 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Carol's 2nd Year, Mountain 2!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove - I liked this one, but not as much as others who absolutely loved it.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) by Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Sorry, this is my cousin's favorite book. I love Monty Python so I thought I would like this. I just thought it was stupid.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
Everything I Never Told You - well another one that people raved to me about. I just thought it was "okay." Everyone is raving about her next book. Not sure I'm willing to give her another chance. I listened to this one. The narrator was good; it just didn't grab me.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
The Price of Salt - So....I had just finished reading "Strangers on a Train" so I thought I'd pick this up. Her writing is very cold. It worked for the strangers book but made it hard to believe the loving, warm relationship between the women in The Price of Salt. It did make it easy for me to feel like it was the fifties though - when people weren't very open with their feelings - so maybe that was done on purpose.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens The Life We Bury - I certainly did enjoy this one. I listened to this one as well. It was very good and I enjoyed the plot twists. I wasn't expecting the ending. The writer did a good job making the reader feel the angst of the narrator.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
The Power and the Glory - well.....I had no idea what this was going to be about. I'm glad I read the Sparks notes afterwards. My book club didn't understand why this is considered a classic. I can see why. It definitely captures a time period, culture and the betrayal of the government and church to its people. Being Catholic helped me to understand it better than others. The priest frustrated everyone but again, that is one of the points. I was glad I read it.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French
The Likeness
I liked this okay. I'm not a big mystery fan but I like Tana French.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 22 comments I doubt I'll be reading any other books for this list. So I'll see you next year!