The Riyria Revelations discussion

General Stuff > The Characters

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments I was just wondering if Michael has drawn any sketches of what some of the main characters (Hadrian, Royce, Arista, Esrahaddon, etc.) look like in his mind. I know how they appear in my mind, but I often find that my mind doesn't necessarily match the author's intent.

message 2: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 56 comments I'm curious about that too. I never really got a good picture of what the characters looked like in my head, but it would be interesting to see Michael's interpretation of them.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments I can kinda picture Esrahaddon and Royce. For some reason, I can't get a good picture of Hadrian or Arista in my head.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
Heather wrote: "I was just wondering if Michael has drawn any sketches of what some of the main characters."

No I haven't and I have no intentions of doing so. Part of the magic of books is the ability of the reader to create their own visuals. I don't want to ruin that for anyone.

I can say that people always picture Hadrian too big, and Royce too small. Arista is attractive, but in the unique way a woman who does not think of herself as attractive can be.

Now I suppose someone will come along, make a movie and ruin everything. Although I have to admit, there are times I'm really in the mood to pop The Crown Conspiracy into the DVD player and watch it.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments You're right. Part of the fun of reading is seeing it through your own mind's eye. I just remembered that Tolkien had left behind a very detailed "record" of his imaginations and that was used to help the creation of the movie. I remember people being impressed by how accurate the scenery and characters were in the movies. Since I know you're an artist (in addition to a writer - amazing), I was just curious. If you ever do draw them out, I'd love to see - just to see if my mind was anywhere close to what you imagine! Interestingly, artist renderings - and even movies - rarely affect my own vision of characters if I have read the book(s) first!

I agree about the DVD player. I would love to see The Crown Conspiracy on the big screen!