I'm Trying to Get a Book Published! discussion

Writers H-M! > Marise

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Hi everyone; I'm Marise, 22. I'm trying to publish a young adult fantasy/science fiction, "History of the Timelaws." It's time-traveltastic! Lol.

Sample chapters are available on my page if anyone's interested.

It seems, and for good reason, that the authors in this group are eager to have their work reviewed and are happy to review other peoples work. Here's heads up for anyone who's interested: I'm a member of this free site called youwriteon. Authors of short stories or books post up sample chapters or the whole short story for reviews by other authors. The cool thing is that if you review someone's work then you're guaranteed to have your work reviewed by someone else. The link is: www.youwriteon.com

I understand that something similar is happening in this group as well, which is wonderful! Still, it never hurts to post your work as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

Marise

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Dixon (ronempressblogspotcom) | 12 comments Actually, it can. Private groups aren't frowned on as much by publishers because loggin in is controlled, but putting your work out there for anyone to read is tantamount to publishing it yourself. I've seen many editors/agents AND publishers comment that there's nothing in it for them to publish something that has potentially already reached and saturated its target audience.

If you do post online, make sure you don't leave your work on indefinately and do try to use private sites and not things like personal blogs that are open to anyone.

message 3: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Fair enough. However, this site does require you to log-on and you don't post your whole work if it's a full novel; only the first three chapters. I doubt this site reaches enough people that it would put publishers off since it's only frequented by other authors.

That said, everyone knows what's right for their work. I do warn that the critiques on the site, while very helpful, can be somewhat harsh.

message 4: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Hi Marise!

I'm happy to see that you are now a member of this group. I see that you have been posting excerpts from your sequel. Since I'm a fan, I'm going to have to make some time to read it. Can't wait to see what new adventures you have in store for us. Hope everything is going well for you. I'll be monitoring this thread so that I can chime in on your discussions. Talk to you soon!

message 5: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Thanks Kevis,
It's always good to hear from you. Though I recommend holding off a few more days before reading my work. I've tried something new today with chapters 2 and 3 and I want to see what the response to it is on youwriteon before I post the change here on goodreads.

message 6: by Marise (last edited Aug 12, 2009 01:32PM) (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments My query letter:

The classic time paradox question: If I go back in time to change the past, and succeed, then will I have ever had reason to go back in the first place? Or better yet, if I go back in time to change events, when will I start remembering the new order? Elizabeth doesn’t know the answers to these questions any more then you or I. However, she’s going to have to find those answers real fast if she wants to continue existing.

“History of the Timelaws” is a 53,000 word young adult blend of fantasy and science fiction narrated by a fifteen-year old girl. Elizabeth runs a universe-wide sector of a military-like, magical society she calls ‘Dark’. As she tells readers in the prolog, Elizabeth is the type of girl who can handle herself in a fight: fist, knife, or magical. She learned the first two forms of combat growing up in a rough neighborhood with her two older brothers. Their parents passed away three years ago, in 1979, leaving Elizabeth to inherit her father’s rank.

Elizabeth is surrounded by people who care deeply for her and who know not to take life too seriously. Her closest friends are the type of people who discus what color they would like to make the presidential urine where they not so careful about abusing their powers. But if the timeline changes, all of this and more could be at stake. The very war between wizards and Darks might be lost.

Soon, Elizabeth finds herself facing a universe without Timelaws. Timelaws are created by a spell that prevents good and evil magical beings alike from causing time paradoxes or changing events in their personal past. Without Timelaws, chaos ensues, and Elizabeth has to find a way to take command of an ever changing universe.

To make matters worse, her oldest brother, who doesn’t know magic exists, starts to suspect that Elizabeth’s keeping secrets from him. His concerns are confirmed when wizards attack him and Elizabeth’s other sibling.

The plot is complex and emotional, but not without elements of humor. Take for example the scene where I describe a street alley knife fight against invisible wizards: the wizards have magic; Mark, Elizabeth’s brother, has a sharp piece of metal and no idea where to point it. It’s not a fair fight.

As a teenager, I used to love reading about strong female protagonists. As such, this book is intended for a young adult audience.

I have taken a creative writing course in college and have been member of two writers groups. I have also posted my first three chapters on youwriteon.com for reviews by other talented authors.

[Insert here reason I’ve elected to query publisher or agent X:]

I hope you are interested and I look forward to your reply. A full manuscript of my book is available upon request, though I am still polishing the final chapters. Thank you for taking the time to read my query letter.

I'd love any helpful comments anyone's willing to offer.

Marise

message 7: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Alright, I now think the first three chapters of my book that I have posted here on Goodreads are polished enough to show off.

You can read the basic idea in the query letter I have posted above. Here's the link for anyone who might be interested:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/4...

In general, I'm looking for critiques and ways to improve so I won't be offended if you read it and have negative comments.

message 8: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Hi Marise,

Looks like I have some catching up to do. Will head over to History of Time and check out your sample chapters. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

message 9: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments I look forward to your comments. Since you've read Sorcery I'm especially curious to know if you prefer this writing style to the old. I was told the way 'sorcery' was written made it hard to understand sometimes, which I can understand (and it didn't help that i didn't do a great job with commas and the like) but at the same time I thought it added character and style... Anyways, looking forward to hearing what you think Kevis.

Marise

message 10: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Marise,

I totally forgot to go back and check your story. I'm headed there now. :)

message 11: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Oh, I didn't mean to push you. And I completly understand if you read the first paragraph, decide your borred and drop it. That's good feedback too after all.

message 12: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Marise,

You've known me too long to know that I would never get bored from reading your stories, LOL! Actually, I want to give you some delicious feedback. So I'm going to to type up something that I'll more than likely send you through a PM. BTW, I love what the first chapter. I just need to finish reading the others before I give you my thoughts. Don't worry, it's coming!!! :)

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Cool story, Marise. There are some parts that got confusing--where they were, who she was talking to, what they were doing--but other than that, I'm still sitting here thinking, wow, how on earth did you come up with this great idea and how did you pull it all together so well?

message 14: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Rita J. wrote: "Cool story, Marise. There are some parts that got confusing--where they were, who she was talking to, what they were doing--but other than that, I'm still sitting here thinking, wow, how on earth d..."

Thank you Rita for taking the time to read my work. I really appreciate it. I will go back and do my best to make things clearer. Perhaps I could also add locations next to the dates at the top.

I have the wonderful intent of reading other memeber's writing... but of course classes and all else gets in the way. I'll be sure to get to your work as soon as I'm done reading Kevis's "Rogue Hunter".

message 15: by Rita (last edited Sep 03, 2009 05:54AM) (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) The good news is that my works are all shorter than Kevis's--novelettes rather than full length stories.

Despite some of my confusions, I thought your story was wonderful--very imaginative and creative and unique. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

message 16: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) it goodreads a private site?

message 17: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) It is more private than, say, a blog because you have to log in. But I am not sure what counts for Victoria's information. I've never heard this before.

I do know that Stephen King's publishers did not like it when he put out the Green Mile.

message 18: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) whats that?

message 19: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments What's what? "The Green Mile"? It's a novel, I believe narrated by someone on death row though that's all I know about it.

There are sites where you don't need to log on at all to read or post stories (like freestories.com). Either way, I generally don't post up more than a couple chapters on most sites. The one execption is the site I mentioned above (youwriteon) becuase the audiance is pretty limited (especially here in the US) and the advantages of the critism from other authors far outwieghs the potential costs for me.

message 20: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Kevis wrote: "Marise,

You've known me too long to know that I would never get bored from reading your stories, LOL! Actually, I want to give you some delicious feedback. So I'm going to to type up something tha..."

Thank you for your kind words Kevis. I'm very glad you liked chapter three! Means I got the effect I was going for. Unfortunately things slow down a bit at the beginning of chapter four while I try to indroduce the main conflict but personally I think chapter five makes it totally worth it.

I'm about half way through Rogue Hunter, and honestly I've got to say I think it's even supirior to "Legend of Witchbane." I love how fast you've kept things moving. Even if there was the slightest chance that the plot might be predictable you don't give the reader a chance to even guess before the next thing happens.

message 21: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Marise wrote: "Kevis wrote: "Marise,

You've known me too long to know that I would never get bored from reading your stories, LOL! Actually, I want to give you some delicious feedback. So I'm going to to type ..."

Also, I have to ask, am I supposed to be thinking about Mobby Dick this whole time or is that just coincidance... it seems a little too strong to be coincidence but I was never the analytical type when it comes to reading.

message 22: by Kevis (last edited Sep 12, 2009 12:36AM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments Hmmm. Moby Dick? What's that? LOL!!!!

As for chapter three of your story, it worked wonders for my curiosity. I just love a story that makes me want to know what happens next!

message 23: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Well, it's certainly been a long time since I've added to this thread, but well, now I finally have something to add. My book, History of the Timelaws was published on kindle today! It will be out in paperback in a couple of days. As mentioned before, I've posted a few early chapters on my Goodreads page in case anyone's interested in taking a peek.

message 24: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments I mentioned in my previous post that I finally got "History of the Timelaws" published via Createspace and Kindle. Now I'm on the hunt for reviews to be posted here on goodreads and on amazon. I would be willing to email anyone a free .mobi or pdf file of "History of the Timelaws" if they would promise to write me an honest review.

History of the Timelaws

It's a fun read; I swear! Lol

message 25: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments New book cover! I had a new book cover designed for HotT and I'm really excited about it. Now I need to figure out if there's a way to get the updated cover to display on goodreads instead of the original cover. Anyone have any ideas?

message 26: by Marise (new)

Marise Ghorayeb | 25 comments Just wanted to post a heads up that "History of the Timelaws" will be free on amazon in kindle format tomorrow December 24th for one day only. If you’re looking for a time travel narrative that will exercise your mind while keeping you on the edge of your seat with action packed chapters, this is the story for you.

Synopsis

Fifteen-year-old Elizabeth was raised by her oldest brother, Luke, after their parents passed away two years ago, in 1979. She’s a tough girl, capable of handling herself any kind of fight: fist, knife or magical. Growing up in a tough neighborhood taught her the first two forms of combat and she inherited the third from her parents.

Now in 1981, she is surrounded by people who care deeply for her and who know not to take life too seriously. Her closest friends are the type of people who discus what color they would like to make the presidential urine where they not so careful about abusing their powers. But if the timeline changes, all of this and more could be at stake.

If Elizabeth doesn’t learn to understand the consequences of time travel, her history, and the universe's, will all be rewritten. Unfortunately as her past changes, so does her memory.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/History-of-the-...