Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
This topic is about A Second Chance
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Second Chance [June 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
June 2018

Daniel | 1536 comments In for this

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Any one else reading this? I'm going to start soon but if it's just me I'll push it to later. On the official schedule it says it's for the 15th.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments I will be... I think others will too... my schedule is starting to slow down... so I'm almost caught up... except I keep adding romance novels now...

Anni | 5013 comments I will be there too :) But I need to finish the second book first 😅 I was distracted by other books, I hope that I will be done this weekend :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Great! I plan on starting this one this weekend. I have another book to finish first, but this one looks like it'll be a quick read :-)

Daniel | 1536 comments I will be in as well. Happy Reading

Daniel | 1536 comments Well I am not sure if I am more interested in people’s ongoing commentaries during their reads....

Or I cannot wait for others to finish to get their reactions. I know lain is rereading. End of book spoiler(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments They have 2 settings... love/betrayal... I started my re-read last night, and am approaching the end already... this is one I remember quite vividly because of what I mentioned before about the Reset Button... (view spoiler)

The humor in this was great, actually, after the trainwreck over in the Naughty Book Club, re-reading Seduction & Snacks...

message 10: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1520 comments "Love" my ass. That ship drives me up the wall. I have grown to like Max, but every time Farrell comes on screen... //strangles the air with bare hands

Frankly, I always thought that the plot arc of the St. Mary's ship only got in the way of the antics of the cast. The latter is far more interesting.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Yea... I know we all don't really care for the Max/Farrell "romance"... but those are the emotions they fluctuate between... or think they do, anyway... (view spoiler)

If Max/Farrell wasn't a thing to cause drama, the books would need 50% more material... they take up so much page-space...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments That's just it. Their drama feels like book filler. It's so over the top it's eye rolly. I'm at 42% and while I love ancient Greek history and myth, I'm bored. I feel like the first book was great because of it's novelty but after that you know what to expect so there's nothing really new. I know you rereaders said it gets better in book 4, so I'm looking forward to that.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Book 4 doesn't have time for a lot of the Max/Farrell drama, I don't think (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Iain wrote: "Book 4 doesn't have time for a lot of the Max/Farrell drama, I don't think [spoilers removed]"

You know I'm not opening that spoiler right?

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to open it once you finish this book... I mean, it just reveals a little about what the last paragraph of the book was about... so you'll learn it in the first 5 pages of the 4th book anyway...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Iain wrote: "I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to open it once you finish this book... I mean, it just reveals a little about what the last paragraph of the book was about... so you'll learn it in the fi..."

I'll wait till I finish the book. I'm still only half way through :-)

message 17: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1520 comments No Ian is right. I think the author used the ending as a excuse to fundamentally modify Farrell's character. There is no more relationship drama after this book, and whatever arguments they have get settled easily and without bs. That's why I continue to look upon the ending with favorites despite the huge amounts of Deus ex Machina.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments I guess the excuse is (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "I guess the excuse is [spoilers removed]"

That is a great point!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments I'm at 65% (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm at 65% [spoilers removed]"
RAFO...😁

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Daniel wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm at 65% [spoilers removed]""

lol, i was expecting that response.

Also, (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm at 65% [spoilers removed]""

Also, [spoilers removed]"

That's explained away by her fucked up childhood tho... and the messed up coping methods she developed...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm at 65% [spoilers removed]""

Also, [spoilers removed]"

That's explained away by her f..."

I've seen her get overly emotional about way less so it's still a weird reaction.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments 75% (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Basically the end. (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments I was the only one who was down on this book, but I hear the rest get much better. It seems like Jodi used this book to reset Max and Leon. Still was a good read.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Daniel wrote: "I was the only one who was down on this book, but I hear the rest get much better. It seems like Jodi used this book to reset Max and Leon. Still was a good read."

I'm with you on this book. It's very cliche. I'm willing to keep with the series though.

Daniel | 1536 comments Assuming the melodrama between Max and Leon vanishes, with the core elements of their character/sense of humor intact, then all will be good lol. I do enjoy her humor, and the historical spins can be pretty cool.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Basically the end. [spoilers removed]"

Yea... (view spoiler)

message 31: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1520 comments Daniel wrote: "Assuming the melodrama between Max and Leon vanishes,"

It does, and I was SO THANKFUL.

message 32: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5013 comments Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅

Daniel | 1536 comments Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

I think it refers to Jodi’s second chance to change her plot line lol.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

It'll make sense by the end...

message 35: by Daniel (last edited Jun 24, 2018 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

It'll make sense by the end..."

Question for lain
(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Daniel wrote: "Iain wrote: "Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

It'll make sense by the end..."
Question for lain
[spoilers re..."

Yea... (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Thanks

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3904 comments Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

Yes. I get why it's called that but it kept confusing me every time I picked it up.

Daniel | 1536 comments Who is going to continue next month?

message 41: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5013 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Anni wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the third book is called The second chance, or is just me being strange? 😅"

Yes. I get why it's called that but it kept confusing me every time I picke..."

Thank you! Yes, I get that the title might fit the story and that 'second Chance' is a thing, but still...

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments I could have sworn I said I was in a couple hours ago... must not have posted the comment...

message 43: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1520 comments Daniel wrote: "Who is going to continue next month?"

me

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5013 comments Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with him??

Daniel | 1536 comments I took that as their normal passive/aggressive humor...

message 46: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 26, 2018 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Anni wrote: "Chapter 8..."

*dreamy sigh*

This is a romance for the ages... *ba-dum-tsh*

*Zaara-esque snort*

Daniel | 1536 comments Iain wrote: "Anni wrote: "Chapter 8..."

*dreamy sigh*

*Zaara-esque snort*"

?? Hmmm I guess must be an inside joke...lol

message 48: by Sha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sha | 1520 comments farrell is just as asshole. //this is a hill i'm willing to die defending
well, farrell 1.0 anyway.

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Daniel wrote: "Iain wrote: "Anni wrote: "Chapter 8..."

*dreamy sigh*

*Zaara-esque snort*"

?? Hmmm I guess must be an inside joke...lol"

Zaara just snorts alot in other threads... usually when talking about me being a non-evil person...

I edited in the drum noise when I realized I'd been punny...

message 50: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 26, 2018 09:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 13571 comments Sha wrote: "farrell is just as asshole. //this is a hill i'm willing to die defending
well, farrell 1.0 anyway."

Missed your chance to use the "change my mind" meme:

Altho, the general form of the meme is to claim something that always causes an argument like "pineapple is the best pizza topping" or something nobody would agree with...

« previous 1