Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
This topic is about Living Dead in Dallas
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Living Dead in Dallas [Jan 14, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 2958 comments Mod
Jan 14th

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments I just started the book, so I can start Red Seas Under Red Skies soon... and right off the bat is the first major deviation from the show, in my eyes... (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3828 comments Iain wrote: "I just started the book, so I can start Red Seas Under Red Skies soon... and right off the bat is the first major deviation from the show, in my eyes... [spoilers removed]"

That's def the most prominent thing they changed in the show. I really loved the character.

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments Yea... I'm nearing the end, and it was by far the biggest change I saw... this and other smaller changes seemed designed to expand the plot into a full season (view spoiler)...

Makes me wonder if/when the show just deviates completely or starts mixing and matching and compressing storylines... because there are a lot more books than seasons...

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments I finished this at work last night... (view spoiler)

Siobhan (Poi5onGirl) | 4916 comments Iain wrote: "Yea... I'm nearing the end, and it was by far the biggest change I saw... this and other smaller changes seemed designed to expand the plot into a full season [spoilers removed]...

Makes me wonder..."

From what I remember, this is the last book the show made any effort to follow. It pretty much goes off on one from season 3. BUT I stopped watching season 3 because I just couldn't get into it, so it might head back towards the books at some point and I wouldn't know. :)

message 7: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments Innnn

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments I guess I'll know for sure in 2 short weeks...

Siobhan (Poi5onGirl) | 4916 comments Iain wrote: "I guess I'll know for sure in 2 short weeks..."

Haha yeah let me know :)

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments I got a bit confused in book 2 because there's a cop called Alcy or something... and is close to Alcide, the werewolf in sound...

message 11: by Yanique (last edited Jan 14, 2018 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yanique Gillana | 728 comments I’ll be starting this tomorrow when I finish my current physical read. I love how these books are short and I can just gobble them up in one or two sittings.

I think the core issue of each book is represented in each season for the first 3 seasons, after which the show went on the worst possible tangent....

Siobhan (Poi5onGirl) | 4916 comments Iain wrote: "I got a bit confused in book 2 because there's a cop called Alcy or something... and is close to Alcide, the werewolf in sound..."

Yeah that is really similar, would definitely confuse me too if i was listening.

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments Yanique wrote: "I’ll be starting this tomorrow when I finish my current physical read. I love how these books are short and i can just gobble them up in on or two sittings.

I think the core issue of each book is..."

(view spoiler)

Yanique Gillana | 728 comments Iain wrote: "Yanique wrote: "I’ll be starting this tomorrow when I finish my current physical read. I love how these books are short and i can just gobble them up in on or two sittings.

I think the core issue..."

seriously
(view spoiler)

Nyssa | 156 comments I plan to start this later tonight, and I hope to get in some quality reading time tomorrow if I can finish my math notes and homework in a timely manner.

Yanique Gillana | 728 comments Nyssa wrote: "I plan to start this later tonight, and I hope to get in some quality reading time tomorrow if I can finish my math notes and homework in a timely manner."

I do NOT envy you on the homework front. I was so happy to say good bye forever to homework when I turned in my dissertation. Luckily this is a light, quick read.

Nyssa | 156 comments Yanique wrote: "I do NOT envy you on the homework front. I was so happy to say good bye forever to homework when I turned in my dissertation. Luckily this is a light, quick read."

Its funny, I'm more annoyed by required readings, most of the time, than by the actual homework. Today I'm concentrating on my education class, and my Integrating Technology in the Classroom textbook, Web 2.0: New Tools, New Schools is boring me to tears! I keep getting distracted (which is why I'm currently on GR). So these first two chapters have taken me ten times longer to read than they should have!

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments I loved math until I was 19 and got a terrible Calc 2 Emeritus professor that taught the material AFTER you did the homework using the material... I passed that class with a 67% B and never regained my footing in upper-level mathematics...

message 19: by Nyssa (last edited Jan 14, 2018 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nyssa | 156 comments Iain wrote: "I loved math until I was 19 and got a terrible Calc 2 Emeritus professor that taught the material AFTER you did the homework using the material... I passed that class with a 67% B and never regained..."

I'm a Middle-Grade Maths Education major becuase I was so terrified of mathematics in middle and high school.

My daughter's Algebra 2 teacher (who was also her Geometry teacher) does the same thing as your Calc 2 Prof., and she absolutely hates it. I don't understand that process myself. Homework =Parctice, not instruction, so what are the kids supposed to gain from doing it first?

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments Stress is what I gained... of course, this course used the same math book as the Calc 1 class and I had the teacher's manual with the answers from a classmate... but in Calc 2 (and Algebra), that just shows you the answer, not how to get there... homework takes many times longer when you have to figure out how to accomplish the work instead of just applying what you learned... as you said...

Shaitarn . | 1423 comments Starting this today; it'll be a pleasant break from GotM!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3828 comments Was going to start this today but decided to give up on GotM in audio and pick it up on kindle, so need to push this one back a bit till I finish that one since this one I have on kindle.

Nyssa | 156 comments Just started and I'm already perplexed by something.

Chapter One; page 10:
With Bud was Alcee Beck, the only African American detective on the parish force.

Did Harris forget about Kenya (of Kenya and Kevin) or is the distinction the fact that he is a detective as opposed to an officer?

message 24: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Jan 14, 2018 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3828 comments Nyssa wrote: "Just started and I'm already perplexed by something.

Chapter One; page 10:

With Bud was Alcee Beck, the only African American detective on the parish force.

Did Harris forget about Kenya (of K..."

Edited comment for clarity: They were just standard officers. Detective is a higher level.

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Just started... I liked the Cook! And I feel for the cop, Andy... He is having a bad 24 hours....

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments @Choko: Then the TV show might be to your liking... (view spoiler)

Nyssa | 156 comments Sadly, the actor who portrayed Lafayette on the show, died last summer. :(

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments I would have loved that! Sad about the actor....

As far as the storytelling, this author does a very good job pacing and moving things along. She tells more than she shows, but it works for her. I like that😊

message 29: by Choko (last edited Jan 15, 2018 09:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Up to Ch. 4... (view spoiler)

message 30: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments I like this better than the last one. Possibly because the romantic relationship is already established do I can handwaves it and not grumble about instalove.

I continue to be fond of Sookie.

About chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 31: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments I like this better than the last one. Possibly because the romantic relationship is already established do I can handwaves it and not grumble about instalove.

I continue to be fond of Sookie.

About chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments BEHOLD: The Love Dodecahedron:

From TVTropes...

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 4... that kiss, with Sam, she kind of just waved it off, hmm? A bit weird since she is all proper about her morals and stuff... I guess she doesn't want to make it weird with a friend an..."

Sookie lets a lot of things slide (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments I'm looking forward to orgy jokes. :D

Also it turns out Inda is an entry in the literature subpage for love dodecahedron. Now I feel wary. //why can't everyone just be platonically in love with each other romance is messy

Shaitarn . | 1423 comments Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Chapter 2: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9666 comments @Shaitarn: You get a lot of answers later in this book...

Shaitarn . | 1423 comments @ Iain: you want to know what's really funny/amusing? I have actually read this book before years ago and I cannot remember a thing that happens (that's not a complaint; it's actually a good thing in this case!)!

message 38: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments Heels are evil. I feel you Sookie I FEEL you.

I can never get over the fact the default formal footwear for women is heals. There's nothing formal about them.

message 39: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments (view spoiler)

message 40: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 15, 2018 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 41: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 42: by Sha (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha | 1202 comments (view spoiler)

Nyssa | 156 comments Shaitarn wrote: "@ Iain: you want to know what's really funny/amusing? I have actually read this book before years ago and I cannot remember a thing that happens (that's not a complaint; it's actually a good thing ..."

^Same!!

Nyssa | 156 comments I didn't get very far last night. I fell asleep. Then, I had to pause my coursework for a few hours to run errands. Just got home, and ate lunch, so its back to math, and I will hopefully get some reading in later.

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Ch. 5.... (view spoiler)

I like Sookie and her boyfriend. They are very likable for now, but I have been disappointed before, so I don't want to get too attached yet... There are way too many books in the series yet 😀

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Sha wrote: "love quadrilaterals....."

Hahahaha! Exactly:)

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Iain wrote: "Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 4... that kiss, with Sam, she kind of just waved it off, hmm? A bit weird since she is all proper about her morals and stuff... I guess she doesn't want to make it weird wit..."

Yeah, for a gal with a temper she sure lets things by:):):)

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Chapter 1: ......"

Al the Bellefleures seem interesting and there is some history with Bill and that family, which I am sure we will eventually find out...

And the Maenad is truly one of the more random choices for a supernatural I could have ever come up with!!! Points for originality:):):)

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Sha wrote: "Heels are evil. I feel you Sookie I FEEL you.

I can never get over the fact the default formal footwear for women is heals. There's nothing formal about them."

True that!!! I can count on two hands how many times I have worn them in my life and I regret every one of those times!!!

Choko (ChokoG) | 3539 comments Sha wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

That would be awesome!!!

« previous 1