History is Not Boring discussion

Historical Person Game

Comments Showing 1-50 of 363 (363 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Timothy Leary - activist & one of the symbols of 1960's. Helped get LSD outlawed.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Such fun games you think of Marco!

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Yma Sumac-"Inca Princess" Exotica singer known for extreme vocal range, well over 4 octives. born 1922, died 2008.

message 4: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Finding historic people who's name starts with "Y" is not easy

message 5: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Cynewulf- King Of Wessex, late 8th cent, didn't get on too well with Offa.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sorry, Manuel. It was late & I wasn't thinking well, I guess.

message 7: by Magl (new)

Magl | 4 comments Ferdinand I of Portugal, The Handsome - Portuguese King from 1367 to 1383. His death ended the Burgundian line and led to a period of war known as the 1383-1385 Crisis.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments Frank Loyd Wright - building desinger

message 9: by Magl (new)

Magl | 4 comments Teofilo Braga - 2nd President of Portugal, important portuguese politician and writer.

message 10: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Aug 11, 2009 06:37AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa Aethelstan/Athelstan- Grandson of, and arguably greater than, Alfred The Great of England.

message 11: by Magl (new)

Magl | 4 comments Nat "King" Cole - American musician, the first black American to host a television variety show.

message 12: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Eric Bloodaxe- Viking King of York/Northumbria (twice), 10th century...I should look a bit more recently, I seem to be stuck in the Dark Ages again.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Nelly Bly - Famous lady of the early 20th century for faking insanity & writing an expose of mental institutions.

(oops! Another 'Y'. )

message 14: by James (new)

James Nevius | 157 comments Yusef Islam - the singer formerly known as Cat Stevens.

message 15: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Aug 11, 2009 11:09AM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa Máel Coluim mac Donnchada - Aka Malcolm III of Scotland, aka Malcolm Canmore. Defeated Macbeth at Dunsinane in 1054, killed him at Lumphanan in 1057.

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments Rudolph Valentino, silent film star and sheik

message 17: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Oliver Cromwell - tyrant, regicide, and oppressive genocidal maniac...or republican good guy, pick a side.

message 18: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Marco wrote: "I did a whole essay about him in school as to whether he's a good guy or bad guy... I can't remember what I chose but I think I chose good because his means to an end was justified by the end or so..."

My view is tainted by living in Connaught.

message 19: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Ishi-1860-1916. The last surviving member of the Yana people of Northern California. His entire family had been slaughtered by white settlers. Captured by anthropologists in 1911, it was discovered he had never been assimilated by Euro/American culture, having lived away from settlers most of his life. Subject of a heartbreaking film starring Graham Green as Ishi.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Indiana Jones - recovered the Lost Ark & saved us from Germans.

OK, just kidding.

Irene Ryan - went from Vaudeville to TV, played Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.

message 21: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments Nathan Hale - failed spy in the american revoluntion

message 22: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Eugene Delacroix-19th century influential French Painter. Romanic emotional style precursor to the Impressionist movement.

message 23: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Xerxes - Persian chap, bumped into some Spartan ruffians at Thermopylae.

message 24: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Marco wrote: "Leonardo da Vinci - the guy who painted Mona Lisa"

Great description of old Leo.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sam Raimi - director & writer, as well as actor & producer. Best known for his wonderful "Evil Dead" trilogy. The first is possibly the best horror flick out there done with such a low budget. The last two are what made Bruce Campbell into an icon.

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments isadora duncan - dancer

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments Ogden Nash - poet of light verse

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Hannibal - enemy of Rome

message 29: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Lucrezia Borgia-Party Girl of Rome

message 30: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1010 comments Mod
Laurence Olivier - Oscar-winning actor and director.

message 31: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (Pharmacovigilant) | 6 comments Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794) - Member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, 1st Continental Congress, 2nd Continental Congress, and US Senate; Uncle of Light Horse Harry Lee of US Revolutionary War fame, and great uncle to General Robert E. Lee of US Civil War fame.
Famous Quote: "The first maxim of a man who loves liberty, should be never to grant to rulers an atom of power that is not most clearly and indispensably necessary for the safety and well being of society."

message 32: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Isaac Newton - brilliant physicist and father of calculus.

message 33: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Nicholas Romonov-Last Czar of Russia. Assassinated with his entire family 1918

message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven | 21 comments Victor Davis - champion swimmer

message 35: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Sixtus I-Roman Catholic Pope from 115-125. Feast Day August 10. Also considered a saint in the Greek Orthodox Church.

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sam Snead - one of the greatest golfers of all time.

message 37: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Dorothy L. Sayers - mystery novelist of the "golden age," and creator of Lord Peter Wimsey.

message 38: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Somhairle MacGill-Eain - Greatest Scots Gaelic poet of 20th cent.

message 39: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 1 comments nancy pelosi, current u.s. speaker of the house

message 40: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Indira Gandhi-Assassinated Prime Minister of India, daughter India's first Prime Minister Nehru.

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Idi Amin Dada - what not to grow up to be, dictator of Uganda in the 70's.

message 42: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Abraham Lincoln - 16th President of the United States.

message 43: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Napoleon III-Wannabe version of his famous uncle. Lost his throne in a humiliating defeat to Prussia.

message 44: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Yekaterina Gordeeva - magnificent Russian pairs skater, and two-time Olympic champion.

(Yes, it's an alternate spelling, but I was stuck with a Y!)

message 45: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Anacletus-3rd Roman Catholic Pope from 76-88 AD.

message 46: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Nichelle Nichols-Played Lt Uhura in the original TV series Star Trek 1966-1969. She and William Shatner shared one of the most famous kisses in history.

message 47: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa Stephen Hawkins - star of Simpsons and Star Trek (Next Gen)...and some kind of science guy.

message 48: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Crazy Cat Lady (new)

Marco wrote: "Siegfried Sassoon - World War One soldier, poet

Susanna, I beat you to it ;)"

Don't try to out war-poet ME, boyo!

Snort!

message 49: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments I think Barbarossa made a spelling typo-
but Marco is correct it should be Stephen Hawking.

message 50: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 1439 comments Gene Roddenberry-Writer/Producer/Police Officer/WWII pilot. Best known for writing and producing some of the most popular TV sci-fi shows..Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8