Silent World — A discussion group discussion

Deaf culture > Life and deaf documentary

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments I work at a school for the deaf and last year there was a film crew following a few kids around for a whole year. I did my best to avoid the cameras. The documentary is airing next thursday on channel 4. Link for info here.

https://digiguide.tv/programme/Docume...

If you see any kids wearing a white box around their neck, that is my creation. It is used so the kids can plug in their hearing aids or implants and hear everything that is said in class.

Fingers crossed it doesnt make the school look terrible.

message 2: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 49 comments Mod
Do you appear on camera at all, mate?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments Hopefully not. If you spot a big beard then that`ll be me

message 4: by Harry (new)

Harry Whitewolf | 6 comments Cool. Will check out that documentary for sure.

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Vriezen (Vriezen) | 4 comments I saw the previews for that show on my timeline. Is it possible to access the show from the states?

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments Sorry i dont know. It might be available online afterwards

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments I thought it was a poor docu, very little was explained. Shame really.

message 8: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 49 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "I thought it was a poor docu, very little was explained. Shame really."

Really?
Did the director do a poor job?
What went wrong with it?
And did the film accurately portray the Deaf?

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 22 comments Poor job by the director. It was claimed one of the lads had behaviour issues, these issues are to do with him being deaf, it wasn't explained. When he spoke there was subtitles, because his speech is bad, that was fine but randomly they dubbed over a voice, was odd, were they trying to make you think his speech had suddenly improved?

They didn't really say why he was at a school for the deaf, instead it felt he was there because he couldn't cope in the real world.

Shame as they could have done a much better job.

The twin girls had a smaller part but that was better, one of them is far less secure than the other and is scared about going out to the shops on her own.

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Vriezen (Vriezen) | 4 comments Shame indeed. I haven’t seen it just yet, but I’ve seen enough of similar narratives that feel way off base to me as a Deaf person and my experiences. Seemed like a cool enough concept but seems they dropped the ball. The concept does have merit though and I hope that one day it can be pulled off.