Recipes Galore discussion

Casseroles > Seafood Casserole using Ready For Oven Noodles

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (new)

Petra I saw some "ready for the oven" Canneloni pasta in the store last week and just had to give it a try. "Ready for the oven" pasta doesn't have to be cooked before using and cooks in the oven.

I made a stuffing with 500ml (2 cups) of Ricotta Cheese, 2 eggs, chopped cooked shrimp and some fake crabmeat. I spiced it with raw onions (chopped fine), garlic, salt & pepper. The seafood had to be chopped in order to fit into the Canneloni tubes. I stuffed a pan of tubes (about 16).

Made the sauce by sauteeing some more onions and mushrooms in butter, adding a few tablespoons of flour (when the veggies were done) and then
enough milk to make a sauce a bit thinner than usual (as per the Canneloni package instructions). Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and a moderate "titch" of Sweet Chili Sauce (seafood sauce would work well
but we didn't have any). This was poured over the Canneloni tubes.

I topped this with some grated cheddar/mozza cheese, covered the pan with tin foil and baked it in the oven (325 deg.) for about an hour. I removed the tin foil for about 10 minutes to brown the cheese a bit, then served.

The noodles were properly cooked and the meal was tasty. Stuffing the noodles is much, much easier with uncooked pasta than it is with cooked pasta tubes.

This recipe could be used with the Oven Ready Lasagna noodles as well, I think. Also, you could make a meat sauce instead of a seafood sauce to stuff the canneloni tubes with also.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) Petra,

This sounds yummy with the seafood stuffing. Oven ready noodles aren't always easy to obtain at my grocers. Instead, I use regular lasagna noodles and add an additional cup of liquid to my sauce, either water or tomato juice. This works exceptionally well and saves me the bother of boiling noodles.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Lisa, that's a good tip! I never thought of using "regular" noodles and not cooking them. I thought the "oven ready" were somehow partially cooked and then re-dried. Maybe not??? Maybe they are just plain "regular" noodles!! :)

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali | 130 comments Mod
This does sound yummy, Petra...thanks for posting it!

:)