Fear Fantastique discussion

TV > Dexter

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
The new season of Dexter starts in September, and it looks great. I've watched most of the Comic Con footage on youtube.com - a new serial killer played by John Lithgow is coming on the scene (and for once, it looks like Dexter isn't going to pal up with him/sleep with him/be related to him). Keith Carradine's FBI agent comes back to ask Dexter to help him capture this guy, the Trinity Killer. Plus, Dexter has a new baby to help take care of! Looks both dark and hilarious.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
New episode tonight! Whoo-hoo!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
The season starts with a literal bang. Plus, Lithgow's serial killer is going to be a great foil to Dexter.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
Caught up on this last night - the last ep was very dark, drawing comparisons between the Trinity killer and Dexter.

Anyone else watching this?

message 5: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) haven't made it past Season 3 yet...

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
As season 4 rolls along, Dexter almost seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown. It's been rumored that the Trinity killer will murder a major character - I used to like Rita, but at this point I have to agree with the critics out there - she's gotten rather annoying. I feel sorry for Dexter these days, juggling work and caring for 2 stepkids plus a baby (and serial killing too! wow!).

Just watched the first animated ep online of Dexter: The Early Years - really liked it. If you're into graphic novels, or Dexter, you'll probably enjoy it. To me it seems a bit creepier than the TV series, since it's stripped down to Michael C. Hall's always devastating voice-over, and animation of Dexter's first murders. Here's the link - http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/earlyc...

Enjoy!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
The last ep I watched was extreeemely harrowing - it delves into family abuse, and Dexter grappling with the issue of whether he really can be a good family man - how will he influence the kids, e.g.? Some very tough questions. This series continues to mutate in interesting ways...

message 8: by Amy (last edited Nov 30, 2009 01:38PM) (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
And the next ep is pretty darn harrowing as well. This just might be the best season ever (seriously). I know some of you out there avoid TV like the plague, but this series is worth the rental. It's darker than dark and doesn't flinch.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
A lot of people suspected what the big plot twist at the end of this run would be - but it was still tough to watch. Best season since the first, hands down.

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 4 comments I was not ready for the twist but it was great. I really enjoyed this season

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) I've FINALLY requested the first three books of the series from the library. Always wanted to read them, but they never make it on my list and I go crazy in a bookstore, music store or library if I don't have a list. For those of you who've read the books AND watch the show, should I read the books then Netflix it or just Netflix it now?

message 12: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) Michelle wrote: "I've FINALLY requested the first three books of the series from the library. Always wanted to read them, but they never make it on my list and I go crazy in a bookstore, music store or library if ..."

If you watch the series before reading the first book, then you could ruin some things, but after that, they both part ways with a few things crossing over here and there.

Read the first book, after that, do what you will, it won't ruin anything. Personally I like book Dexter better than TV Dexter, but both are entertaining.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 339 comments Mod
I haven't read any of the books, because I know they are a bit different than the show - but I am curious at the same time.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (lifeasabooknerd) Thanks Jerrod, that's exactly what I needed to know and super helpful. I'd say that goes for the books and the show TRUE BLOOD. The first season is pretty true to the first book, and after that, there's many changes, so you can really appreciate both the book and the show together.