Roger Zelazny discussion

Group Reads > October 2009 - Group Read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I'm going to nominate A Night in the Lonesome October for the October group read. Anyone else in favor?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Jim wrote: "I'm going to nominate A Night in the Lonesome October for the October group read. Anyone else in favor?"

Sure!

message 3: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments I want to nominate Jack of Shadows.

I have only read two Zelazny novels and want to sample more of his better,in his prime books.

message 4: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 22 comments I think A Night in the Lonesome October would be perfect! I think Zelazny wrote the book just for this group to read in October :).

message 5: by Dan, Jack of Shadows (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 55 comments Since A Night in the Lonesome October has 31 chapters, it might be fun to read a chapter a day in addition to other reading activity.

message 6: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's an interesting thought, Dan. Do you think you could limit yourself? I'm not sure I could. I'm willing to try, if anyone else is interested.

message 7: by Greyweather (last edited Aug 27, 2009 03:59PM) (new)

Greyweather | 63 comments While I know I couldn't limit myself to reading one chapter a day, I'd have no problem with going back and re-reading one chapter a day for each discussion.

Needless to say I'm all for A Night in the Lonesome October.

message 8: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That sounds more like a plan, Greyweather.

message 9: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Would anyone like to nominate another book for October or not? (You may have to dodge stones, but I know some of you are brave souls.) Seriously, it can be a tough book to find at a decent price, so if you would like to read anything else, please let us know.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments As an alternate, I would like to throw The Guns of Avalon up there. Great to follow thru from the first Amber book. I would also like to read Lonesome October, but it's looking to be a challenge to find it. I'd personally like to see both books chosen. At least I'd be able to participate in a GoA discussion, and I'm still hoping to find aNitLO.

Anitlo. Cool.....

message 11: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Neither book is a long read & it would be nice to continue the series. There's a lot more to discuss out of "Lonesome October" though. There are so many mysteries going on. I'm up for both if everyone else is.

Any more nominations?

Should I do a poll on whether we continue the Amber series AND still do a monthly read?

Other suggestions?

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments Jim wrote: "Should I do a poll on whether we continue the Amber series AND still do a monthly read?
..."

A better way of stating what I was suggesting. I'm in.

message 13: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments I might not be in for october since i'm leaving for Africa in few weeks but i like the idea of having the choice between Amber series group reads and other Monthly reads.

message 14: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 22 comments Good ideas! I like the idea of continuing the Amber series.... So, while reading 'A Night in the Lonesome October' and discussing that novel in October, we can have a side discussion on 'The Guns of Avalon'. Then in the next ten months we will have had great discussions on the 'The Chronicles of Amber'; while still having a different Zelazny novel to read every month as well. Also, sometimes it is a little difficult to find Zelazny's books because most are out of print (ich kann es einfach nicht verstehen). From what I have noticed recently is that every major bookstore and library have been carrying the Amber books. So, if anyone is having trouble getting the months chosen book, they can at least participate in the Amber discussions.

message 15: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Anyone want to vote "No" or doesn't want to read both? If not, then let's do both.

I just finished "The Sign of the Unicorn" at lunch today. As much as I'd like to continue on with the series, I don't want to get too far ahead, so I guess I'll read something else next.

message 16: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments Amber books are very easy to find thats positive compared to his other books. I could choose beteween different versions by Masterworks series,other publishers.

For other monthly books can we vote for at first books that are in print or easy to find as second hand for us international readers like me ?

Lord of Light is easy,Jack of Shadows etc

message 17: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Ability for folks to find the monthly read is certainly a must. I know some are tough to find or are expensive. A Night in the Lonesome October is not one of the easiest or cheapest.

Any one having trouble getting a copy?

message 18: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 63 comments Jim wrote: "Ability for folks to find the monthly read is certainly a must. I know some are tough to find or are expensive. A Night in the Lonesome October is not one of the easiest or cheapest...."

Oddly enough it seems that used copies of the hardback edition are cheaper online than used paperback copies.

I lucked out and my library had two copies.

message 19: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments My library sucks, SFF wise only the likes Asimov,PKD(movie books),Heinlein,ACC.

I have no trouble finding second hand online when its famous authors like Zelazny but it takes weeks to get hold of a book like that with the shipping.

If we vote for a book early i can get it.

message 20: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments I don't think we need a vote this month since no one seems to have disagreed with "A Night In Lonesome October" & "The Guns of Avalon". Let me know if I'm wrong.

message 21: by Mohammed , Dilvish The Damned (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) | 83 comments I was thinking about future months,group reads.

This month is no trouble i have The Guns of Avalon as my current read.

I'm getting several other RZ books anyway in coming weeks.

message 22: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Mohammed, send me an email with books you're interested in. My son is supposed to be doing the same. If I come across them cheap, I'll pick them up for you & send you a care package.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "I don't think we need a vote this month since no one seems to have disagreed with "A Night In Lonesome October" & "The Guns of Avalon". Let me know if I'm wrong."

I did find my copy of Lonesome October by R.Z. My library also had a copy. So I'm all geared up & open for it :)