Books on the Nightstand discussion

Need a few people to test our mobile site on their phones/iphone/blackberry

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Want to help us out? Someone asked us for an iphone app, which we'd love to do -- but it would cost $10,000, which we would rather spend on books and bookcases ;)

But we are developing a mobile site. I think the main appeal is for those of you who want to refer back to books we've talked about .. if you have an internet-enabled cellphone, you should be able to easily get to our page.

Point your phone/iphone/blackberry etc. to http://m.booksonthenightstand.com

What do you think? Does it work? We know of a bug or two, but I won't mention it because I want to see what you are all reporting.

If you have an iphone, you can tap the + button when you're on our page, and add the site to your home screen. From then on, it will be just like an iphone app -- but cheaper!

Would love to hear your thoughts before we go "live".

Thanks!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Done! I went to the mobile web-site and added it to my homepage.

The only "off" thing I see so far is that, in the blog section, the images to the left of each entry, crop out your "signatures." For instance, the ones that should say "by Ann" actually say "by..." and Michael's signature is reduced to "MICH."

I touched the link that said "Call our voicemail line" thinking it would lead me to contact info, but it re-routed me to the cell phone and started dialing your number (so if your voice mail picked up a "hang up," that was me!)

Very cool! I had been using one of the web-browsers to go to your page in the past and then turning my screen to the horizontal position to read... but this is much easier!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

BTW, I own a first generation iPhone...

message 4: by Ann (new)

Thanks, Tonya. That image thing is something I just can't figure out how to avoid unless we remove the signature image, which we don't really want to do since most of our readers do read on an actual computer. Do you think it would be terrible if we didn't fix that?

Your experience is really helpful -- I will reword it to say "autodial our voicemail line" or something. I don't want people to be surprised.

Thanks!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

No, it wouldn't be terrible if you didn't fix the signature images! All your regulars will know in a split second what it is!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Alexandra wrote: "I tried the link on my Iphone (it's the latest version) and the pictures are coming up as question marks, not sure why. I usually read your blog in NewsGator on the Iphone which makes it the perfec..."

Thanks, Alexandra. Was it all the pictures, or just some of them? In the post titled "Win a Copy of the Girl Who Played With Fire" (4th in the list, I think), I see one book cover, but one of the other images. I wonder if it's a size thing. Hmmm. Thanks.

message 7: by Danelle (new)

Danelle (aladynamedd) | 33 comments from my phone which isn't an iphone it's a rant so everything is smaller :) Everything works fine. I'm glad you made the mobile site!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Alexa, thank you. I'm beginning to think that the adage "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good," might apply here. I may just have to deal with the occasional question mark in place of a photo.

Danelle, I so appreciate you telling me how it looks on a regular phone. I was wondering. I hope it will be useful for you.

Thanks to you both.