Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Maria V Snyder

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Has anyone read anything by Maria V Snyder? I hadn't ever heard of her until I saw some info on Rachel Vincent's blog about her. Just wondering what her books are like.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only read Poison Study so far. It was really good. I'm planning on reading the rest of the study series shortly, hopfully this month.

message 3: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments So Kyle just mentioned this series in another topic I think in this group.... but I"m sure once he sees this he'll chime in ;)

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Thanks! I'll have to look around and see if I can find his comment.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Basically, he said he loves them. :D

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I really liked Poison Study. I bought the rest of the series, but haven't had the time to read them yet.

I thought it was sort of like Graceling or Hunger Games, if you've read either of those. Girl convicted of a crime is given reprieve to be the official food taster of a high-ranking military official. People want to kill her and him. Chaos ensues. Really good read, though, with some light romantic bent at the end.

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments LOVED The Hunger Games, so it sounds like I'll really enjoy it! I haven't read Graceling yet, but I do have it on my to-be-read list.

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ok, I have no will power when it comes to books. I just ran over to Barnes and Noble and picked up Poison Study. I have a feeling that it's a good thing I don't work either tonight or tomorrow because I will probably be reading all night!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I think you'll enjoy it, so it's a good purchase! Will power... who needs it, really? :)

message 10: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) you'll be running out to get magic study and fire study once you finish it :D

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Heres my post about snyder:

I think Snyder deserves her own folder.

If you haven't read her Study Series, you gotta its awesome :D

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

She also has some short stories on her website that go along with Study Series.

Assassin Study (Study Novella) by Maria V. Snyder Power Study

She also has the Glass series that is really good as well :D

Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder

Also, I just found out from her blog that early next year she has another book/series starting called, Inside Out. A futuristic story. I can't wait :D

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Give Snyder a try, I promise you will NOT be disappointed.

message 12: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 14 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Has anyone read anything by Maria V Snyder? I hadn't ever heard of her until I saw some info on Rachel Vincent's blog about her. Just wondering what her books are like. "

I liked the study trilogy. I just finished the first book in the glass trilogy and didn't like it as much but I still intend to read the next book.

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ok, I really should have just gotten the whole trilogy. I just spent the last 8 hours glued to that book! LOVED it!

message 14: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Kelley Anne wrote: "Ok, I really should have just gotten the whole trilogy. I just spent the last 8 hours glued to that book! LOVED it!"

:D told ya :P

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yeah I know! I should have listened to you!

message 16: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo I stopped at the used bookstore today and was thrilled to find Poison Study for $2 - woo hoo! I hope to start reading it next week.

Thanks for the heads up on this author/series Kyle!

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Looloo wrote: "I stopped at the used bookstore today and was thrilled to find Poison Study for $2 - woo hoo! I hope to start reading it next week.

Thanks for the heads up on this author/series Kyle!"

*jaw drops*
That is lucky! I have been meaning to get the study series for a while now, but I have like 3 books sitting on my shelf [2 library:] that are waiting for me to read!

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have two of her books on my list to read.. I Just haven't gotten to it yet

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just finished the second book and am looking forward to the 3rd! I'm really enjoying her Study series

message 20: by K (new)

K | 51 comments I loved the study series! I haven't gotten the first glass book yet but it is on my list.

message 21: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I wish she woulld write more books about yelena! She is so awesome. And being a liaison totally makes for a great story line :D

message 22: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I don't think that'll happen, so I hope that Yelena comes into the other series. I really like her!

message 23: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Well I've been emailing her and she said that somewhere down the road she will write another STUDY novel.

She just wants to focus on the glass series right now.

lol I communicate with my authors :P I've been emailing The Warden (J.R. Ward) for about 2 weeks now :P She's too awesome.

message 24: by K (new)

K | 51 comments Kyle wrote: "Well I've been emailing her and she said that somewhere down the road she will write another STUDY novel. "

Really!!! that is great! I would love more of that story line.

message 25: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 5 comments I just LOVED the Study series! I'm so sad that there's only three(so far). Yelena is so awesome! It's too bad about her hair. I wouldn't wanna go out in public after that, I'm very vain.
Does anyone know if there'll be a fourth book in the Study series?
Ps. If you haven't read the Study series get to it! It's so worth it!

message 26: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I haven't read the Glass series yet, but I think that they are supposed to be in the same world and some of the same characters as the Study series.

And I agree, the Study series is great!

message 27: by Cassy (new)

Cassy Kennedy | 4 comments I personally loved the Glass series as well as the Study series. If you check out her page on this site, you'll see there's a mini story about Yelena and her mate. It's online...i think. And yes, both series take place in the same world.

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebecca32) I am loving the the Study Series. I was unsure if I was going to like them, but the reviews were great, so I downloaded them, and I am so glad.

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:44PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I've read Poison Study and Magic Study so far and just picked up Fire Study today from the library. I like how strong and caring Yelana is after all she had happen to her. I also love Valek and how the two interact. I agree that this series definitely competes with the Hunger Games series and Graceling saga. I can't wait until Mockingjay and Bitterblue come out. I'm sure The Study series will make it into my top ten favorites for this year.