UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > Claim to Fame

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 536 comments Mod
Has anyone here met any authors or even know any? I know an author called A. C. Bentley, who at the moment has only written the one book - An Apple for the Teacher. My name's in the front of it too :D

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Thats impressive Zoe! I have no stories like that unfortunately

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3555 comments I met Bill oddie at our local Waterstones. He is a great guy.

message 4: by Faith (new)

Faith Mortimer (httpwwwgoodreadsfaith) | 9 comments Hi everyone,

Thought I'd let you know that my publishers have entered my novel The Crossing in for the Guardians' 1st time novel award! Great - fingers crossed...

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Congratulations!

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith Mortimer (httpwwwgoodreadsfaith) | 9 comments Thank you!

message 7: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Ooh wow! Well done! :D

message 8: by Faith (last edited Sep 08, 2009 04:46AM) (new)

Faith Mortimer (httpwwwgoodreadsfaith) | 9 comments Thank you again! The Crossing The Crossing by Faith Mortimer

message 9: by Dani (new)

Dani C (PentopaperBlog) | 118 comments I've met a few authors. Last year I met R.J. Ellory at a creative writing talk in a Birmingham Waterstones store. He was really friendly and spoke to us about the difficulties of getting an agent/publisher and gave us advice on the subject. I've also met Ian Rankin at a signing, and a month or so later I met Justin Lee Collins when he was signing his new book.

The most exciting for me though is coming up this Wednesday. I'm going into Birmingham to meet Jasper Fforde and get my books signed. I read The Eyre Affair when I was 12 and it was one of the books that introduced me to adult reading - I've read his new book Shades of Grey ready and have some questions to fire his way :) Very exciting!!

message 10: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I've had a book signed by another author but it was a long time ago and I don't actually remember who it was!

message 11: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments when I had my horse I was competing in a competition and I shook hands with Prince Phil

message 12: by Nick 2E0NAQ (new)

Nick 2E0NAQ (nick196742) | 694 comments Aly Monroe is pointing me in the right direction with writing my book. she is a real nice lady too

message 13: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jan 25, 2010 12:13AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3555 comments I have met The Duchess of Gloucester when I work in the HIVE (Help Information Volunteer Exchange) for Army Wives.

Through HIVE I also met The Duchess of York on the day the first Gulf War ended and had lunch with her in the officers mess.

As a young army wife my husband and I were invited to a Royal Garden Party in Dortmund and we were introduced to the Queen, who spoke to both of us, it was a fantasic day!

message 14: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

I was in a TV advert for DJ Otzi once in Austria! lol. I've also met Linda Barker and Nick Knowles. Though I didn't now who Nick was at the time :D

message 15: by Jo (last edited Jan 25, 2010 03:39AM) (new)

Jo Dani (Voguedotcom) wrote: "I've met a few authors. Last year I met R.J. Ellory at a creative writing talk in a Birmingham Waterstones store. He was really friendly and spoke to us about the difficulties of getting an agent/p..."

I'm jealous you met Justin Lee Collins. I love him!

message 16: by Dani (last edited Jan 25, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Dani C (PentopaperBlog) | 118 comments Jo wrote: "Dani (Voguedotcom) wrote: "I've met a few authors. Last year I met R.J. Ellory at a creative writing talk in a Birmingham Waterstones store. He was really friendly and spoke to us about the difficu..."

Yeah he's awesome. I can't believe how energetic he is ... even at a book signing. He must have been exhausted after keeping that up for the whole 2 and a bit hours he was there for!!

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo He's always like that on tv too. Maybe he just collapses once hes done!

message 18: by Dani (new)

Dani C (PentopaperBlog) | 118 comments Jo wrote: "He's always like that on tv too. Maybe he just collapses once hes done! "

I think that's more than likely - no person could possible have that much energy continuously!

message 19: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 278 comments I 'chat' with a couple of authors, Charlotte Featherstone and Megan Hart ( I don't think they'll me mentioning their names) via GRs, Face book, and sometimes their blog pages. I think 'new technology' has made this type of interaction far more accessable and wonderful. It's lovely to be able to pass on your appreciation to an author for a book/story they've written which has given you pleasure/satisfaction/enlightnment to read.

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo I love authors that will speak to fans via goodreads and other places. I have spoken to a few that way.

message 21: by 4cats (new)

4cats (fourcats) had my sandwiches a few years back with Ian M Banks, have met a few kids authors, Chris Ryan, John Connelly, and a few others

message 22: by John (new)

John | 15 comments Zoe wrote: "Has anyone here met any authors or even know any? I know an author called A. C. Bentley, who at the moment has only written the one book - An Apple for the Teacher. My name's in the ..."
It looks like an interesting read, Zoe. Why's your name in the front of it?

message 23: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

John wrote: "Why's your name in the front of it?"

He put my name in the front as a thank you for proof-reading part of it

message 24: by Ian (last edited May 30, 2011 01:30PM) (new)

Ian Weaver | 11 comments I met Desmond Bagley when I was visiting Guernsey in HMS Guernsey (circa 1979). He came on board for a cocktail party and invited a few of us back to his home. He had shelves and shelves of his own books, in all sorts of languages, and invited us to choose one each, which he promptly signed. I chose High Citadel.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4240 comments Dame Edna, she gave me some flowers so that was surreal. Tad Williams at a book signing. That author from Yorkshire and a kids book author at Teacher training events. Janny Wurts has chatted to me on Goodreads. Locally I sometimes see Corrie stars around town.

message 26: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 5544 comments Mod
I once sat next to David Coulthard at an awards dinner

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian Weaver | 11 comments Other famous people I've met - I was on the same helicopter squadron (829) in the RN as Prince Andrew, though we never flew together. I was also on the same squadron (360) as Rory Underwood (England rugby player) and flew with him regularly.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I've exchanged emails with Neil Gaiman (nice bloke) and with Terry Pratchett's agent. My most impressive brush with fame isn't book-related, though: Patrick Stewart called me! (Long story... I was doing a lot of theatre at the time.)

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4240 comments I love Neil Gaiman, he made a super Dr Who episode a few weeks ago. OMG Patrick Stewart!!!!!! My daughter sent me a text today saying she was going to be 2 doors up from a Kaiser Chief next Sept.

message 30: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I have met.... Alan Titchmarsh. I had to take my mum... embarrassing she fancies the pants off him.

message 31: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 994 comments My claim to fames all seem to revolve around children's authors.

As a very young kid (5 or so) Mike Young (creator of Super Ted) lived in the same village as my Nan. I can remember sitting on his knee being read super ted. Oh and somewhere in the attic I've got a Super Teddy based on designs he gave my Nan.

Also my great gran was nanny to Roald Dhal (she's mentioned in Boy as he asked my grans permission to include the story).

Last week I also got to me the cast of BBC3's Being Human - as there filming the new series next door to my Mum's friends house.

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael Parker (MichaelParker) | 98 comments Although I was raised in South London (Wandsworth & Battersea), I come from an East End family. My second cousin, who sadly died earlier this year, was John Sullivan, writer of the TV hit comedy Only Fools & Horses.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Parker (MichaelParker) | 98 comments I was in a local market with my wife and bumped into some friends. They introduced me to their companion as 'Michael Parker, the author'. Their friend shook my hand and said, 'Oh, a real live author'.

message 34: by Helen (last edited Aug 27, 2011 02:21PM) (new)

Helen | 4240 comments I want to meet Being Human cast too! We had the creator of that kids prog up the steet - with Jones the steam, Idris the dragon etc.

message 35: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 2941 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "I want to meet Being Human cast too! We had the creator of that kids prog up the steet - with Jones the steam, Idris the dragon etc."

'Ivor the Engine'! So that's either Oliver Postgate or Peter Fermin then? I bought 'Ivor', 'the Clangers' and 'Bagpuss' on DVD for my son to enjoy. He loves them as much as I did when I was a kid...

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4240 comments No idea of the guys name, just always spouted by the lady who lived few doors up. Quite often see Coronation street cast in town. Only recognise the famous ones though as I don't watch it!

message 37: by Editio (new)

Editio  (EditioMedia) | 10 comments Since I own a web site to help self-published authors, I have several authors on my staff. Authors are the best people to know. I wish I was creative like that.

message 38: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyjoa) | 17 comments Michael wrote: "Although I was raised in South London (Wandsworth & Battersea), I come from an East End family. My second cousin, who sadly died earlier this year, was John Sullivan, writer of the TV hit comedy On..."

very much missed. His script writing and imagination entertained me for many years. I'm sorry for your loss!

message 39: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 994 comments Liz wrote: "Helen wrote: "I want to meet Being Human cast too! We had the creator of that kids prog up the steet - with Jones the steam, Idris the dragon etc."

'Ivor the Engine'! So that's either Oliver Postg..."

Ah Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, Old Fat Furry Catpuss used to love that as a kid.

They film quite a few TV series in cardiff/barry now - so we occasionally see Dr. Who/Sherlock stars wandering around

message 40: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4240 comments Dave!!! My mum is constantly sending me fliers for houses in Barry. If I could guarantee supply work at least, I'd move. She doesn't think I'm safe here as it kicks off every so often.

message 41: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 994 comments Helen wrote: "Dave!!! My mum is constantly sending me fliers for houses in Barry. If I could guarantee supply work at least, I'd move. She doesn't think I'm safe here as it kicks off every so often."

Must be bad if your mum thinks Barry is safer!!

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4240 comments Had a gang outside the front door half way through Torchwood tonight. We have long periods of quiet and then the hoodies start up again.

message 43: by Huw (new)

Huw Evans (DocHuw) | 9 comments The only authors I have met are Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen, Ian Stewart and Jacqueline Simpson. They all attend the Discworld Convenbtions and proved very approachable and great company in the bar

message 44: by Niall (new)

Niall | 130 comments many years ago I was in W.H.Smith the same day Magnus Magnuson was doing a book signing. before leaving he tried to elbow in front of me in a queue. I never let him, when I left the shop the put down line, "NO MAGNUS, I've started so I'll finish" came to me. bit late, but it was there if I ever needed it again.

message 45: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 31 comments I have met Michael Morpurgo at the Edinburgh Book Festival. He was such a lovely man and stayed for ages to sign all the children's books. I have also met Tom Baker and John Barrowman.

I went to the same school as Ali Smith and was in the same drama club as her. I was in first year when she was in 5th and she wrote a play that we performed in school in which I had a really small part. I have not met her since she became an author.