Q&A with Jennifer Finney Boylan discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 2 comments What a wonderful book! There are so many things to discuss with this one, but as a mom I am dying to ask you about your children and their experiences with ALL the ghosts of Coffin House.

My 9 year old daughter also read your book, and her questions were honest and understanding -- much more about the ghosts than your change from James to Jenny (we live in NY - this is nothing new for us here!). Thank you for writing such a wonderful memoir that digs deep into the various types of hauntings out there, and thank you for being such a strong role model of diversity and tolerance.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 23 comments Mod
The best question I've gotten on book tour so far came from a 7 years old, who simply said, "are you afraid of ghosts?'

So obvious a question I had never really thought about this before. In the end I said, well, some ghosts scare me. But the ghosts that are really just part of us, those are the ones I want to make peace with.

My boys, since you mention them, are really great. I have more about them in the "message board" of my web site, www.jenniferboylan.net, but I'll just say here they are turning into fine young men. Very smart, and very funny, and very loving.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 2 comments Great! The most moving ghost for me was the ghost of your sister -- so glad to hear that you made a connection with her. You developed her so well in the memoir, and although your pain came out loud and clear I pitied her more for closing out you and your family.

Perhaps the scariest ghosts are the ones that haunt the people we love? Glad to hear that this one is going back into the abyss!

Your sons are beautiful and wise -- I loved reading your eldest son's letter. Congratulations again on a beautiful book and a beautiful life!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 23 comments Mod

My older boy is way cool. Last week a crew from the History Channel was here (don't ask). They interviewed him-- "do you have a normal family?"

He laughed and he said, yes, mostly-- "except that unlike in a 'normal' family, we don't hate our parents. We love them."

Stupid kid.